Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/16/24 at 12:50:34 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
NEW  DECWARE   AMPLIFIER ! ! ! (Read 1676 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

NEW  DECWARE   AMPLIFIER ! ! !
12/31/08 at 04:51:52

Demonstrated during development at the 2008 Decfest, the new amplifier is finally completed and going into production!  As always, before it gets linked to the main tube menu on the site, forum readers get to see it first!

We call it the Mini Torii SE   (SE stands for Single Ended)  Mini Torii because it not only looks like a mini version of our Torii Mk II amplifier but also has many of it's sonic hallmarks.

It has a defeatable (btw does anyone know how to spell defeatable?) treble control that took me months to get right.  It was implemented with a dual purpose in mind.  A) Single Driver applications that lean towards being bright and B) Radio and or internet radio where lower quality is most irritating in the top end.

It also has something special for people who like to bi-amp, like with  an open baffle where more than one driver is used.

I'll be adding more information to the web page as time allows, and be happy to answer questions here (or by e-mail or phone).

Happy New Year!!

Steve Deckert

Oh yea, here's a link to it: https://www.decware.com/newsite/minitoriise.htm

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: NEW  DECWARE   AMPLIFIER ! ! !
Reply #1 - 12/31/08 at 11:16:16

Steve,

A beauty!  The tone control idea is a very good one.  

I predict good sales!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
chrisby
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 01/01/09 at 02:01:47

Most cool - I assume this is the production version of the sleeper shown at last  DecFest?

But sorry, the chicken head knobs gotta go  ;)

not so easy, this giving it up thing ...
  IP Logged
Hotsauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 01/01/09 at 02:45:54

Nothing wrong with chickenhead knobs.  You could always swap them if you are offended.  If you're going for the chickenhead look though, you need the rockers to look the part, and a colored faceted crystal with chrome bezel for power indicator.  And maybe tolex covered base.  :)

John C.

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 01/01/09 at 05:47:34

One word!
Beautiful!
Surprising? not really, more of a realized expectation

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #5 - 01/02/09 at 03:56:47

I have added some options to the amp page based on the comments here.   Thank you.

WWW   IP Logged
chrisby
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 01/05/09 at 18:08:39

very reasonable prices on those options

Congrats, Steve - a cool piece, and that was a cheesy joke about the knobs - they'd be perfect for an upgraded small guitar combo kit.

not so easy, this giving it up thing ...
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #7 - 01/19/09 at 06:16:20

I very much enjoyed this Amp at Decfest.  I just read Steve's Design Notes on it. I am budgeting for ordering in August and picking up at the Fest this year.

Stone of Tone

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 01/21/09 at 16:16:43

I also just read the design notes.  Fascinating! Thanks for sharing Steve!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 02/02/09 at 03:39:47

I AM INTRIGUED BY THE NEW AMP!

I WONDER HOW IT WOULD SOUND WITH THE EX TRANSFORMERS WITH 89DB 8 OHM SPEAKERS

WHICH DECWARE SPEAKER WOULD DO BEST WITH IT?

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #10 - 02/04/09 at 17:30:20

I WONDER HOW IT WOULD SOUND WITH THE EX TRANSFORMERS WITH 89DB 8 OHM SPEAKERS

WHICH DECWARE SPEAKER WOULD DO BEST WITH IT?

It will sound however you make it sound, pending what tubes you roll in it.  The sound will be good.  The Mini Torii SE is not bothered by crossover networks.

If you mean how will it perform with 89dB 8 ohm speakers using the EX transformers, the answer is:  It will perform similar to your Taboo with similar power.  It will have slightly better bass control.  Top end is adjustable.

Just for kicks we hooked it up last night to a pair of Infinity speakers that are rated at 89dB 8 ohms.  They are 3 way speakers with 2 - 10 inch woofers per side, a dome midrange, ribbon tweeter.  The Mini Torii SE did an admirable job of driving them to a usable listening level.

Also, the Mini Torii SE with the standard transformers was put on the same speakers and actually drove them equally well.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #11 - 02/04/09 at 23:00:17

As far as what Decware speaker goes best with it...  Both models have successfully driven all Decware speakers well enough to make that a hard question to answer.

Basically the 4 ohm Decware speakers are best served by the Mini Torii SE and the 8 ohm models by the Mini Torii SEX.

WWW   IP Logged
Dirty_Dawg
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 02/05/09 at 11:56:19

What a beauty!

Thanks for sharing the design notes. Cool, as always, to be able to read of such thoughts.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13 - 03/02/09 at 19:27:22

Steve, one of the most intriguing aspects of the new amp for me is. . . the treble knob.

Is this circuit possibly available for another amp?  Say the SE34I2?

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #14 - 03/02/09 at 23:25:14

The treble knob circuit can be applied to any of our amplifiers and is already on the Torii MK 2.  Remember, it is a treble cut only.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15 - 03/02/09 at 23:49:08

Thanks Steve.

I've ordered an SE34I.2 and would like to have that added as an option.  I'll email DeVon.

As always, I appreciate the attention and the quick response.

IP Logged
michkhol
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 03/03/09 at 22:34:47

This is a question for Steve.

I'm contemplating the idea of having this amplifier and your DM944 speakers as a home studio monitor solution. What do you think, Steve? Basically it is the transients I'm after, if it is similar to the SE84, it would be really nice. What tubes would you recommend for this?

IP Logged
brians7
Verified Member

Reply #17 - 03/04/09 at 23:36:12

steve is it to much to ask! what is the plate and sceen voltage for the new amp!

thanks Brian

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #18 - 03/05/09 at 21:48:43

Well it depends on which tubes and output transformers are in it at the time, but around 323/310 VDC.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #19 - 03/05/09 at 21:50:17

BTW, I re-wrote the Mini Torii SE page so that it communicates instead of intimidates.  Should read better now.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
brians7
Verified Member

Reply #20 - 04/03/09 at 05:33:49

How is the new amps coming.  Thanks Brian

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 04/13/09 at 01:58:25

Can you use a 12AT7, 5751 or 12AX7 as the input tube?

Also, what tube combination would take it up to 6 watts per channel?

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
swimfanbass
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 05/14/09 at 04:48:41

nub alert....what is this thing and what does it do?.

i had a techniques house amp, but it was trash and also broke. i know about tubes and the quality you get with them. i had an Digitech rp7 guitar processor that had tubes in it. i liked van halens rich 3d velvet sound. "if" this is a house amplifier, i bet it would sound good with fostex full range or audio nirvana full range whizzer cones. Smiley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYK7YJPZLeE    8-)  ok i saw the link. looks cool. can this work with a record player or home theature?. i like analog.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23 - 05/14/09 at 12:56:08

This is a home audio amplifier, yes (if that's what you mean by a "house amplifier.")

You could certainly use a turntable with this, but it does not have a built in phono circuit, so you would need to also use a phono preamplifier.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #24 - 05/20/09 at 02:52:35

I ordered mine last week. I will be trying it out with and without the CSP2 preamplifier, using Von Schweikert VR-1 monitors, that is until the MG944 speakers I ordered arrive.

55   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print