Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 18:51:24 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Suggestions for HT sub (Read 3961 times)
Ratchet
Ex Member

Suggestions for HT sub
11/29/08 at 01:18:19

Hi everyone.
I am a new member although I have been lurking around this forum on and off for a few years. I have built a 1500 cu.ft home theater in the basement and now want to upgrade my sub. I built a 6th order bandpass with 2 x 15" no name drivers. I managed to get a -3db of 35hz.
Now, I would like to build a new sub to replace this one. The idea of building a full size WO with 2X10" 0r 2X12" has crossed my mind. I have a question regarding the frequency response graph that appears here:
https://www.decware.com/whorn.htm

Is this in car response with the gain addition that the cabin usually supplies?

Here is what I am looking for:
Bass in the low 20's
Fast and accurate
Capable of THX certification (115db)

I will be using this sub mainly for HT (70% HT/30% music). I already have a stereo power amp of 400w rms per channel to drive it.

Will the WO fill the bill or do you have other suggestions? I have not purchased the drivers yet until I determine what I will be building.

IP Logged
Ratchet
Ex Member

Re: Suggestions for HT sub
Reply #1 - 11/29/08 at 19:37:38

Well, I think I will have to look for another design with only 1 driver. I just purchased an IXL18.2 from Mach5 audio. I will take a look at the HW to see what I can do.

IP Logged
musgofasa
Seasoned Member

Where is that
monkey? I want to
shoot something!

Reply #2 - 11/30/08 at 22:20:03

I don't think the graph was in car. I am pretty sure it was 1m or something on that order.

That sub in a HW will definitely get you some low end. 2 in a HW might give substance to the name lol.

Good luck.

Robert

The graveyard is full of important men
musgofasa   IP Logged
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Reply #3 - 12/19/08 at 17:07:52

I would build both if it was me and I have. If you have the room the WO36 should go up front with the HWK(15 or 18) behind you run out of phase(180). This combo will give the entire range needed for awesome HT. I run this combo for about two years and love every minute of it. Of course room size and room decor will also be a factor for tuning this combo. Trust me you will be happy with the results.

HT-EXT

" I TRY TO THINK BUT NUT'EN HAPPENS! " CURLY
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print