Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/02/24 at 08:44:14 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Friendly Audiophile Advice <Insert pulling my h (Read 5677 times)
braves6117
Ex Member

Friendly Audiophile Advice <Insert pulling my h
05/14/09 at 02:36:08

Edit: I can't believe I already screwed up with the title!! The "h" should be hair! Embarrassed

Hi Folks,

I apologize for the first post status and all, but I was referred here by an individual citing it as a great source of help and advice.  And well, I’m stumped regarding which path to take regarding integrated amps or separates…..

I just need some friendly good advice, nothing that you wouldn’t do yourself; I take your thoughts seriously.  

As a background of sorts, and to build some credibility of seriousness, I spent the last 9 days and over 19 hrs of actual audition time critically and blindly (to cost that is) listening to 15+ different tower pair from entry level to so called holy grails and chose a pair that sounded best to my ears. I can't even tell you how many salesmen I drove insane.  I'll purposely hold my tongue for what I chose  ::)lol

So, my problem lies in my indecision to choose an integrated amp, separate amp and pre, or even, simply a pro amp with AVR as the DAC….

To show you how bad my mind hurts, I’ve at one point said “This is it, I’m going with this…” for each following option  :o:

McIntosh Integrated MA6300
Musical Fidelity A5.5
Cambridge Audio 840A

Denon 2908CI AVR to McIntosh Amp, Rotel Amp, even Emotiva Amp
Denon 2908CI AVR to Pro Amp

So, what I see is a price range from $900 to $k+ at retail Grin….

So, if my focus is on quality reproduction of a variety of music, will my DAC or amplifier have more influence on the signal?  (Disregard power concerns, there will be enough lol)

I know and have heard the folks echoing separate for better quality, but if I’m going to need a DAC anyways for my digital signals, and since integrated units don’t have on board DAC’s, whats the use going integrated? Why not feed the AVR, perform conversion, and go to amp? That, and well, separate everything gets expensive real quick…..

And more importantly, what do you suggest I do….maybe we can spur better thoughts together then, lack for a better word, my crap.

Thanks so much for the read, time, and input.

IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Re: Friendly Audiophile Advice <Insert pulling my h
Reply #1 - 05/14/09 at 02:50:28

If you plan on using a "redbook" CDP, 2 ch, music-only system, you may find that a number of CDP's, including the Decware ZCD sound more that just ok w/o a stand alone DAC.
Combined with a really nice integrated,  you may find a lot of satisfaction
in such a "simple system".
Obviously, much will depend on which speakers you've settled on, (and if indeed you stay with your current choice after setting up the rest of your system)
Let us know how you get on!
Don
Oh, you'll note that Decware makes some very good sounding amps/pre's to add to your above list.

Decware, Rega, Heybrook/Linn/Ortofon
Goertz/Wireworld/cat-5/MarkAudio Alpair 10.2 drivers
(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
NHT SB3’s
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 05/14/09 at 02:53:40

Why don't you look into some of the tube options here? A good tubed CD player such as the Zen with a TABOO or MINI TORI SE would sound awesome. You would not necessarily need a DAC for that.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
braves6117
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/14/09 at 02:54:46

Thanks very much for the response Don.  At the moment, I hadn't settled a CDP....in fact, shoot me now, I was thinking of using my PS3 digi out....       Undecided  

For speakers, I chose B&W CM9

IP Logged
braves6117
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/14/09 at 02:59:27

Oh man, my age is showing....I have no experience with tube gear guys....being 23 and just leaving college explains that  ;)

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 05/14/09 at 03:47:50

I have bought an excellent CD/SACD player, the Sony SCD-XA 5400 ES.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=1055...

I love it i love it I love it. (Wasn't that impressed with the ZCD or Zen Cd player mentioned above).  The Cd sound is excellent, the SACD sound is really something again.

In keeping with your idea of a DAC at the integrated amplifier (a concept that works really well for me in my bedroom system using a Peach Tree Audio Decco) Sony has introduced an intriguing receiver that will take two channel and multi-channel output from this player via HDMI and decode the DSD right there.  Looks like that combination might sound great.  . . depending on the speakers you chose. (I haven't heard the receiver, but if it's as good as the player, it's damned good). The receiver and the player are locked in with Sony's HATS anti-jitter system which is supposed to work well and make an impact on the sound.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=1055...

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print