05/02/24 at 01:19:24 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Pre amp or monoblocks (Read 4975 times)
Sysygy
Ex Member

Pre amp or monoblocks
05/23/09 at 15:18:18

I have a Zen Select that has matched amazingly well with some JM Reynaud Trentes. I think they are 89 db.

They play very comfortably in my bedroom but a little more volume would be nice. I have never had a preamp before, so I don't know if it will allow more headroom or not vs the second amp which I figure definitely will.

Thanks

IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Re: Pre amp or monoblocks
Reply #1 - 05/23/09 at 15:24:58

My Select is a very different beast with a (tubed) pre in the chain. Dynamics particularly are much improved IMHO. The ability to easily switch between sources is an added bonus.
Adding another Select would be the ticket!
Don

Decware, Rega, Heybrook/Linn/Ortofon
Goertz/Wireworld/cat-5/MarkAudio Alpair 10.2 drivers
(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
NHT SB3’s
  IP Logged
Sysygy
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 05/23/09 at 15:33:44

Dynamics. I should have been more clear. I am not really looking to achieve a greater listening level, I would prefer not to clip during a big dynamic swing.

Thanks for the input. Cheesy

IP Logged
sebrof
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/17/09 at 15:52:00

I have a similar question to what Sysygy brings up.
I built a Zkit1 and it sounds great with my 104db Klipschorns, I'm very pleased. Many many things to think about tweaking in the coming months.
I am considering either adding a decware preamp kit and bypassing the Zkit1's pot, or adding a 2nd Zkit1 and bridging (using 1 pot for 2 amps).

What would the effect be of adding a Decware preamp kit to the Zkit1?
What would be the effect of biamping 2 Zkit1s besides more headroom?

Thanks,
Mike

IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #4 - 06/17/09 at 22:53:47

Sysygy

You could try a one channel test with just the Zkit1 you have.  Try bridging the amp (either series or parallel) to drive one speaker, then compare that to the Zkit1 driving a single speaker unbridged.  Maybe that will tell you what you will gain by adding a 2nd amp.

Also, be sure to check pin 6 on your output tubes.  If its open and you are using 6p15p-ev tubes you are not getting full power out of your Zkit1.  See "Zkit1 (SE84DIY) problems" thread under Zkit 1 support forum and "Christmas Comes Early" thread under General Discussion /support forum

Dan

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 06/17/09 at 23:53:02

From my experience, if you just want dynamics added the CSP2 will do that, and add "weight." But if you want lots of headroom and more speaker options, add another Select.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
shuijing
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 06/18/09 at 04:58:05

Good!

IP Logged
Sysygy
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 06/24/09 at 03:25:41

Dank,
        I have a Select, but it is a good idea for an experiment.

Lon,
      simple good advice. I have had the amp for a little while now and it plays loud enough. If I spend more money it will be for the pre.

I have to buy "the Cube" for my Hornshoppe Horns first though.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print