04/23/24 at 07:41:36 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tube Rolling (Read 9968 times)
eparson
Ex Member

Tube Rolling
05/01/08 at 22:24:17

I am curious to see if others have done any tube rolling with their TORII  MK II amp.  If so can you please post what you have tried and your impressions.....  Thanks

IP Logged
Jason

Re: Tube Rolling
Reply #1 - 06/15/08 at 02:39:45

For the longest time, I ran JAN phillips 6922's.  They give a bit more spank to the amp, but I eventually went back to the 6n1p's for overall smoothness and listenability.  I've also tried various brands of 6dj8's and they are all pretty unexciting.   I guess it's due to the fact that the signal tube is the phase invertor rather than being a SET gain stage.   Oh, and I did try the 6n2p's - they don't work period.

As far as EL34's, Flying =C='s have my one and only vote.

I've been running NOS sylvaina 5u4's in it since new.

The absolute biggest improvement was rolling the ZCD in as a source.... never mind tube rolling.   Wink

Jason

IP Logged
kyrill
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/25/08 at 11:08:02

Hi Jason
what is a ZCD?

and why are there so few Torii posts?
:)
Kyrill

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 07/25/08 at 11:45:43

Kyrill,

A ZCD is a Teac cd player that Steve Deckert modifies with a wonderful tubed output stage as well as other modifications.

Go to the main page for Decware (the "Site Menu" option above, next to the red "RSS") and select the "What's New" menu and you'll see a blurb about the ZCD and a link to its pages. . . .

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print