Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 22:23:30 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
punch 8's in 10" wicked one box. need help. (Read 7411 times)
E350
Ex Member

punch 8's in 10" wicked one box. need help.
02/08/09 at 14:11:00

Hi, i am new here. anyways, i built one of those wicked ones with pieces of large scraps of 3/4" mdf. i built the 36x24 version being 13.5" tall and i threw in a couple of punch 8's (pch-84) 4 ohm. i know the dimensions are for 10" woofers, but i wanted to hear the 8's in there, i tested it and i hooked it up to a early 90's kenwood stereo and it sounded ok it shook my living room floor when i turned it up but i think its too much for the 8's to handle for long term pounding. my question is: is that too big of a box for the 8's? could i fill in the sealed chamber with polyfill to make the difference? does it make a difference which side of the baffle i mount the speakers? or do i need to get a couple of 10's for it. help me. Smiley

IP Logged
musgofasa
Seasoned Member

Where is that
monkey? I want to
shoot something!

Re: punch 8's in 10" wicked one box. need help.
Reply #1 - 02/08/09 at 19:52:04

I imagine the sealed chamber needs to be cut down some. An easy way to figure it is to sim the subs in a program like WinISD and see what they need for a sealed box and build the sealed chamber to that spec or possibly just short of it. I have had to make the chamber a hair smaller for several of the 10" woofers I have put in it.

If you want it to really work it's magic, get a pair of tens to go in there, but I am betting you can get sufficient dazzle out of the drivers you have with a little tweaking. If it were me, I would mount the driver on the inside of the baffle and put a few extra peices of MDF inside to take up a bit of the volume,

Good luck,
Robert

The graveyard is full of important men
musgofasa   IP Logged
nubz69
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 04/21/09 at 20:12:57

I used RF DVC 8" in a WO for years in my 99 dodge neon.  They were fine but I would measure the sealed chamber and make sure it is the correct volume for your drivers.  If it is to big I would fill it in some.

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Reply #3 - 04/23/09 at 15:07:14

A higher excursion 8" subwoofer would prolly work but the cost(same as a good 10") would be the issue. You could tune the enclosure to work with the sub you have. I would move the speaker baffle foward and use another piece of wood to limit the size of the sealed chamber. The port and horn should be fine as is. If you need more info let me know.

HT-EXT

" I TRY TO THINK BUT NUT'EN HAPPENS! " CURLY
  IP Logged
E350
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/26/09 at 02:04:44

hello, well i scrapped the punch 8's idea and through in a couple of hifonics 10" olympians. had to rip out the 8" baffles and build 10" baffles, got the enclosure sizes pretty close to specs. threw it in my trunk, barely fits. it felt like having two 15" subs in my trunk. unbelievable how much bass you get out of two 10's. the box has to weigh close to 120 lbs 36x24. to big and to heavy to haul around, thinking about building a smaller 8" version.  ;D

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print