Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/02/24 at 00:27:42 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Alternatives to white top plate on new chassis? (Read 7313 times)
Cheerwino
Ex Member

Alternatives to white top plate on new chassis?
08/25/09 at 00:00:15

Hi all,

This is a question mainly for Steve but I though I would put it here in case it is of interest to others.

Basically, I'm not keen on the white top plate on the new chassis, particularly for something like the CSP2 that is more Spartan on top. It seems okay on the Mini Torii, which is mostly covered in tubes and transformers.

I wondered if there is an upgrade option for a different color or if anyone has painted theirs (if that is even possible). Or, if it could be a polished aluminum finish?

Thanks,

Guy

IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Re: Alternatives to white top plate on new chassis?
Reply #1 - 08/25/09 at 00:42:02

Just a thought but could the options you mentioned be a additional cost issue that Steve would like to avoid?  

I have a white top CSP2 and find it quite pleasing to "my" eyes.

dennis

IP Logged
Cheerwino
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 08/25/09 at 01:23:14

Sure, absolutely. I would not expect or want Steve to sell me a product at a loss or for less than he can profitably maintain his business. I want him to be here to sell me something later, too!

I am not asking for a favor at no charge. I am asking if there is an option for me (or others) to pay more for a color I prefer. That may come at a cost I am unwilling to pay (that's up to me). It may be an option that is more trouble than it is worth for Steve to offer (that's up to him). We will each have to gauge the value to us. As Austin Powers put it, "Yeah Capitalism!"

Glad you like yours! I'm actually thinking that the black wood trim might look better to me with the white top, which I understand is another option.

Cheers,

Guy

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #3 - 08/25/09 at 01:51:35

Guy,

Not speaking for Steve here, but he is pretty easy to work with. He did do a orange MLB headphone amp once, it turned out really cool.  I liked it. It would be a lot easier for him to do it before its built than for someone to try to finish it after he built it, that's for sure.

Heck, he can send me the plate to me, I'll shoot it for you.

ZYGI

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
Cheerwino
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 08/25/09 at 02:12:13

Cool ZYGI, I think I saw photos of that somewhere. Probably where I subliminally got the idea.

I figured it could be done. But, I didn't know if there were issues regarding heat or simply problems painting aluminum, which I've heard can be problematic.

IP Logged
mike_gagne
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 08/25/09 at 07:15:04

as far as painting aluminum goes, once you have your prime coat on the aluminum has no idea what is happening and will accept any color you want to shoot. My understanding of the rationale behind the color change was to bring the entire line into the same look. That being said, like the custom motorcycle industry, someone could pick up the ball and begin customizing those plates for the tube amplifier after market. I would like to add, however, dont quit your day job.
I personally am receiving a Torii Mark II in the next few days and my customization will be to make a wood base out of some significantly beautiful hardwood fashioned to enhance the amps esthetic as well as play into the Torii moniker which means "Sun gate".   aloha for now, mike

IP Logged
Jason

Reply #6 - 08/25/09 at 15:17:31

I'm not too keen on the the white plate's either.  However, owning a black amp does tend to show the dust outright.  I would imagine the white would look better longer between dustings.
Dusting is still a small price to pay for sound this good, tho.   Grin

Jason

IP Logged
Cheerwino
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 08/25/09 at 17:40:16

Whoa! Jason, you're getting too technical on me. What's the 'dusting' thing?  ;)

IP Logged
Jason

Reply #8 - 08/29/09 at 16:01:22

Dusting is something that seems to be important to the women in our lives.
I don't understand it either but somehow it makes things sound better, maybe because of less 'noise' in the background.  
I always thought it was just nagging voices in my head, but they go away when the house is clean.
Roll Eyes

IP Logged
mike_gagne
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 08/29/09 at 23:17:16

......my car runs better when its clean too. Who'd a thunk?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print