Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 15:22:00 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Finally got my speakers dm944 (Read 9321 times)
Mattb
Ex Member

Finally got my speakers dm944
06/29/09 at 06:57:58

Got the speakers this past week. Was suprised in how small they where. Did not come with any paper work which is kind of nice to have. Nothing on how to break them in which suprised me again. Hooked them to a vtl st85 tube amp and carver preamp and at first thought the sound was ok on the tv but nothing spectacular. Cds sounded remarkably well but lacked some bass and didnt get as loud as I had hoped. Played them  alot to get them broken in. There a very nice speaker for most music by themselves but I have a audiocontrol crossover and a db10 I made for my car. I hooked everything up today and could not believe the sound Iam getting now.  The TV sounds very very good. I was watching foo fighters live at wembley and sounded very very nice. Real loud lots of headroom and a very airy sound to these speakers. Cds as you could imagine sound even better. Iam very pleased with these speakers and Steves subwoofer design. I going to build a db12 next to use in the house. Feel free to ask any questions and I will try and answer them......Matthew

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Re: Finally got my speakers dm944
Reply #1 - 06/30/09 at 02:03:38

Matthew,

I'm glad you found a synergistic setup for the DM944's .

As far as break in goes, your doing it...just play them, they get better over time.

Enjoy,
BobZ

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
Mattb
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/30/09 at 19:17:14

I have to say that the setup Iam using is far from where it should be.  Iam using a carver pre to a audiocontrol phased coupled activator. Fancy name for crossover to the VTL st85 tube amp playing the dm944. Then I have 1 channel of a phase linear 400 playing the db10. Iam using standard rcas no fancy speaker wires or nothing. Voices or singing come out of nowhere. Guitars all have there own unique sound and sound so realistic. Instuments come at you from there location never sounding like there coming from the speakers. Even the db10 totally disappears. A gentelman pmd me about using these for surround systems but I could not pm him back till I have 5 posts. I was watching Saving Private Ryan the other day and the sound was awesome. The sound of war off in the distance was very realistic and you could hear Tom Hanks breathing in. You could hear every detail in the movie so I think these would work very good for surround sound. The only thing you have to watch with these speakers is they dont like or need much power. Iam using 85 watts a channel and its plenty and only 201 for the sub and have had people leave the room because its too loud.  :P..............Matthew

IP Logged
Hotsauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 07/04/09 at 03:05:02

I'm using 3 watts per channel and its plenty.

Play with the distance between the rear wall and back of the speaker, because of the rear port it has an effect on bass.

John C.

IP Logged
Mattb
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 08/07/09 at 05:19:35

Well I have been playing these for awhile now. When I first got them I was in a hurry to hear them so I just set these on top of an older pair of bookshelf speakers. Really sounded good. Damn good bass with the db10. Well I thought I should get or build some stands for these. After seeing how expensive they can be I found a site that shows how to build your own. Well when they where done I could not believe how bad these speakers sounded on these so called great stands. Lost all the bass and did not match well with the db10. Midrange sounded awfull and they just didnt play as loud. This weekend I was in Seattle at a  used stereo shop and found a solid look like home made stands painted black for 40 bucks. What a difference stands make for these speakers. They seem to like being coupled to the floor. I hope this might help people that already have or might buy these speakers.......Matthew

IP Logged
musgofasa
Seasoned Member

Where is that
monkey? I want to
shoot something!

Reply #5 - 08/29/09 at 03:05:44

Good deal Matthew,

To whoever was asking about using these for surrounds:

They make very good speakers for HT. I have used the drivers in a tower as well as the bookshelf. If you are looking for huge amounts of volume and bass, go tower, but you keep the same ambiance and tonal quality with the smaller cabinet and sacrifice some low end. I am currently using my towers paired with a very large, floor coupled sub in my HT and it is unreal for music and movies are awesome. I am rebuilding my front wall and going bookshelf to conserve some floor space. I figure I will lose a little of my musical sound, but I am sacrificing a room to go all out listening room later. I think it will work very well, but I am going to let Ziggy build the speakers for that room and hopefully get my hands on some decware power. SS amps and decware speakers are not matched lol. I still LOVE the sound of those drivers though.

Take care,
Robert

The graveyard is full of important men
musgofasa   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print