Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/29/24 at 12:38:42 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
These are a few of my favorite things. . . . (Read 29924 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

These are a few of my favorite things. . . .
06/04/09 at 16:23:04

I thought it might be fun to add a thread to show off some of our favorite things that aren't "stereo" related.

Notice I said "things." If you want to show off your pet or girlfriend, well we could start another thread for that! Smiley

Anyway, I chose to start off showcasing my new Fender '59 Bassman Relssue "Lacquered Tweed" amplifier which I use for both my basses and my guitars.

I was searching for just the right amp, the one that would make my '72 Telecaster Thinline Reissue guitar sing.  Ths is my favorte guitar as a "player" but sort of a one trick pony sonically, it's always bright bright bright. Well. . . this amp tames it and suits all my other guitars and basses.  I always thought I'd want one, and I found a great deal from a studio that was selling one only used in studio, with a road case and a TDH "Hot Plate" which connects between the amp and the speakers and allows you to get "cranked" sound at lower volumes.

I love love love this amp. It's just got tone tone tone tone tone.  And it's so basic and yet so flexible.  I also bought a Scheyer Audio "Spring-Verb" reverb head which is a wonderful unit. A great combo!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: These are a few of my favorite things. . . .
Reply #1 - 06/04/09 at 16:25:53

Here is the amp with my fretless Les Paul copy:

user16006_pic202_1244066509.jpg

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 06/04/09 at 16:27:30

And without the guitar:

user16006_pic204_1244067465.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 06/04/09 at 17:06:43

Show us some of YOUR favorite things!

IP Logged
Stone Deaf
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 06/04/09 at 22:59:12

I got toys too Smiley

I built the little red amp it's all tubes using 6V6, 12ax7 & GZ37 kind of like a Fender blackface Champ but has Kendrick transformer and 10" Kendrick speaker. Output is around 7 watts of killer tone.

The Telecaster is a Fender custom shop creation.

Spector Legend Bass  :)

Don't you dare laugh at those lamps they were a gift. Wink

IP Logged
Stone Deaf
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/04/09 at 23:03:23

I also love my John Deer lawn tractor and my patio / back yard with Big Green Egg BBQ grill and wet bar where I entertain all summer long. I'll have to dig up the camera and take some more pics.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 06/04/09 at 23:38:01

Cool Richard!

IP Logged
swimfanbass
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 06/06/09 at 04:25:45

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 06/06/09 at 06:55:51

Let's see if this works

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 06/06/09 at 07:01:09

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #10 - 06/12/09 at 14:04:24

Well here are a few more of my favorite things. . . .

My Wishbass, a handmade fretless bass made by luthier Steve Wishnevsky. (I got this ridiculously cheap, 250 off ebay.)  It has really come to life with my '59 Bassman Reissue amp, it sounds incredible, with real presence and punch and really pretty.

user16006_pic201_1244066509.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #11 - 06/12/09 at 14:05:23

My living room last week. . . .

user16006_pic194_1244066188.jpg

IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #12 - 06/12/09 at 15:39:20

Nice pics, Lon. Never having heard the Radials,  I'm curious as to how important placement is with them?
Yours seem quite close together. Assuming that works best for you in your room.
(your music collection is also very impressive too!)
Don

Decware, Rega, Heybrook/Linn/Ortofon
Goertz/Wireworld/cat-5/MarkAudio Alpair 10.2 drivers
(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
NHT SB3’s
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13 - 06/12/09 at 16:02:19

What you see in that picture is about. . . maybe. . . 20 percent or less of my collection?  :) (Also there's a layer of cds or dvds behind every layer you see.)

Well, Radials respond to careful placement.  That is the the best way for me tp lace them in this room after a lot of experimentation.  They seem to need to be out into the room, away from walls, and with the Decware amps, which have such precise channel separation, moving the two stereo channels closer together brings great depth to the soundstage and a powerful center image, making it seem less like two distinct channels and instead a stereo presentation.

The Radials are amazing speakers.  Can't wait to hear the Retail versions that will be on the way to me soon.

IP Logged
Homey
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 06/12/09 at 18:41:01

Lon,   Shame on You,   Are You not aware that by laying Speaker

Cables directly on to carpet floors will degrade the sound?

Poor Pierre could have heart faiure if He seen a photo of  His Maplehade rack,
Maple blocks, Triplepoints, etc.  & then witness those cables
haphazardly laying on that carpet with it's sonic destroying
poly fibers Grin  

congratualations on your flagship Amplifier.  I was able to
listen to one of the Decware Torii mkII amps last year out at Ed's
& thought It had a killer presence to it.  I remember It really
sounded good after It got cooking for a couple of hours.
& I remember the Bass was superb on Ed's Horns.

What finish did You get on the Chassis? Walnut?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15 - 06/12/09 at 19:21:03

Homey,

Yeah, Pierre would be mad!  And I used to suspend my cables following his advice, and I think it DID make a difference with the cryo'd Cat 5 and 6 cables I used to use.   But I didn't notice any difference with the heavily jacketed PS Audio XStream Statement cables I have, and I don't notice a difference with these excellent Zen Styx.  Steve himself, somewhere on this forum or its neighboring forum, mentioned he didn't hear or think there was any difference with these cables sitting on carpet or floor.

I love these cables!  They really came to life with the Torii Mark II!

The base to my amp is a custom one made by Bob (Ziggy) as this was HIS amp.  It's Tiger Maple with Wenge legs. The feet are spaced too wide to anchor the amp on my maple platform; I have it on Herbie Audio Lab Isocups.  The finish is beautiful, like a very dark cherry, perhaps walnut.

This is how the amp looked when Bob sold it; it has been gone over and updated by Steve to have the current production specs, including the new Christmas Come Early mod.

Picture017.jpg

IP Logged
Stone Deaf
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 06/12/09 at 22:29:56

Lon I have my ERR radials much closer to the back wall than that, maybe 2 1/2 feet out into the room and about 7-8 feet apart. I have scooted them all around and this sounds good to me. The back wall sounds like a huge speaker or soundstage and there is quite a bit of depth. I sit about 3-4 feet away and close to the middle but it's not that critical as with normal speakers.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17 - 06/13/09 at 12:44:59

Well, each room is different. . . my room is very long, as it'incorporates a dining room behind the sitting position the picture was taken from.

If I bring the speakers closer to the rear wall I hard edged treble and LESS depth.  I get more depth moving them out into the room.

Admittedly I have RL2s and you have ERRs and I guess i might find out in a few months when my ERRs arrive.  They're differnt designs in significant ways.

IP Logged
Stone Deaf
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 06/13/09 at 16:26:46

I am set up on the long wall but not centered on that long wall. I was able to push the ERRs back a couple feet more than the JM Reynauds I was using. Now when neighbors visit I don't get as many "Why you got your speakers in the middle of the floor" comments. Smiley I do get comments like "That looks like Frankenstine's laboratory" or "Is that a science project?" My favorite is "That's some of that old time stereo gear". But I get no such comments about the speakers which everyone loves till they look under the grills then they don't understand how they work. But when they listen they are really amazed and all have said that is the best they have ever heard.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #19 - 06/14/09 at 14:25:45

When I have visitors over they're not sure where the sound is coming from.

I like that.

I love the Radial design.  And the Torii Mark II is bringing out the best of my RL2s.

IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #20 - 06/14/09 at 18:12:50

Not to hi-jack the thread-- I've had many people visit to listen to music, very few seem to have the capacity to really pay attention. (maybe it's my gear, maybe the music, maybe it's my visitors!!)
For me, if the music grabs me, it'll do it on a boom-box, cassette tapes, whatever.
(Back to regular programming Smiley)
Don

Decware, Rega, Heybrook/Linn/Ortofon
Goertz/Wireworld/cat-5/MarkAudio Alpair 10.2 drivers
(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
NHT SB3’s
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21 - 06/14/09 at 19:17:05

Don, no worries about hijaciking, my whole point with this thread was to get some discussion going.

Yeah.  I have one friend who I have passively MADE pay attention to details of the musical presentation that we discuss here. He's a musician and we share a lot of musical interests.  So we get together and listen to a lot of music and he's heard things in my system that he didn't hear in his. . . and it's made him improve his system somewhat.  

Both us like you can get into music on a boombox or from someone's car radio on the other side of the parking lot or from a clock radio . . . but I always want to then experience it on the system. .. I just love how the system protrays the fantasy with a more realistic finish.

A lot of persons visiting me expect to hear music playing and are taken aback by the sound. . . but they don't have a sustaining interest in either music or stereo systems to get interested in their own audio journey.  And a few. . . don't have the resources and won't let themselves "go there." Some have external drives full of MP3s that they listen to on little desktop speakers. Which is cool, but now how I prefer to listen. But it's good that they're so into music that the grab all these MP3s.  Not many I know are that into the "software". . . I definitely am into both software and hardware.

IP Logged
Stone Deaf
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 06/15/09 at 20:48:27

You guys hit on something. I often hear a song on the radio, in the car, on TV or on someone else's audio system which may be a glorified boom box. It makes me wonder how it would sound on my system. The reverse is having someone listen to a song on my system and exclaim it didn't sound that good on my system or in the car. I think we all somehow reach our own level of perfection and different people have different proprieties.

IP Logged
Hasafraker
Verified Member

Reply #23 - 07/13/09 at 21:31:22

This is one of my favorite things, next to my new SE84DIY, this is the amp I listen to at work, it's also my first fully hand built by me amp. It's a mono SET amp using a single 13EM7 for about 1.25 watts. It sounds great and helps keep me sane Wink  and since I'm thinking about it, my wife got me both of the Melody Gardot albums... I highly recommend folks that haven't heard her yet give her a listen if they like female jazz vocals Smiley

favoritething.jpg

pwells~

SE84DIY w/cce mod, ZSP1, VSPS DIY phono stage w/separate psu, Sansui SR-525 Turntable, Nagaoka MP-100 mm cart, Tekton Design 8.1's 97db@1w, all cables and interconnects DIY. Now we're cookin Wink
WWW hasafraker hasafraker   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24 - 07/13/09 at 22:53:09

Wow, that's cool!  Thanks for sharing!

IP Logged
Stone Deaf
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 07/14/09 at 04:00:54

Lon your Peachtree is on the cover of Stereophile Mag.

Had a friend over today with his 15 year old grandson and I was listening to my system. The grandson said it looked cool and asked how many watts it had. I told him 6 and he didn't believe me till I showed him the owners manual. He was guessing about 300 watts. LOL

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #26 - 07/14/09 at 11:23:10

Well, that's neat about the Peachtree.

Yes, no one can believe how unpowerful these Decware amps are.  :)

IP Logged
76doublebass
Ex Member

Reply #27 - 07/20/09 at 21:58:14

Well u asked for things. So I assume other then audio. So I'll show u  a couple or more Cheesy
Don c.
How about a photo of me with my double bass trombone just after a symphony concert. This was taken atleast 8 years ago. I still have the same horn,But we now play in a 6 million dollar performing arts center The McIntyre Hall

scan0018.jpg
  IP Logged
76doublebass
Ex Member

Reply #28 - 07/20/09 at 22:05:36

My Ichiro Signature photo when he surpassed the all time hit record in baseball in 2004. DON't asked what I paid for this?
This was not the photo u see alot of (his 262nd hit) of the that year ,But his 258th hit.
Don C. Cheesy

007_19.jpg
  IP Logged
76doublebass
Ex Member

Reply #29 - 07/20/09 at 22:21:18

A COPY OF OUR ORCHESTRA IN THE 6 MILLION DOLLAR HALL. The McIntyre Hall partially funded by Burl Ives Widow. Its an absolute joy to play in this hall.I'm way in the back row far right side with my tbone.
Don C. Cheesy

orchestra.jpg
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #30 - 07/21/09 at 01:52:42

Hey nice tie!

:)

That's great!

IP Logged
Hasafraker
Verified Member

Reply #31 - 07/21/09 at 23:30:09

that's really cool Don Smiley

pwells~

SE84DIY w/cce mod, ZSP1, VSPS DIY phono stage w/separate psu, Sansui SR-525 Turntable, Nagaoka MP-100 mm cart, Tekton Design 8.1's 97db@1w, all cables and interconnects DIY. Now we're cookin Wink
WWW hasafraker hasafraker   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print