Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 21:28:27 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Decware ZP3+ in Audio Classifieds (Read 14100 times)
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Decware ZP3+ in Audio Classifieds
06/04/08 at 03:47:20

After some serious deliberation, I have decided to totally give up the analog side of things ...  :-?

Living with a very decent phono front end for several months has convinced me of a couple of things .....

1 - Analog sounds really, really good.

2 - Despite point #1, my listening habits simply do not drive me to make the effort needed to enjoy what analog has to offer.

Over the past few months, I have probably not spun vinyl 10 times ..... while I have spent two or more hours almost every day listening to CDs.  While I'm sure that this is perplexing indeed to my vinyl loving brethren ...... it's the honest to goodness truth.

I like to program the tracks and hate getting up every 20 minutes.  I hate surface noise in any quantity and sit there with my teeth clenched wondering which song is the last one on an LP that I'm not too familiar with .....  :P

It may not make much sense to some ..... but, it is what it is.

So ..... I am listing my ZP3 in the Audio Classifieds.

The price is very attractive, considering the neat parts that went into this beauty.  Here are some photos of the stock ZP3 and the one I have :

Lovers of vinyl will certainly appreciate this fine piece of equipment and I will apply the money to one of Steve's new ZCD players .....  :)

It should be listed sometime in the next few minutes.

https://www.decware.com/N68/toplistings.php?pg=new

Randy

CEC TL5N belt drive CD transport
Cambridge Audio Azur 851N DAC / Streamer
Decware SE84UFO amplifier
Caintuck Audio Betsy Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii Silver-10 Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii 15 Open Bass Baffle
WWW   IP Logged
Hotsauce
Seasoned Member

Re: Decware ZP3+ in Audio Classifieds
Reply #1 - 06/06/08 at 03:17:46

>Vulture mode on<

Will you be posting a list of records for sale as well?

John C.

IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #2 - 06/06/08 at 13:34:15

Hi John,

As you might imagine, my turntable owning buddies will be happy to take the LPs off of my hands .....  ;)

Best wishes,

Randy

WWW   IP Logged
Rob

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 06/06/08 at 20:32:22

Randy in Caintuck wrote on 06/04/08 at 03:47:20:
After some serious deliberation, I have decided to totally give up the analog side of things ...  :-?

Living with a very decent phono front end for several months has convinced me of a couple of things .....

1 - Analog sounds really, really good.

2 - Despite point #1, my listening habits simply do not drive me to make the effort needed to enjoy what analog has to offer.

Over the past few months, I have probably not spun vinyl 10 times ..... while I have spent two or more hours almost every day listening to CDs.  While I'm sure that this is perplexing indeed to my vinyl loving brethren ...... it's the honest to goodness truth.

I like to program the tracks and hate getting up every 20 minutes.  I hate surface noise in any quantity and sit there with my teeth clenched wondering which song is the last one on an LP that I'm not too familiar with .....  :P

It may not make much sense to some ..... but, it is what it is.

Randy

Randy,
I  reached that identical conclusion  about 4  years  ago. I  too love  the sound and allure of  vinyl,  but the  time, cost, & delicacy & detail of  care required to  set-up and  maintain a first-rate vinyl rig  absolutely reached that  point of  diminishing  returns  for me.  The "betterment"  of the  analog audio experience turned into a  "detriment"  in the  pure enjoyment factor of  music for me.

I  (as I'm sure  you are) a  pretty hard-working/busy guy.  Losing what are sometimes precious  few listening  hours  to the "care and feeding"  of LPs & Turntables simply  does not  work for me.  

I  have an  extremely  satisfying  tube output digital front-end that  has been pretty extremely modified to the point  where I  never find myself  pining to have  vinyl
for  more than a passing moment.  I  am in a  good  and  happy  audio place, with no regrets. Insert  disc, press play….  Drool.

That said, I have great admiration for  those vinylfiles that keep the format  going.
I appreciate it in the  way  I  do a person that has any hobby that  requires meticulous attention to detail to get it  “right”

Keep ‘em  spinning  J

(2) SE84C-Selects
HDTs w/Aurum Cantis Ribbons on home-made 2" solid maple plinths
Sunfire True Sub(x'ed@42hz/o gain)
Shanling CDT100(hot-modded)
PSAudio 600
Custom 99.999% silver sprk cables & ICs
Decware silver/teflon "Y"
Lots-a-tubes,cones & spikes
  IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #4 - 06/07/08 at 20:25:56

Hi Rob,

It sounds like we have traveled a lot of the same "audio road" .....  8-)

While I readily admit that there are some things that vinyl does better than digital at any price (specifically cymbals and violins/fiddles), I have gotten close enough to be quite content with digital in my system.

I have owned the very fine Zanden 5000 MK IV DAC and it has given me a pretty good reference to figure out what my "point of diminishing returns" DAC should be.  The Camelot Uther / Anagram unit is very close for a lot less money.  Very different, but still excellent.

The little Channel Islands Audio DAC is surprisingly good for the money.
I recently heard a Hagerman Chime that was very impressive.  Unfortunately, I didn't hear it in my system ..... which I hope to do soon.
I also want to give the new Decware player a serious listen.

I plan to compare all of the above (using my CEC transport and Digital Lens where applicable) over a period of several days.
When the smoke clears, I will keep the player or combo that floats my boat and settle in to collecting little silver disks .....  :)

I dare say that there are a few others who share our view of this .....  ;)

Best wishes,

Randy

WWW   IP Logged
opnly_bafld
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/07/08 at 22:12:51

Randy in Caintuck wrote on 06/07/08 at 20:25:56:
When the smoke clears, I will keep the player or combo that floats my boat and settle in to collecting little silver disks .....  :)

I dare say that there are a few others who share our view of this .....  ;)

Best wishes,

Randy

Looking forward to reading of your adventures Randy.

Add me to the list of those that share the shiny view.  
8-) maybe nobody will recognize me with these sunglasses.  ;D

Lin

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #6 - 06/08/08 at 03:52:43

Randy,

My eyebrow (only one) raised a bit when I came across your post -as you might imagine.  But, I am not surprised nor disappointed.  The reasoning is MORE than valid.  I see your only asking 895.00 for it.  If you want you're welcome to send it to me in exchange for a ZCD that I will add an IEC connector to and include one of our excellent power cords with - even up.  Knowing how high a priority you place on imaging and sound stage, I'm willing to bet you choose the ZCD.  Of course I will still give you a 30 day trial because 30 days is an absolute requirement to hear a player fully burned in.  All I ask is that you accumulate some excellent NOS 12AU7's to roll through it during your trial.  Granted, you can only take the red book format so far, especially when it's not up sampled to 96/24 or 192/24 and so on.  However, when you take all the other things that make music instead of sound come out of a unit, the ZCD just gets it so right that the higher sampling rates, lenses, clocks., etc., really don't mean much from a percentage point of view.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
60_and_up
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 06/08/08 at 06:49:29

Randy in Caintuck wrote on 06/04/08 at 03:47:20:

Randy

i couldnt agree more, i listen to music mostly in my van Shocked but also while im working in various very different locations.

which is why i built myself a 'boombox' using a sonic impact class t amp and fostex fe167e speakers ipod source.

no point having an amazing rig if you just dont use it.

still playin with the ports,

runs for about 50 hours on a full charge

sounds wonderful
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w48E3ij0Xio

IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #8 - 06/09/08 at 02:52:40

Steve Deckert wrote on 06/08/08 at 03:52:43:
Randy,

My eyebrow (only one) raised a bit when I came across your post -as you might imagine.  But, I am not surprised nor disappointed.  The reasoning is MORE than valid.  I see your only asking 895.00 for it.  If you want you're welcome to send it to me in exchange for a ZCD that I will add an IEC connector to and include one of our excellent power cords with - even up.  Knowing how high a priority you place on imaging and sound stage, I'm willing to bet you choose the ZCD.  Of course I will still give you a 30 day trial because 30 days is an absolute requirement to hear a player fully burned in.  All I ask is that you accumulate some excellent NOS 12AU7's to roll through it during your trial.  Granted, you can only take the red book format so far, especially when it's not up sampled to 96/24 or 192/24 and so on.  However, when you take all the other things that make music instead of sound come out of a unit, the ZCD just gets it so right that the higher sampling rates, lenses, clocks., etc., really don't mean much from a percentage point of view.

Steve

Howdy Steve,

I will take you up on your more than generous offer .....  :)

The only thing I don't understand is why someone did not snap the ZP3+ up 15 minutes after I listed it .....  :-/

It's seems that not too many folks really understood what was being offered.  Truthfully, one of the reasons that I did not play many LPs over the past couple of months is that the ZP3 made them sound so good that I was afraid that I might have second thoughts about selling the vinyl rig.  

My reasons for wanting to stay with digital exclusively are sincere ..... my taste in music demands that I be able to program tracks ..... and I get into such a state of "deep relaxation" with some of the music that I "came to" a couple of times in utter horror while I still owned the Music Hall turntable not knowing how long the stylus had been tracking the end grooves of an LP.  My wife calls this state "sleep" ..... but I assured her that I was simply in another place listening to the music .....  ;D

This is never an issue with a CD player .....  ::)

I already have the suggested NOS 12AU7 tubes .....  8-)

The ZP3 will be shipped out to you early this week.

Looking forward to hearing the ZCD.

Best wishes,

Randy

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 06/09/08 at 15:35:02

What a wonderful manufacturer and supporter of his customer base our host is!

Huzzah!

Randy, Cheesy  'Nuff said!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
60_and_up
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 06/09/08 at 17:45:24

when i owned a turntable, it would pick the stylus up at the end of the record, and return the stylus to a 'rest' then switch itself off.

are there no quality tts that have this feature?

IP Logged
Eli Duttman
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 06/10/08 at 00:36:10

60_and_up wrote on 06/09/08 at 17:45:24:
when i owned a turntable, it would pick the stylus up at the end of the record, and return the stylus to a 'rest' then switch itself off.

are there no quality tts that have this feature?

You are describing a semi-automatic TT.  It's single play, with manual cuing, and automated at end of side.  Unfortunately, I am unaware of any new, "high end" stuff with those features.

Look for a decent arm that raises at end of record.  Such things have been made.  As long as the stylus leaves the groove after playing a side, all is well.  

IP Logged
veryoldcat
Seasoned Member

dam*ed if you do,
and dam*ed if you
don't

Reply #12 - 06/10/08 at 09:09:01

60; wouldn't it be great if you could stack a number of records on there all at once; now, wouldn't it?

Well, guess what...they used to make them just like that...called a *changer.* They'd play 45's and 78's, as well. You NEEDED a changer for 78's, especially if you were listening to the Ring cycle or perhaps Parcifal.

As kids we had a "Webcor" changer, which was a superb unit not only for Wagner operas, but also good for an afternoon's worth of doowop 45's. They just don't make em like they used to.

Karl

SE84CS (vcapped), CSP, zbox, Dec685, ZP 1.0, Sota tt/Well-Tempered Arm/V15XMR, Parker 98's, Parker Audio *Power Chords*, cat 6 wires, OSX; a garage sale of other stuff...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print