Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Favorite EL34s?
10/13/08 at 21:25:11

You know how it is, we're always looking for that "sound" and ever since my first guitar amp I've been playing around with power tubes to get that just right "flavor". . . .

Today I did a long and leisurely comparison in my Decware SE34 Monoblocks between EL34s from JJ (cryo'd), Mullard (Svetlana, cryo'd), Svetlana Winged Cs, and Valve Art E34Ls (cryo'd).

The winner is the Mullard reproductions followed by the Winged Cs.  The Mullards have surprised me; I remembered Eddie V's preemptive disdain for the tube, but tried a cryo'd pair out just for kicks.  They took a long time to "season" but once they did, they became my favorites. . . detailed and dynamic, with a nice rich, tight bass.  They best the Winged Cs with clarity and openness.

Anyone done any comparisons lately they'd like to share?

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Re: Favorite EL34s?
Reply #1 - 10/14/08 at 20:54:40

Howdy Lon,

You seem to have a nice collection of cryoed tubes .....  

Are you getting any of them from Cryoset ?

I recently ordered a matched pair of cryoed TAD EL84s and a matched pair of the cryoed Russian milspec 6N14N-EB tubes for my Select.

The prices seem reasonable.  They also have the cryoed Mullard EL84s for about the same price.  Based on your findings, I wish I would have ordered a pair of them while I was at it .....

Take care,

Randy

CEC TL5N belt drive CD transport
Cambridge Audio Azur 851N DAC / Streamer
Decware SE84UFO amplifier
Caintuck Audio Betsy Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii Silver-10 Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii 15 Open Bass Baffle
WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 10/14/08 at 22:52:06

Hi Randy,

Yes.  My Mullard EL34s were from Cryoset (via ebay).  All my ohter cryo'd tubes are from www.tubeman.com --- I can certainly recommend that outfit.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 10/16/08 at 15:53:02

Well as you recommended Cryoset, and Bob recommended RCA 12AU7s for the ZCD, I ordered a pair (I like to run the same tube in ZBox and ZCD, seems a good thing) of the cheapest RCA black plate 12AU7s that Cryoset offers. . . .

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print