Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/05/24 at 06:35:26 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
rel subwoofer hums connected to zen integrated (Read 8469 times)
jaco03
Verified Member

rel subwoofer hums connected to zen integrated
03/29/09 at 21:40:55

hi all
just seeking some advice
i bought a rel subwoofer recently. using its neutrik connector, high level connection, with live wires, one each to live speaker terminals and just one earth wire to either black terminal on speker output from the amp, i get a ginormous hum, definteley a 50Hz hum. i cannot get rid of it. and there is hardly any music coming from the sub.
rel describes the ground arrangment as star earthing. so i now use the low level inputs, driving the sub off the csp pre-amp.
just wondreing how i can make the speaker inputs on the sub work. with the positive wires connected, i tried touching the earth wire to one of the screws on the integrated and the hum disappered, not totally but very much less. but there was still no music out of the sub. i also tried plugging and unplugging equipment to trace any ground loop. no luck, even when the sub was plugged into another power point. help please! Undecided

IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Re: rel subwoofer hums connected to zen integrated
Reply #1 - 02/22/10 at 04:01:21

This post is about a year old but I just read it so it is new for me.  I had a REL once connected to an original TORII and it made a hell of alot of noise.  I got rid of the REL.  Maybe I should have kept it.

IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #2 - 02/22/10 at 13:55:27

If you are only running 3 wires to the sub from the audio outputs of the amp, it will not work with amps with isolated (transformer coupled) outputs.  It will work just fine with common ground output amps - which most solid state amps are.  

Simply connect the two black terminals together at the amp with a jumper and see if that makes a difference.  You could also try connecting this now common ground to case ground and/or earth ground to see if that makes a difference with the hum.  I guess I would not make the connection to case/earth unless it reduces the hum.

Dan

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 02/22/10 at 20:42:29

Tell me why, Match, other than for the fun of diagnosing a hum and getting things right.

(I used to charge for this service - LoL!!)

I have a small (twelve inch)  REL sub that I haven't used in about three years. I never had hum problems that were not related to the installation.

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 02/22/10 at 20:45:04

Good point, Dan.

I guess that I too often assume that people in audio already know this stuff.

IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 02/23/10 at 01:25:43

I don't know anything about audio.  That's why I come to forums like this.  Mostly, I plug it where I think it should be plugged and that's it.  When it comes to the technical stuff I don't know that much.

A few years ago I bought a Rel Strata III off Audiogon and I plugged it into a few amps and it sounded okay, but when I plugged it into the TORII it made alot of noise that was obvious when soft moment in music came about.  I don't know a thing about transformers or anything like that so I probably, as I said, sold that Rel when I should have kept it.   As I remember, I bought it because that sub has a lot of good reviews and I wanted one.  No other reason.

I just thought I would throw my 2 cents in and add to the original poster's thoughts.

By the way, I sold the Rel for what I paid for it so it was a wash.

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 02/24/10 at 14:42:18

I get it Match.

I used to make money from guys with such a mental preset. No more, though. I am out of "the business."  I offer all I know for free, these days. It is not a small thing.

My interests mostly lie in live performance, though - bands that wish they could get things right. Not much of that on the forum. I have been more active since the summer. I made a personal vow to help when I can, with no charge to the helpeee - lol.

It is the music that is real. The equipment comes and goes. I can deal with the equipment as it changes and I am helping where I can. It feels good to know that I have made my way to just helping others and I don't need to make money from what I know, anymore.

"Only the music is real"

(an ancient quote from teh 'Dawg. I've been saying this since before I could grow a decent beard. My beard is now gray and I have graying whiskers which are much older than some of the people I am trying to help and bring aboard to my way of thinking.)

BTW, it is good to see you 'round again.

IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 02/25/10 at 05:19:24

Live performance, huh?  That's interesting.  I'm into a little bit of live performance these days.  I play some guitar and now and then I get together with a bunch of other geezers to make some noise.  I've been wanting to get out around town and jump in on some blues jams where ever I can find them.

I've got a couple of guitars and some stomp boxes and I am in search of a good amp.  The thing is, I want to get something that is good for a guy that does this as a hobby as opposed to a guy that does it for a living.  I thought about getting a Mesa Booge Electra Dyne, but that kind of amp is more for the professional type and not a weekend warrior like myself.  It is a real shame to get a high end amp and only tinker with it on weekends or now and then.

Right now I have a cheap Peavy Valveking which actually doesn't sound too bad.  I've always had a thing for Peavy and Marshall, but Marshalls, like the all tube kind such as the Bluesbreaker model, falls into the "more than a hobby side."  So, I think I am going to get me a Peavy Delta Blues with the 15 inch woofer.  I've played one of those I can get a really nice and thick B. B. King kind of sound through it.  

For the sound I like I lean more toward a tone like B. B. King or Larry Carlton or maybe Robben Ford as opposed to something like SRV or Buddy Guy or even Eric Clapton to a lesser degree.  

A friend's wife, she plays the piano and her husband sings a bit and we have a digital drum setup and we can get some good things going.  She's a very good player and he sounds like Dr. John, more or less.  Actually, more less than more, but it is fun.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print