Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/02/24 at 11:49:30 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rip Van Woof needs catching up . . . (Read 5021 times)
woof
Ex Member

Rip Van Woof needs catching up . . .
08/31/09 at 17:13:45

My gray chassis Select has been in the closet the  past few years since I switched to a speaker that was just 86db!  So, I have a question or two:

What about the "new" SV83's from New Sensor?  Are these a new run and have the same spec as the NOS?

Is there any new mod for a gray chassis that improves the sound?

Thanks.

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Re: Rip Van Woof needs catching up . . .
Reply #1 - 08/31/09 at 21:57:19

Woof,

I would get a set of 6n15n from Steve......

A mod for the Select would be the CCE mod, which in your amp will only work with the SV83/6n15n tubes, it will have no effect if you use the EL84 tubes.

ZYGI

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 09/02/09 at 17:52:34

I'm not sure anything you do mod or rolling tube wise will make the amp drive 86 db speakers to levels with any "oomph."

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
veryoldcat
Seasoned Member

dam*ed if you do,
and dam*ed if you
don't

Reply #3 - 09/03/09 at 06:20:58

You could still use EL84's with no downside if you liked. It's just that SV83's would freakin beat the pants off the EL84's, if the CCE mod was in place.

The Select sounds FAR more powerful with the CCE mod, but the laws of physics would still likely come into play with 86db efficient speakers (agreeing with Lon).

By all means try the 6n15n's (military SV83's). Very little investment and much to gain over the lightly built Svetlana branded equivalent.

Karl

SE84CS (vcapped), CSP, zbox, Dec685, ZP 1.0, Sota tt/Well-Tempered Arm/V15XMR, Parker 98's, Parker Audio *Power Chords*, cat 6 wires, OSX; a garage sale of other stuff...
  IP Logged
woof
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 09/13/09 at 04:15:41

I'm  not sure I understand about the New Sensor SV83's.  I have no intention of trying to drive 86db speakers with a Zen.

What is the CCE mod?  Not sure what that is.

IP Logged
woof
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 09/13/09 at 04:56:31

Christmas Comes Early !!  Duh.

It's too bad the website doesn't have a search function...only the forum does.

When I get a different set of speakers I will probably shoot my gray chassis CS on up.  

Question:  Is it okay to  send my amp in without tubes?  It's nearly impossible to get the 5U4 in the foam.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print