Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 20:11:19 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tuning Board Experimentation (Read 7922 times)
Wakanda
Ex Member

Tuning Board Experimentation
07/30/09 at 13:00:18

I've assembled the PRO12M with the Goldwood 12", the Seleniums, and the Dayton crossovers recommended.  Am now experimenting with the tuning board for the correct port size.

"With the removable tuning board(s) you are able to cut a minimum 18 square inch slot of different widths to accommodate different tuning frequencies."

Any suggestions for port size and shape (different widths?) with these components?

These speakers are powerful!  I look forward to completing them.

I assume that the port is best when cut out of the center of the tuning board.

IP Logged
asiquis

Re: Tuning Board Experimentation
Reply #1 - 08/01/09 at 07:03:48

Excellent question. I am about to build these shortly and have had to make some changes in the drivers due to the high cost of shipping the recommended drivers to Canada. A local company (Q Components in Waterloo ON) has sugested the Eminence 12LFA for the woofer.
The tech there said to run it with out the sounding board.

Are you looking for more bass-hence the tuning board with the suggested woofer?

Ray

IP Logged
Wakanda
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 08/01/09 at 11:36:00

The bass is wimpy until the tuning board is inserted about 2/3 of the way... then it begins to tighten up.  I can't imagine not using the board with any driver.

My current tuning with the recommended components is a hole about 20-22 square inches.  That seems close to the f3 sweet spot.

I am hoping some prior builders will share their wisdom about this great design!

What port size did you choose?

IP Logged
asiquis

Reply #3 - 08/03/09 at 01:37:18

As I mentioned I have not assembled mine yet.  
Steve DID  mention that most pro woofers would work well in the box as is. But this leads to some questions for my limited knowledge:
1) Are ultraflex cabinets tuned to a certain frequency like one might have in a ported design AND at the same time a "forgiving" enough design so that one could use drivers with very different T/S parameters and still get decent performance just a different sound?
2) Does the tuning board simply allow one to tune the cabinet to the woofer's Fs?

You are using the Goldwood woofer right? Fs 68
You got deeper bass with the sounding board?
I was thinking of the Eminence Delta pro 12 with Fs 51.  

By using the tuning board, I would assume that one would lose that
+ 6db boost at 80 Hz which would certainly change the sound and punch of the original design?

IP Logged
Wakanda
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 08/03/09 at 13:07:53

I think all boxes have a certain frequency but the tuning board lets one tweak the PRO-12 to the woofer's Fs.

I am using the Goldwood woofer and got better bass with the tuning board in.  I may listen with a different amp before I cut a hole and glue it in permanently.

Any PRO-12 builders out there with tuning board suggestions?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print