Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 15:25:30 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Do I know enough to build this kit? (Read 4469 times)
Rand Kocher
Ex Member

Do I know enough to build this kit?
03/20/09 at 01:22:41

Dear Forum,
I am definitely an electronics novice! But I’m a perfectionist, pay high attention to detail, and I’m very good with my hands. Anyway, I can’t get the idea out of my head that I’m going to buy and build this kit point-to-point, without the board. Physically I know I could do it and do a decent job of it. My question is would my ignorance of electronics increase my odds of failure enough that I’d be making a mistake doing so? And when I say I’m a novice, I do understand how to read schematics, I understand electrical and component polarity and I know how to solder. I’m an electrician, so I’m right at home with some of it.
Sincerely,
Rand Kocher

IP Logged
mike_gagne
Ex Member

Re: Do I know enough to build this kit?
Reply #1 - 03/20/09 at 07:37:03

< And when I say I’m a novice, I do understand how to read schematics, I understand electrical and component polarity and I know how to solder. I’m an electrician>

It sounds to me like you are ripe for the adventure. The skills you enumerate are the ones that it takes. You cant lose and will learn immensely from the process....... and the amp may even work when you are complete. I say take the plunge and tell the forum about it.   mike

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: Do I know enough to build this kit?
Reply #2 - 04/10/09 at 15:07:18

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the forum!

Building the ZKIT-1 without the circuit board is impractical.  The last guy who tried that took over 2 months before getting it to work right and dozens of phone calls and e-mails.  He ended up taking it to a tech somewhere in his area who finally got it going for him.

You would be better off to get a copy of the SE84C schematic and buying the power and output transformers from us.  The rest of the parts you can easily find on your own.

Another alternative is to buy our SE84C+ amplifier without assembly.  You get the chassis and all parts with a schematic and no instructions. A layout photo can be provided.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print