Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 20:19:36 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Double db10...intial thoughts and reactions (Read 5853 times)
backfixer
Verified Member

Double db10...intial thoughts and reactions
07/19/08 at 23:50:38

As some of you may know, As of a year ago, I had a decision to make Undecided.  Should I man up and clear out my trunk of a sweeet db12 with 2 12” cerwin vegas iscobarically loaded for my wife and kids? Well, the only thing I could think of to offset this initially conundrum was to justify it with building a modified WO for the HT set up.

So off to work on my first WO, 60…you are probably wondering whatever happened with that…well, take a look at the pic below  :'(.

So my wife does day care right…so it would seem that some “precious” child decided this odd but intriguing looking piece of craftsmanship looks like a damn chair…so THAT’S WHAT I’LL DO, I’M JUST GONNA SIT MY BIG FAT BUTT on this thing and just see where it takes me  :P.

Okay, know that’s off my chest. I knew that I had make a rookie mistake. Meaning, if it aint broke, don’t fix it! So I should have never torn down my db12  :'(, HOWEVER! Had I not done that, it would never had led to ultimately deciding to take a new adventure.

Thus was born, the double db10. I will post a few pics and share some thoughts and mistakes I made (of which will be VERY APPARENT to the forum readers) and regrets I wish I could change. Enjoy.

busted_WO.JPG
  IP Logged
backfixer
Verified Member

Re: Double db10...intial thoughts and reactions
Reply #1 - 07/19/08 at 23:52:54

by the way, the WO is toast, all the wood glue basically stripped the wood when it broke, so this picture doesnt make the damage look too bad, but believe me...shes gone Cry

anyway, here is the insert...I KNOW I KNOW, I mounted it wrong...man, talk about rookie mistakes...relax, I never built one of these before though...

db10_3_001.JPG
  IP Logged
backfixer
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 07/19/08 at 23:53:57

tower view with the Rockford RF series amp, i left the shell off cuz its just too big and bulky. you'll see why later

db10_1_001.JPG
  IP Logged
backfixer
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 07/19/08 at 23:55:55

you're starting to feel me now arent you? okay, so I almost forgot to sand down the 12x12 divider b/t the 2 dbs, but dont worry, I did it, and it looks clean! Cheesy

db10_4.JPG
  IP Logged
backfixer
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 07/20/08 at 00:07:09

finsihed product in the car...notice the caulking on the OUTTER face portion...yet another regret! TOO impatient and stupid...working in the Arizona desert heat REALLY messes with your head! so I had to apply some forgotten spots...anyway, initial thoughts...

lets see, first song Undecided...nothing to write home about (nor this forum)

oh wait, let me tweak the gain Wink, oh... I forgot too, that little bass booster knob the RF series amps come with, I didnt plug that in  :D...

OOOKAY  :o, know Im starting to get shocked at how SIMILAR these 2 10s feel compared to my db12. definitely more punchy with the kick drum than the db12. but can it go low?

uhh, hell yeah  ;)!  and Im even going to tell you something that will leave me wide open for forum punishment...I didnt even tune it Shocked! nope, just stuke 1/4 inch above the moon port, sealed 'er right in with the wood glue and screws...never looked back!

so i dont even wanna know what it could sound like if I had took the time to tune.

PONDER on this, what if I had left one side of the ddb10 1/4" above the half moon, AND THE OTHER 1/4" BELOW the half moon...best of both worlds? I dunno, give me your thougths...cuz THIS is where Im going with this,

when I do get my SUV, I am planning on building 2 of these ddb10s, each maybe even isobarically loaded...how sick and twisted would that be? so a totall of 8 10s in the back...I dunno yet, but we'll have to see

db10_2_001.JPG
  IP Logged
Adrian
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 07/20/08 at 18:22:54

Sweet looking build !

IP Logged
2kdime
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 09/09/08 at 04:37:42

I wonder if your "divider" affected the sound of the box at all.

Im making my death boxes in the same fashion. But the middle divider needs to come up into the ports flush with the box. Thats how im gonna build mine anyways.

Any updates on your setup?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print