Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/02/24 at 13:51:48 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Differences between the SE84C+ and the SE84ZS (Read 2812 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Differences between the SE84C+ and the SE84ZS
08/04/09 at 16:32:08

Quote:
Dear Sir,

I recently received some suggestions to focus on your SET amps. I have now read your website about these two amps, but couldn’t find exact information about the differences between the C+ and ZS. Could you provide me this information?

I would be interested as well in your opinion about the results of the upgrade (in sound).

I am as well wondering if there are two switches (one for each channel) or one for selecting the input? I know that the other input is bypassing the volume pot. Can this switch(es) be used while the power is on.

I as well would appreciate a good picture straight from up to show all switches etc. on the top plate (both amps).

Lastly I would like to know how long would it take from order to shipment and what payment methods do you accept?

Best Regards,

-Aulis

The original Zen Triode amplifier, model SE84C+ is the amp that started Decware.  The SE84ZS is the current "select" version of it.   Other than the chassis, the only internal differences in the circuit are the coupling caps and a few resistors.  That makes the ZS a tweaked out version of the C+.  Both have identical specs, and power.  The ZS is a tiny bit more transparent and focused.  It's a bit faster and a touch less forgiving than the C+.

The C+ has two pair of inputs via a single silver selector switch, both pair go through the volume control.

The ZS has one pair of inputs that go through the volume control OR one pair of inputs that bypass the volume control ( the front jacks).  You can only use one or the other.

As for switches, the C+ is in a steel chassis with the power switch, input jacks, and IEC on the rear, the volume on the front and the remaining bias and input switch and speaker posts are on the top.  The ZS is an aluminum plate in a wood chassis, where all jacks and switches are on the top.

We will be updating the site this fall with better pictures.  

The usual turn around time from order to shipping is 4 weeks, however I have sometimes have an extra on the bench nearly ready to go in which case it could ship in just a few days.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: Differences between the SE84C+ and the SE84ZS
Reply #1 - 08/05/09 at 01:25:03

Quote:
One more question rises to my mind. How well does these SE84’s work with PHY-HP H 21 LB 15 SAG –elements? The resistance of these elements is almost 16 Ohms. What I have read about these amplifiers mentions only resistance up to 8 Ohms.

Does anyone have any good experiences of this pair?

Regards,

-Aulis

All the SE84's are available with the "EX" transformers that re-target the power from 2 ~ 8 ohms to 8 ~ 16 ohms at no extra cost and the 30 day trial is not effected.

As for the PHY driver, any of the SE84's configured with the EX transformers would be an ideal pairing.  Good weight, nice midrange tone.

Thanks,

- Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print