Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 12:34:02 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New Decware Owner - Speaker Suggestions Please (Read 8504 times)
Nature Boy
Verified Member

New Decware Owner - Speaker Suggestions Please
07/29/08 at 20:32:39

Hello out their in Decware forum land.  I have been a regular poster over at Audio Circle for some time and been lurking here for a bit. I have been intrigued by the loyal Decware following and have recently changed up my two channel system to try the SET thing on for size.  

I have purchased a "previously owned" Decware SE84CS EX mod, serial number 166 on Agon.  I will be pairing this with a Eastern Electric Minimax preamp, at least initially.  Sources include a Nottingham Interspace turntable and APL modified Pioneer 563A.

I am looking for recommendations on speakers to marry with the Decware SE84CS EX mod and welcome your recommendations.  I am considering Ed Schilling's Hornshoppe horns, but would welcome any other suggestions from the Decware faithful.

SET amp here I come.

Regards,

Roger
aka Nature Boy

IP Logged
Eli Duttman
Ex Member

Re: New Decware Owner - Speaker Suggestions Please
Reply #1 - 07/29/08 at 21:58:48

Roger,

Ed's horns are NICE.  However, you might look for something more efficient.  As always, the problem is cost.

If your listening space is on the small side, Ed's horns could be fine

IP Logged
opnly_bafld
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/29/08 at 22:01:09

Hi NB,

I felt my Decware amp matched well with Omega hemps.

Lin

IP Logged
Nature Boy
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 07/29/08 at 23:06:01

I have a well treated listening room that is about 13.5' wide x 15.5' long x 7' high.  I listen principally at low to moderate levels, mostly jazz, vocals, folk, & some rock.  

Roger

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #4 - 07/29/08 at 23:55:35

The tendency for many smaller high efficiency speakers is to sound lean.  If  you're going for a purist approach you ideally want a speaker that has a solid frequency balance and good weight so that it sounds fine by itself AND is efficient.  That way a subwoofer remains optional vs. required and that's important.  All of our Decware speakers were designed with this in mind, and any of them are excellent with our SET amps.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Nature Boy
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 07/30/08 at 00:09:15

Steve,

Any particular Decware offerings that would best pair with the Decware SE84CS EX mod, I understand the EX mod was developed for speakers with an 8 Ohm load.  Is this correct?

Roger

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #6 - 07/30/08 at 21:33:08

Roger,

The EX mod was developed for 8 to 16 ohm speakers.  My favorite speaker on an EX modded amp is the HDT's.  

I've gotten a few pair of  HDT's  into a hi-end circle in New York that are causing quite a stir...  Replacing VR5-HSE's (a 20,000.00 speaker) and some of the new quad electrostats.  The friends of these new HDT owners can't wrap their head around the possibly that a $1700 pair of speakers could sound better than what they've grown used to as being the best, so the owners have had to resort to blind listening tests with them to prove their point.

It's a lot of fun.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Nature Boy
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 08/09/08 at 15:02:40

Steve, et. al.,

My Decware amp arrived yesterday.  I will be hooking it up today to my 90db 8 ohm bookshelf speakers for a listen.  I decided to purchase a pair of Horn Shoppe horns from Ed to pair with the amplifier.  These should be arriving in a week or two.

Thanks for your many suggestions.

Roger
Nature Boy

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print