03/28/24 at 20:52:27 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Just got DM944's (Read 26702 times)
DAS
Ex Member

Just got DM944's
03/24/07 at 16:26:26

Hi everyone, I bought DM 944 speakers from Steve and I'm very impressed. I am using a Fisher 400 receiver with my 944's with very good results.
My problem is I can't use my turntable with the Fisher, low output mc cartridge. My main system I use an Audible Illusion M3 pre-amp with a gold mc phono stage. What SET amp would be a good match with AI pre and 944 combo? The output impedance of the AI pre is 1.2kOhm main output, and 200 Ohm tape output. Input is 50kOhm line input, 100kOhm for CD.
Thanks in advance for any info. This would be my 1st SET and high efficienty speaker system. I tryed EL34 mono's a few years back , but wouldn't drive my Legacy Focus speakers to my satisfaction. Now I have speakers that will let me hear what this single ended triode thing is all about.
Thanks,   Doug

IP Logged
MikeW
Ex Member

Re: Just got DM944's
Reply #1 - 03/24/07 at 17:53:36

The only SET's at Decware are the SE84C and SE84CZ...The taboo is a single ended pentode and the TorriII  is a pushpull design. The TorriII is a magical amp though.

Any of the Decware amps would drive the DM944's and  fit nicely behind the AI preamp. That is a good sounding preamp. I could not get the one I had quiet enough to suit my system but it sounded glorious. Think it might have needed some servicing.

Can't tell you too much about any other SET's except the EV Carina which is a tough amp to get your hands on.

Watch Audiogon if you do not want a new one....they (Decware amps) show up from time to time but they don't last too long and there is also a classified section here now.

Good luck

Mike

IP Logged
Tish
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/24/07 at 18:23:18

Hi Dos,  Don't forget the decware SE34I.2!!  I have one that has dual volume controls and single input. I use it with a Wright Sound Preamp and just set the dual volume controls on the SE34I.2 at a point where my master volume control on my Wright Sound sounds the best(11:00). Hope you could follow that. Anyway it is probably one of the most beautiful looking amps on the market(I also own a pair of zencs's,) and also one of the most beautiful sounding. My zens are faster but the SE34I.2 is a little richer sounding, maybe just the ticket for those new speakers!    Tish

IP Logged
MikeW
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/24/07 at 19:22:27

Quote:
Hi Dos,  Don't forget the decware SE34I.2!!  

Woops...forgot one

IP Logged
Eli Duttman
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/24/07 at 19:46:51

DAS wrote on 03/24/07 at 16:26:26:
Hi everyone, I bought DM 944 speakers from Steve and I'm very impressed. I am using a Fisher 400 receiver with my 944's with very good results.
My problem is I can't use my turntable with the Fisher, low output mc cartridge. My main system I use an Audible Illusion M3 pre-amp with a gold mc phono stage. What SET amp would be a good match with AI pre and 944 combo? The output impedance of the AI pre is 1.2kOhm main output, and 200 Ohm tape output. Input is 50kOhm line input, 100kOhm for CD.
Thanks in advance for any info. This would be my 1st SET and high efficienty speaker system. I tryed EL34 mono's a few years back , but wouldn't drive my Legacy Focus speakers to my satisfaction. Now I have speakers that will let me hear what this single ended triode thing is all about.
Thanks,   Doug

It's easy enough to use your TT with the 400C.  You need to acquire a pair of 1:10 step up cartridge trafos.  Such trafos are available from several sources, including Jensen/Calif.  I suggest you consider the Sowter model 9570, which is capable and physically small.  You might be able to mount a pair of 9570s inside the 400C.

IP Logged
erimille

Reply #5 - 03/24/07 at 19:51:48

DAS wrote on 03/24/07 at 16:26:26:
Hi everyone, I bought DM 944 speakers from Steve and I'm very impressed.

Any additional details / reviews you can provide on the DM944 would be appreciated. I'm seriously considering these as my next set of speakers and looking for as much information as I can get Smiley

--e

IP Logged
DAS
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 03/25/07 at 04:50:05

erimille wrote on 03/24/07 at 19:51:48:
Any additional details / reviews you can provide on the DM944 would be appreciated. I'm seriously considering these as my next set of speakers and looking for as much information as I can get Smiley

--e

I'll try to give my impressions of the DM944's as compared to the Legacy Focus speakers.
The Focus has 3- 15" woofers, 2-7" midrange and a ribbon tweeter and 1.25" dome yweeter. The 944's have an 8" driver and a ribbon tweeter. The Focus is primarily powered by a Krell KSA50s amp, Audible Illusions M3 pre-amp. The 944's were powered by a Fisher 400 tube receiver. The source was the same for both. Yes I did flip flop systems, but preferred tubes for the 944's and ss+ tubes for the Focus.
The Focus has low deep bass and weight to the bottom end. The 944's do not have deep bass, but have tight tunefull bass, nimble if you will. The 944's also had  surprising heft when the recording called for it. The bass almost sounds slow on the Focus when you compare the two.
Soundstage on the Focus is wide ,big and deep when called for. The 944's are not as wide or big ( this may be due to the fact I have them in front of the Focus for now ).
I'm enjoying the contrast too much right now to set them up where they should be.
Midrange on the Focus is nice, not in your face, somewhat creammy smooth. The 944's sounded like a sheet was lifted from in front of the music. The sound is crisp without being bright. It's open ,transparent, exciting! The sound seems faster than the Focus.
The high's are about equal to these 49yr. old ears. Both are non fatiguing, clear and clean. Cymbals sound like cymbals should, this is comming from a former drummer.
I've owned the Focus for 12 yrs. and only owned the 944's for 3 weeks. The 944's were a demo pair that Steve used at Decfest 06 and are pretty well broken in. I paid 7 times the price for the Focus as I did for the 944's.
The best analogy I can come up with is... If the Legacy Focus are an SUV, the DM944's are a sportscar!

Doug

IP Logged
60_and_up
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 03/25/07 at 09:14:45

DAS wrote on 03/25/07 at 04:50:05:
I'll try to give my impressions of the DM944's as compared to the Legacy Focus speakers.
The Focus has 3- 15" woofers, 2-7" midrange and a ribbon tweeter and 1.25" dome yweeter. The 944's have an 8" driver and a ribbon tweeter. The Focus is primarily powered by a Krell KSA50s amp, Audible Illusions M3 pre-amp. The 944's were powered by a Fisher 400 tube receiver. The source was the same for both. Yes I did flip flop systems, but preferred tubes for the 944's and ss+ tubes for the Focus.
The Focus has low deep bass and weight to the bottom end. The 944's do not have deep bass, but have tight tunefull bass, nimble if you will. The 944's also had  surprising heft when the recording called for it. The bass almost sounds slow on the Focus when you compare the two.
Soundstage on the Focus is wide ,big and deep when called for. The 944's are not as wide or big ( this may be due to the fact I have them in front of the Focus for now ).
I'm enjoying the contrast too much right now to set them up where they should be.
Midrange on the Focus is nice, not in your face, somewhat creammy smooth. The 944's sounded like a sheet was lifted from in front of the music. The sound is crisp without being bright. It's open ,transparent, exciting! The sound seems faster than the Focus.
The high's are about equal to these 49yr. old ears. Both are non fatiguing, clear and clean. Cymbals sound like cymbals should, this is comming from a former drummer.
I've owned the Focus for 12 yrs. and only owned the 944's for 3 weeks. The 944's were a demo pair that Steve used at Decfest 06 and are pretty well broken in. I paid 7 times the price for the Focus as I did for the 944's.
The best analogy I can come up with is... If the Legacy Focus are an SUV, the DM944's are a sportscar!

Doug

it sais in the notes that your new speakers only play down to 50hz, they need a subwoofer to play with them for the low end.

$30 sias if you get a good sub, in another 5 weeks you wont be able to listen to your old speakers as the new ones will be so much better. the veil over the old speakers will become intolerable to you.

but if you dont use the 944s with a sub, you will always miss the low end of you old speakers.

IP Logged
DAS
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 03/25/07 at 14:33:19

60_and_up wrote on 03/25/07 at 09:14:45:
it sais in the notes that your new speakers only play down to 50hz, they need a subwoofer to play with them for the low end.

$30 sias if you get a good sub, in another 5 weeks you wont be able to listen to your old speakers as the new ones will be so much better. the veil over the old speakers will become intolerable to you.

but if you dont use the 944s with a sub, you will always miss the low end of you old speakers.

I'm not in to subwoofers, I like full range speakers. I got the 944's as a way to experience SET with high eff. speakers. I was pleasently surprised with the DM944's.
I bet HDT's would be a perfect combination of both my speakers.
If and when I can afford it I may sell the 944's to get HDT's.
I'll still hold on to my big speakers untill I can hear something beat the beautiful music I am getting from them.
Doug

IP Logged
erimille

Reply #9 - 03/25/07 at 16:27:24

60_and_up wrote on 03/25/07 at 09:14:45:

What notes are you referring to? I haven't read anything that  the DM944's only play down to 50hz and require a subwoofer.

--e

ps: anyone know if these are going to come in kit form?

IP Logged
erimille

Reply #10 - 03/25/07 at 16:42:29

DAS wrote on 03/25/07 at 04:50:05:

Doug, *many* thanks for the review. Much appreciated.

Regarding amps for driving the DM944's, I'd suggest looking into a Zen Select and CSP combination. With all the talk of the v2 of these, the "originals" seem to be showing up now and again on audiogon (e.g [1]) at very reasonable prices.  I'm running this combination with Steve's new 'hi gain' tubes, and am very pleased.

My hope is to find out shortly if this indeed has the right synergy with the DM944's Smiley

--e

[1] http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstube&1177827770

IP Logged
60_and_up
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 03/25/07 at 17:00:58

DAS wrote on 03/25/07 at 14:33:19:
I'm not in to subwoofers, I like full range speakers. I got the 944's as a way to experience SET with high eff. speakers. I was pleasently surprised with the DM944's.
I bet HDT's would be a perfect combination of both my speakers.
If and when I can afford it I may sell the 944's to get HDT's.
I'll still hold on to my big speakers untill I can hear something beat the beautiful music I am getting from them.
Doug

its not about being into or not subwoofers, its about getting all the music. if you do get your self a lil sub, you will still get all the beautyy of the 944s, be able to use your set amp, plus youll get  the last few octaves.

just try a $120 subwoofer from your local big box store for me, hook it up and play some familiar music and adjust the volume of the sub until you can just tell its there crossed over at 50 hz, then when its set like this turn it down just a hair. so it almost seems pointless to have it, but the lower octaves will be present and the cheapass sub will not overpower or interfere with the beauty of the 944s. you will have to try several different locations in your room for best result at your listening chair. if you hate it take it back to the big box store and you have lost nothing but 2 hours of tour time, if you do kinda like it? you can buy my wo32 Smiley (which is about 40 x better than any sub you will find for sale in a store for less than $3000)

if you dont use a lil sub ith the 944s you will always be without the last few octaves?

for me, there is a lot of material that is below 50hz that is the foundation of all my listening .

if set up correctly, you wont even know the sub is there, and it will blend seamlessly with the 944

IP Logged
60_and_up
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 03/25/07 at 17:03:34

erimille wrote on 03/25/07 at 16:27:24:

What notes are you referring to? I haven't read anything that  the DM944's only play down to 50hz

from the 944 page,

SPECIFICATIONS

94 dB with 1 watt at 1 meter
55Hz ~ 22kHz
4 ohm nominal impedance
Crossover main driver / none
Crossover ribbon tweeter / 6dB @ 8kHz
2 ~ 100 watts
Max SPL 112dB
Size 8" wide, 10" deep, 16" high
MDF 4th order cabinet, rear ported
Real Oak veneer, hardwood corners
Removable Grill
5 way recessed binding posts on rear
8 inch / cast frame / wool cone / butyl
4 inch / cast frame / isodynamic planar
Cap is 400v Polypropelene Film&Foil
Natural Oak finish or Black Oak finish
Shipping weight 25 lbs.
5 years on drivers and cabinets
30 day money back trial

IP Logged
erimille

Reply #13 - 03/25/07 at 17:23:40

60_and_up wrote on 03/25/07 at 17:03:34:
from the 944 page,

SPECIFICATIONS

94 dB with 1 watt at 1 meter
55Hz ~ 22kHz

(snip)

doh! I think this is the second time I've mixed up the DM944's with the MG944's Sad

I've been thinking we were talking about these - https://www.decware.com/newsite/MG944.htm

# 94 dB with 1 watt at 1 meter
# 28Hz ~ 22kHz
# 4 ohm nominal impedance

etc.

never mind... i suspect i need more coffee and a new pair of glasses!

--e

IP Logged
DAS
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 03/25/07 at 17:26:34

60_and_up wrote on 03/25/07 at 17:00:58:
its not about being into or not subwoofers, its about getting all the music. if you do get your self a lil sub, you will still get all the beautyy of the 944s, be able to use your set amp, plus youll get  the last few octaves.

just try a $120 subwoofer from your local big box store for me, hook it up and play some familiar music and adjust the volume of the sub until you can just tell its there crossed over at 50 hz, then when its set like this turn it down just a hair. so it almost seems pointless to have it, but the lower octaves will be present and the cheapass sub will not overpower or interfere with the beauty of the 944s. you will have to try several different locations in your room for best result at your listening chair. if you hate it take it back to the big box store and you have lost nothing but 2 hours of tour time, if you do kinda like it? you can buy my wo32 Smiley (which is about 40 x better than any sub you will find for sale in a store for less than $3000)

if you dont use a lil sub ith the 944s you will always be without the last few octaves?

for me, there is a lot of material that is below 50hz that is the foundation of all my listening .

if set up correctly, you wont even know the sub is there, and it will blend seamlessly with the 944

I might be persuaded to try your WO32 , If the price was right, and some explaining on how to hook a sub to my Fisher 400.
Thanks, Doug

IP Logged
rmt
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 03/25/07 at 18:59:20

erimille wrote on 03/25/07 at 17:23:40:
never mind... i suspect i need more coffee and a new pair of glasses!--e

It's already afternoon.  What you need is a later time zone. Smiley

Select, CSP2 upgrade, Dec 685, DSRii, Nibbelin NFX w/DFR-8s, SE34.I, Zbox
  IP Logged
60_and_up
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 03/25/07 at 20:14:52

DAS wrote on 03/25/07 at 17:26:34:
I might be persuaded to try your WO32 , If the price was right

67 views and no-one wants it?

make me an offer.

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1174780461

IP Logged
erimille

Reply #17 - 03/25/07 at 22:34:43

rmt wrote on 03/25/07 at 18:59:20:
It's already afternoon.  What you need is a later time zone. Smiley

With the early arrival of our 2nd son on St. Patricks day, i'd be happy with *any* time zone as long as its stable Smiley

sorry again for the confusion folks.

--e

IP Logged
60_and_up
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 03/25/07 at 22:38:52

erimille wrote on 03/25/07 at 22:34:43:
With the early arrival of our 2nd son on St. Patricks day, i'd be happy with *any* time zone as long as its stable Smiley

sorry again for the confusion folks.

--e

congrats on the lil fella, ill think of you as i sleep peacefully night after night after ........:)

i assume his name will be 'mick' or 'paddy' or shamus' ?

what was brad pitt called in  "snatch" ?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0208092/

IP Logged
DAS
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 03/26/07 at 04:30:29

60_and_up wrote on 03/25/07 at 20:14:52:
67 views and no-one wants it?

make me an offer.

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1174780461

60 and up, I'd love to try the wo32 with my 944's!
A few questions, could you explain (in layman's terms ) how to connect 944's and sub to a active crossover and use my fisher for the 944's and my Krell for the sub? The krell is 50W into 8 Ohm, 100 into 4 Ohm, 200 into 2 Ohm.

How much would a good crossover cost?
How much to send the WO32 to the east coast ?  (17350)
Thanks,  Doug Lips Sealed

IP Logged
60_and_up
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 03/26/07 at 15:22:32

this is the way i do it

source / amp speakers
         \ xover amp subwoofer

Undecided

IP Logged
DAS
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 03/26/07 at 18:12:20

60_and_up wrote on 03/26/07 at 15:22:32:
this is the way i do it

source / amp speakers
         \ xover amp subwoofer

Undecided

Okay let me see if I got it.
CD player connected to my Fisher,L+R speaker wire from Fisher to DM944's, than speaker wire from L+R terminal to the xover, than interconnects from xover to Krell, then speaker wire from Krell amp to sub?
That doesn't seem right.
I never hooked anything up like this before, please excuse my ignorance. Embarrassed

IP Logged
MikeW
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 03/26/07 at 18:33:48

DAS...........pm sent...and my comment was assuming you are using an active crossover. Smiley

IP Logged
Tish
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 03/26/07 at 18:37:20

Hi DOS,    I saw a TBI sub amp with builtin Xover on Audiogon for 200.00. the retail was about 475.00 so this is a good price.  It is a stand alone unit so you can place it anywhere, and has both line level and speaker level inputs,so you could just run the sub off your speaker taps on the fisher.(best way for two channel system). I use one with my TBI magellin sub and paid a lot more for mine Sad    Tish

IP Logged
60_and_up
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 03/26/07 at 19:40:32

DAS wrote on 03/26/07 at 18:12:20:
Okay let me see if I got it.
CD player connected to my Fisher,L+R speaker wire from Fisher to DM944's, than speaker wire from L+R terminal to the xover, than interconnects from xover to Krell, then speaker wire from Krell amp to sub?
That doesn't seem right.
I never hooked anything up like this before, please excuse my ignorance. Embarrassed

i split the signal at the source before it gets or goes anywhere, and take each independant signal to wherever it belongs or works best.
i believe splitting the signal at the source is ok as most sources have enuf signal (voltage/output) to split without degadation?

IP Logged
DAS
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 03/27/07 at 04:21:26

60, MikeW, TISH, Thanks for all your help! I think I'm going to save my money for a DECWARE SET first, then work on the low freq.
You guys on this forum are great! Smiley
Thank you!
Doug

IP Logged
60_and_up
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 03/27/07 at 04:33:18

DAS wrote on 03/27/07 at 04:21:26:
60, MikeW, TISH, Thanks for all your help! I think I'm going to save my money for a DECWARE SET first, then work on the low freq.
You guys on this forum are great! Smiley
Thank you!
Doug

if you go that route and get a decware set amp for the 944s, your opening a whole new can of worms, a can that has at the bottom

true audio nirvana.

be careful,

you may have to discard some of your music collection (maybe some favorites?), because you will have such a revealing system,

that any imperfection at all in the recording will make it unlistenable.

this is a good thing, because listening to the remainder of your collection will be like haveing 'the band' in the room with you.

excellent choice DAS  8-)

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print