04/26/24 at 23:51:05 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
XM Radio and MP-3's (Read 2767 times)
doc4critters
Ex Member

XM Radio and MP-3's
04/25/08 at 23:34:55

My wife has an XM radio that I just couldn't listen to.  I plugged a PC satellite speaker set into the headphone jack, and it is tolerable.  I haven't bothered to try it through the Zen, I'm certain I will be disappointed.  

I've downloaded MP-3 files and burned them to CD, and have found the audio quality sorely lacking.   The convenience and speed of purchasing music song-by-song is attractive, but I won't do it again as the media is just too crappy.  Maybe it's my Apple laptop's drive, but I wouldn't think so.  I've burned other CD's and had good quality.  I downloaded a Bobby McFerrin tune (no, not 'don't worry be happy'! Tongue)  It sounded like a bad AAD CD.  I used to have the CD, lost it in a divorce.  I remember the CD sounding much better, with a soundstage and space to it.  This sounded like cheap cardboard muffle.

Is this what other people are experiencing?  I'd like to enjoy these media through my Zen.  I've been reading about digital FM, as television is going digital, but with all the options available already it just hasn't been a priority.  And when they say 'CD quality', what exactly are they saying?  Whose ears are these?

P.S.  It's been a while since I've been to decware and the forums; got married last spring, moved, started a new job, bought a house and moved again....   anyway, I ran across the ZPOD.  I'd read about it on a previous visit and forgot.  I should say I've piped my daughter's Ipod through the zen and it sounded pretty good.  I also piped it through these PC satellites, and they sounded pretty good as well.   So, I do know it is possible to get decent MP-3's.  Maybe it is my Apple drive after all.

IP Logged
doc4critters
Ex Member

Re: XM Radio and MP-3's
Reply #1 - 04/26/08 at 00:01:01

Hmm, looks like I should have been over at the audio forums instead.  Well, I'm out of time for now, I'm leaving this here and maybe I'll browse the audio forum before I post again.

Okay, I lied.  I checked the sound card, it's a Texas Instruments TAS3004.  When I've listened to music off the hard drive through the headphone jack into the Zen, it did not sound good.  That would implicate the sound card.  The CD burner is a MATSHITA DVD-R   UJ-845E.

I need to do more forum reading.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print