04/16/24 at 19:09:21 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
$uccess at last (Read 5909 times)
Stone Deaf
Ex Member

$uccess at last
02/10/09 at 01:35:16

I fought a problem with my old turntable till I finally cried uncle. But even this story has a good ending. I was able to pick up a Pro-Ject RM10 minus the isolation platform at a good savings. They mounted a Grado Reference Sonata cartridge for me and shipped to my house. I am not fortunate enough to have a high end dealer or even a stereo shop in my home town, nearest one is a good 3 hour drive. The TT was easy to set up and I am very pleased with it. I used the factory cable to connect to the ZP3 and at long last got sound.

I am not a stereo equipment reviewer by any means. I don't have that list of adjectives at my fingertips they use to explain what I am supposed to be hearing but today I heard vinyl at a different level than I am used to. The old TT was a decent Pro-Ject Prospective with Sumiko Blue Point Special. This Prospect, Grado combination is dead quiet between tracks and in low passages. First up was Linda Ronstadt Heart Like A Wheel, 180g reissue. I have listened to this album hundreds of times but never this clear. Next I listened to Eric Clapton from the box set on 180g vinyl and it blew me away. Not stopping I played Peter Gabriel So, one side of Mobile Fidelity Carmen, Sheffield Labs Dave Grusin and a bit of The Chieftans.

I can't stop smiling now. It was a long two week wait  but well worth it. Currently I am running a Cyro Mazda 5Y3GB, RCA 0A3, cyro Mullard 12ax7 new issue and Brimar 12au7. PS Audio Prelude power cord, Kimber hero and kimber silver streak into the ZP3 and I like it a lot.

I am getting close to my last dream system waiting on new Radials, some cables and a Z box. I think all this will be happening in the next few weeks and it will be a blessed event. To be honest my JMR Twin II / Velodine 4000 combination is pretty freaking good for my ears.

Good work Steve and everyone involved. I am glad I made the plunge. The $3K for a new TT was unexpected but I'm glad I did it.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: $uccess at last
Reply #1 - 02/10/09 at 19:06:11

You made a valiant effort before buying the new table!

I'm glad you're happy witht the ZP3.  It's going to get better and better as it "burns in" and when you get the Radials. . . buckle your seat belt!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Stone Deaf
Ex Member

Re: $uccess at last
Reply #2 - 02/11/09 at 03:55:41

Lon in my younger days I could have fixed that turntable but my hands aren't as steady as they once were. I used to do intricate detail work on small scale models some displayed in museums today. I think I could have done open heart surgery on a flea if I had some instruction. I can still cue up a record though Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print