Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 02:02:59 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New Tori owner has questions. (Read 442 times)
Parker
Verified Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

New Tori owner has questions.
08/01/09 at 05:21:04

Hello all,

Just got my first of 3 tori's Steve is putting together for me. Had a couple of questions that I thought you guys might know.

1. Is it normal to hear music through the tubes themselves (or through something in the Tori) when the volume is down. I thought I was just hearing it through the speakers but it's actually coming out of the Tori.

2. The left channel seems to clip in the treble range before the right. I checked the ZCD that I'm running into it and both the pots are at the same level.

3. What settings do you use when you're running a CSP2. I tried hooking up without the CSP2 and it sounded better. With it in place it seemed to clip much earlier in the bass range.

4. I obviously figured out where the power switches are but the other switches don't seem to do anything. In the manual they say they are for impedance selection, but in my system it doesn't sound different or anything, it just works in one position and goes completely mute in another.

5. I thought there were two sets of inputs? Only one works...is the other an output?

Many thanks to everyone over at Decware!

Oh, and if you're reading this you already know how it sounds Wink

Current bookshelfs (even with Tori) can't touch the Linkwitz Lab Orion  ++

Any help is appreciated.  ::)

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: New Tori owner has questions.
Reply #1 - 08/01/09 at 11:40:16

I'll answer a few that I can but I would call Steve and talk to him.

I don't see how it's possible to hear music coming from the Torii. Just doesn't seem possible to me.

I don't use the CSP2; the CSP2 was in my past system and that system had a lot of hum and I put it away and I haven't looked back. I don't personally feel the Torii needs a preamp, though if I used it I could add one more input and listen to the TV through the system without having to pull out cables and swap, but I haven't yet been tempted. I would continue to play with the output pots of the CSP2, starting on the very low side and see if you can find a "sweet zone."

The speaker impedance switches in the back corner should make an audible difference unless yours is set up differently for your use.  My guess is that perhaps the impedance load on your speaker is very close to the mid point between the two settings and each setting sounds very similar as a result (?)

If one channel is louder than the other. . . you could have a mismatch in input tubes or power tubes.  You may want to check that you have the power tubes located as marked by Steve. . . .

As inputs go, there should be two RCA inputs on the left back for two left outputs from components, and two RCA inputs on the right side for right outputs from components. The switch in the front has three positions:  the front is one input, the back is one input and the middle is. . . nothing.

Again, I think it's best to call Steve for direct answers.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Parker
Verified Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 08/02/09 at 22:48:34

Hello Lon,

Thanks for the response.

Just a few notes.

Okay, thanks for the clarification on the inputs, just went to the middle and thought I had made a switch, thus why no sound.

Each side sounds just as good as the other now. Probably had one of the pots on the CSP2 different than another.

Haven't tried the CSP2 again but I'll try it soon and see. Right now just the ZCD to Tori is pretty freaking sweet!!!

Still don't get the other toggle switch on the back. It doesn't change how anything sounds its acting like a mute switch. Works perfect in the back position and just goes completely off when in the forward (toward the volume knob) position.

Perhaps something else was happening when I thought I heard music coming out of the amp itself. Not hearing it now.

Thanks again Lon!

Parker

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 08/03/09 at 00:16:40

You're welcome!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print