Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/26/24 at 04:33:21 

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
NEW DECWARE AMP at DECFEST2007 (Read 146495 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: NEW DECWARE AMP at DECFEST2007
Reply #50 - 09/08/07 at 01:29:20

Okay. . . regarding the photo. . . .

SHWING!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
selmerdave
Ex Member

Reply #51 - 09/08/07 at 02:06:33

Yikes.

Steve, thanks for your reply, and sorry to annoy you.

Dave

IP Logged
stevef
Ex Member

Reply #52 - 09/08/07 at 03:55:16

Since we have entered the area of OPTs,  I have a question.  Older audiophiles will remember the Carver silver seven tube amp.  Bob Carver built a sample to prove he could build a great tube amp.  Mike Kay at Lyric Audio encouraged production, and it was distributed.  Enough background.  I remember hearing a pair with rather poor loudspeakers, not much of a demo.  The unusual aspect of the amp was that each output had two OPTs, and I don't believe that they were identical.  My question is "Why two different paralleled trannies?''  I haven't seen this configuration anywhere else.

Steve

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #53 - 09/08/07 at 05:42:23

Dave - you didn't annoy me at all.  IT annoys me.  You simply pointed out what most people would logically think and gave me an opportunity to address it.

SteveF - The original Torii used two separate transformers for each half of the push/pull but they were in series and matched.  To use two different size transformers in parallel would do a number of things... The saturation pattern on each core would be different... This could possibly protect the midrange from bass saturation letting you push the amp harder with less iron making a grand opportunity for cost savings.  It would also no doubt alter the signature of the amplifier in interesting ways in which case it may have been an attempt to create something rather special - similar to what i did with the original Torii.   It could have also not really been in parallel in which case you would double the number of primary taps which would allow you to wire it like a Macintosh for better damping.

WWW   IP Logged
rayd
Seasoned Member

Reply #54 - 09/08/07 at 13:23:59

I see two inputs on each monoblock - I'm guessing one is for use with the pot and the other is direct (bypassing the pot)?

Also, couldn't find much on the OA3 tube on the internet. If it's used for voltage regulation, is there any tube-rolling advantages for this particular type?

- Ray

Decware SE84CS Zen Select, vintage Philips CD880 w/CDM-1 MK2 transport & TDA1541A S1 DAC, Parker 95's, Promitheus Audio TVC Reference 1, Blue Jeans Cables, NOS Tubes, HAL-Os
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #55 - 09/08/07 at 14:11:18

Ray - No tube rolling with the OA3's required.  We spend a lot of time worrying about clean power and in these amps the B+ that feeds the input tube goes through the OA3 meaning that it jumps the gap between anode and cathode before it feeds the input stage.  Think of it as electrons traveling between the power supply and the input tube with NO WIRE.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Hotsauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #56 - 09/08/07 at 14:30:22

If I'm understanding correctly then, the 0A3 is the tube eqivalent of a Zener diode.  

John C.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #57 - 09/09/07 at 01:58:23

An OA3 is the tube equivalent of a Zener diode, yes.   Except the OA3 looks WAY COOLER when it's on.
Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #58 - 09/11/07 at 02:55:53

And here is what it looks like in the alternate black zen base...  

Steve Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
veryoldcat
Seasoned Member

dam*ed if you do,
and dam*ed if you
don't

Reply #59 - 09/11/07 at 06:26:47

What happened to the high and low bias position switch for the input valve on the new mono's? Angry

(I've never been a fan of the high bias position on the original se84cs. In fact, I hate the "amped" high bias sound on my Select, but prefer the more relaxed low bias position).

Karl

SE84CS (vcapped), CSP, zbox, Dec685, ZP 1.0, Sota tt/Well-Tempered Arm/V15XMR, Parker 98's, Parker Audio *Power Chords*, cat 6 wires, OSX; a garage sale of other stuff...
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #60 - 09/11/07 at 13:03:58

Bias switch:  Same as the SE84ZS.  The switch is eliminated.  The tube is biased mid way between the two points.

WWW   IP Logged
buzz
Ex Member

Reply #61 - 09/11/07 at 13:08:16

Steve Deckert wrote on 09/11/07 at 02:55:53:
And here is what it looks like in the alternate black zen base...  

http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/1505/se84zsm024cv3.jpg

Steve Smiley

Very beautiful... I like the new lighted power switches.

IP Logged
Corey
Seasoned Member

Reply #62 - 09/11/07 at 20:44:55

Steve Deckert wrote on 09/08/07 at 00:23:47:
And yes, you're right - that answers the OPT question.  If there were something clearly superior to a Zen OPT I would have used it in these monos.  There isn't.

Steve Deckert

Smiley

The reality Steve is that a Plitron transformer won't fit on your chassis. I am not saying that a Plitron is superior because it is more expensive. It is superior because of its design/designer. Bigger is not always better, true. But in this case, better happens to be bigger.

Corey

WWW   IP Logged
morpheous85
Ex Member

Reply #63 - 09/11/07 at 22:11:24

Corey wrote on 09/11/07 at 20:44:55:
The reality Steve is that a Plitron transformer won't fit on your chassis. I am not saying that a Plitron is superior because it is more expensive. It is superior because of its design/designer. Bigger is not always better, true. But in this case, better happens to be bigger.

Corey

Come on. You really think the flagship amplifier by Decware had it's OPT dictated by the chassis size?

Jason

IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #64 - 09/11/07 at 23:00:22

Corey: Maybe you should wait a bit befor passing judgement on something none of us have yet heard! Roll Eyes
                                                                                                                            Don

Decware, Rega, Heybrook/Linn/Ortofon
Goertz/Wireworld/cat-5/MarkAudio Alpair 10.2 drivers
(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
NHT SB3’s
  IP Logged
rmt
Seasoned Member

Reply #65 - 09/11/07 at 23:18:51

Randy in Caintuck wrote on 08/24/07 at 18:19:26:
Nah .....I'm certain that the new amps won't work very well with the CSP2 .....   UndecidedRandy

Is this true or are you bs-ing us?

I never put my CS in the high bias position.  Having this amp at the midway will probably be right where I like it.  Does anyone know if a pre recommended?  Will the black zen base cost more?

I want one(two) .

Select, CSP2 upgrade, Dec 685, DSRii, Nibbelin NFX w/DFR-8s, SE34.I, Zbox
  IP Logged
selmerdave
Ex Member

Reply #66 - 09/11/07 at 23:55:39

I'm quite sure Randy's comment was in jest...

Dave

IP Logged
Terry
Ex Member

Reply #67 - 09/12/07 at 06:59:27

That's just Randy's attempt to talk himself out of buying one, although for the amount he has spent on the rest of his system(s), I think he will spring for them soon or later.  I mean how could he not they sound like a PERFECT match for a CSP2 preamp.  Now if Steve would make a pair in the old black chassis style Randy could not resist that, in fact that is what Steve should do make a black pair to match the old style CSP and have it at the fest.  I would bet money that Randy would ride home with them if he did.

TG

IP Logged
paulc
Ex Member

Reply #68 - 09/12/07 at 10:18:35

Spending Randy's money is fun! Wink

IP Logged
rayd
Seasoned Member

Reply #69 - 09/12/07 at 10:29:24

What are you guys talking about? Randy is buying a geetar!  8-)

Randy in Caintuck wrote on 09/04/07 at 13:35:37:
Yep .....

I recently purchased a stand for my trusty old Takamine acoustic guitar.  Until now, it had sat in its case and I walked past it several times a day.  With it sitting on a stand, almost every time I walk by, it gets picked up and played ..... if just for a few minutes .....  8-)

A few of the songs on one of the David Munyon CDs kept going through my head, so I sat down and figured out the chords.  I am getting a great deal of pleasure playing and singing these songs ..... even  with my "croaking" voice .....  ::)

My local music equipment store will be taking on the Taylor line of acoustic guitars in the next week or two.  The last time I played a Taylor, it even made me sound pretty good .....  ;D

There may be a purchase in the near future .....

Randy  

Decware SE84CS Zen Select, vintage Philips CD880 w/CDM-1 MK2 transport & TDA1541A S1 DAC, Parker 95's, Promitheus Audio TVC Reference 1, Blue Jeans Cables, NOS Tubes, HAL-Os
  IP Logged
rayd
Seasoned Member

Reply #70 - 09/12/07 at 10:35:25

Terry wrote on 09/12/07 at 06:59:27:
Now if Steve would make a pair in the old black chassis style...

Terry, I love the old style monos with the chrome decks - absolutely sexy looking. I think Steve also made the monos in the not so dressed up black boxes also.

And don't forget the drool towel  :)
https://www.decware.com/towel.jpg" alt="" title="" border="0" />

- Ray

IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #71 - 09/12/07 at 13:22:20

rmt wrote on 09/11/07 at 23:18:51:
Is this true or are you bs-ing us?

Howdy rmt,

I'm pretty certain that Steve would have made very sure that the new mono amps work just fine with my beloved CSP2.

As a few of the others suggested ..... I'm just trying to keep a few dollars in my wallet ..... for a change .....  ;)

Like everyone else, I'm looking forward to hearing Steve's new offerings .....  8-)

Regards,

Randy

CEC TL5N belt drive CD transport
Cambridge Audio Azur 851N DAC / Streamer
Decware SE84UFO amplifier
Caintuck Audio Betsy Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii Silver-10 Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii 15 Open Bass Baffle
WWW   IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #72 - 09/12/07 at 14:42:37

paulc wrote on 09/12/07 at 10:18:35:
Spending Randy's money is fun! Wink

Unfortunately, Mrs. Randy has become quite good at it ..... like I needed any help .....  ;D

WWW   IP Logged
Corey
Seasoned Member

Reply #73 - 09/12/07 at 18:19:17

morpheous85 wrote on 09/11/07 at 22:11:24:
Come on. You really think the flagship amplifier by Decware had it's OPT dictated by the chassis size?

Jason

Absolutely.

WWW   IP Logged
Corey
Seasoned Member

Reply #74 - 09/12/07 at 19:29:35

Doorman wrote on 09/11/07 at 23:00:22:
Corey: Maybe you should wait a bit befor passing judgement on something none of us have yet heard! Roll Eyes
                                                                                                                            Don

Don,

First off let me explain where I am coming from. I spent a great deal of money taking the Decware output transformers to the limit by having a Decware amp of mine modified by Eddie Vaughn of Vaughn Audio. That particular amp used EL34's which can be run hotter and with more current than the SV83's. A tube that really shed light on exactly what the Decware output transformers could handle in terms of current.

In an effort to get more low end attack, the designer attempted more current but to no avail. You simply can't change the laws of physics. In dealing with an SET transformer, the design will saturate at a given point, hence larger iron is used to handle more current. If you want the low end grunt and impact that makes an SET sound like a 200 watt SS, then you NEED large iron, that's reality.

After talking about the shortcomings of the Decware iron in the low end registers, Eddie told me that the midbass attack was incredible and very musical, and that is the key to the Decware sound, the midbass. When the midbass is fast, fluent and doesn't interfere with the midrange coherency, the sound can be very good. Couple that with the fact that many customers have not put any effort in their rooms to deal with low end modal issues, and the midbass response can be favourable. Nothing appears to be missing. This is how Decware customers are hearing their SET's on the average full range driver or speaker system not incorporating a sub system. The music is enjoyable and the bass lines track musically, snappy and coherent.

Enter the next step into an SET amp: large iron. Is large iron a trade off in sound? Not if you go with the good stuff. The trade off is cost and space. You can't sell an amp to broke audiophiles using expensive iron and you can't tuck that iron inside your amp making everything look all clean, petite and pretty. Amen?

So to answer your statement, I would have to be waiting for the laws of physics to change to be guilty of passing judgement on the new mono blocks without hearing them. Been there, done that, spent $2500 on the T-shirt. Perhaps if I owned a pair of Decware Corner Horns in a perfect custom room then I might be satisfied with the low end authority of the Decware iron. Unfortunately I will never own a pair of those speakers and it appears that not many others will be owning a pair as well. I have heard of only one pair built since the introduction of the plans.

That leaves myself and the thousands of others owning full range cabinets with the option to spend more money and enjoy the attack and authority that only expensive, large wound transformers can produce. This means getting in touch with someone who CAN build you an exceptional sounding, one-off custom amp and it also means starting at around $2000. If I am going to be spending $2000 on amplification, I certainly am not going to limit my low end response with Decware iron. Scrabble wound, monopoly wound, call it what you like. The low end pressure is severely lacking compared to what's available.

Am I making many friends with this post? Most likely not. Am I against Decware? Not at all, but when I think of the name, I think of speakers.

Corey

WWW   IP Logged
selmerdave
Ex Member

Reply #75 - 09/12/07 at 20:05:15

Gee Corey, obviously you are not a fan of Decware amps, but what you're saying sounds an awful lot like someone else's sales pitch.  Just because you think that the iron you now have does everything the Decware iron did and more, doesn't mean that everyone would agree with you.  There are plenty of people who would and have willfully chosen Decware amps over amps just like yours, and not exclusively because of their "crappy rooms" or your other implications.

You are very much coming across as though your opinion is definitive and "correct", which is awfully presumptuous.  So you prefer another amp and subscribe to someone else's philosophy, big deal.  Not too many people have the same tastes.

Dave

IP Logged
change_out
Ex Member

Reply #76 - 09/12/07 at 20:15:12

Corey,
1. You are right about the importance of the room.
2. I disagree about the Decware iron. Are you confining your "limited bass" to the SET  line up?
3. Both of the Torii's with the Imperials will produce chest thumping, clear as as a bell low end bully.
4. I agree with Dave, you're coming of as a marketing pitch.

Tim

IP Logged
morpheous85
Ex Member

Reply #77 - 09/12/07 at 20:26:53

Running an sv83 OPT with EL34s? Ya it's going to saturate!

I think in the end it comes down to taste. Everyone knows that tube amps have higher measureable distortion that SS. However, most people prefer tube amps, even though they are scientifically inferior.

Steve went to the expense of 0C3 tube regulators, which could have been done with Zener diodes or even left out all together. I don't think chassis size would be the deciding factor of the sound quality. Especially in what's supposed to be his best sounding amplifier, and the top of the line.

Jason

IP Logged
Jason

Reply #78 - 09/12/07 at 21:05:49

change_out wrote on 09/12/07 at 20:15:12:
Corey,
3. Both of the Torii's with the Imperials will produce chest thumping, clear as as a bell low end bully.

Tim

I agree totally with this statement, Tim, except both of the Torii's go against what's being discussed, in fact they almost prove Corey correct.  That, and the Imperials are hardly a fair speaker to use as a bass reference comparison.

Marketing pitch or reality check?  Corey has spent enough $$ to know what works at what doesn't, therefore his opinion is justified.

Jason

IP Logged
selmerdave
Ex Member

Reply #79 - 09/12/07 at 21:27:24

Jason wrote on 09/12/07 at 21:05:49:
I agree totally with this statement, Tim, except both of the Torii's go against what's being discussed, in fact they almost prove Corey correct.

The original Torii used the same OPT's as Zen amps, albeit in a different configuration.

Quote:
Marketing pitch or reality check?  Corey has spent enough $$ to know what works at what doesn't, therefore his opinion is justified.

Plenty of others (Steve Deckert included) have spent as much or more $$ than Corey and come to different conclusions than has he.  His is one opinion among the many.

Dave

IP Logged
buzz
Ex Member

Reply #80 - 09/12/07 at 21:34:32

Jason wrote on 09/12/07 at 21:05:49:
... reality check?  ...

Jason

Lets get to the point then and be brutally honest... I have not heard any SE amp that was up to task in the bass department. I mean bass so tight, so real that nausea is an issue. I have 'big iron' and the bass response is better than smaller iron. But the fact is that it still is not enough... even with the imperial. I end up using SS for the lowest octave. I wish I could truely run single driver full range. But I am caught in the enigma of how a small OPT can sound sweeter, more detailed, and even more holographic than larger iron. But Corey is completely right that for bass bigger iron is better. Here is something to think about... I find cheap Hammond 125CSE OPT to sound very sweet at the top, maybe even better than my Electraprint iron.

Perhaps Steve realizes true magic is in the midrange and top... and is not willing to give that up. It is not that he can't make big iron, it is that he is not willing to compromise what makes his amps special.

So we really are all in the same boat... we wish one amp could do it all, but guess what... one amp can't. How you address that issue is your own compromise.

buzz

IP Logged
Terry
Ex Member

Reply #81 - 09/12/07 at 21:52:41

The best amps I have heard with bass response are class D, perhaps that is because of their super high damping factors, but they can sure slam a note.

TG

IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #82 - 09/12/07 at 22:09:32

As has been mentioned several times in this thread ..... personal taste is the real issue.

Having said that, I am not a "bass freak" by any means.  The music that is my standard fare leans more toward the acoustic side with the lowest notes being produced by an acoustic bass or piano.  I am not much into electronically produced bass.  A Decware Select and CSP2 driving a pair of speakers with the capability to reproduce the bass notes produced by acoustic instruments is extremely realistic and satisfying.  It has been my experience that a good number of folks have been conditioned by the over-emphasized bass that dominates popular music.

I attend events on a regular basis where live piano and acoustic bass are played (unamplified) and I have no complaints about the bass I am hearing from my home system .....  8-)

Steve has stated often that the CSP2 "completes" the sound of the Zen amps and takes the sound to the next level.  The enhanced bass is a big part of that package.  Don't make the mistake of thinking that the Select is bass shy (with suitable speakers) until you have heard it with the CSP2.

Randy

WWW   IP Logged
Corey
Seasoned Member

Reply #83 - 09/12/07 at 22:12:53

change_out wrote on 09/12/07 at 20:15:12:
2. I disagree about the Decware iron. Are you confining your "limited bass" to the SET  line up?

Yes, SET.

Quote:

No doubt, they are push/pull. Again, when I think of Decware, I think of speakers and the Imperial SO's are one of the speaker's I think about!

Quote:

I am a farmer and sell grain and cattle, not audio. I used to be really good friends with Eddie Vaughn and we talked on the phone regularly but I haven't talked to him in months. Last time I went to Hawthorne Audio the Carina wasn't available in the shopping cart. I don't know if he even sells it anymore.

Corey

WWW   IP Logged
Jason

Reply #84 - 09/12/07 at 22:43:44

Randy in Caintuck wrote on 09/12/07 at 22:09:32:
As has been mentioned several times in this thread ..... personal taste is the real issue.

It has been my experience that a good number of folks have been conditioned by the over-emphasized bass that dominates popular music.

Randy

Very true, Randy.  My audio systems have always had fairly flat frequency responses.  The bass is there, but not overpowering.  You miss it if it's rolled off, but its never the dominant feature.   Besides, there's not much below 40hz unless it's artificially introduced.

Jason

IP Logged
Jason

Reply #85 - 09/12/07 at 22:49:41

buzz wrote on 09/12/07 at 21:34:32:
Lets get to the point then and be brutally honest... I have not heard any SE amp that was up to task in the bass department. I mean bass so tight, so real that nausea is an issue.

buzz

Tight realistic bass should make you want to listen to it all night, not make you puke.

Did I miss something?

Jason

IP Logged
morpheous85
Ex Member

Reply #86 - 09/12/07 at 23:18:25

"The central research theme of Dr. Vladimir Gavreau was the development of remote controlled automatons and robotic devices. To this end he assembled a group of scientists in 1957."

"Housed in a large concrete building, the entire group periodically experienced a disconcerting nausea which flooded the research facility."

"The source was finally traced by building engineers to an improperly installed motor-driven ventilator."

"It was found that a low intensity pitch of a fundamental 7 cycles per second was being produced.  It became obvious that the slow vibrating motor was activating an infrasonic resonant mode in the large concrete duct. Operating as the vibrating "tongue" of an immense "organ pipe", the rattling motor produced nauseating infrasound."

-- Quotes taken from http://www.borderlands.com/archives/arch/gavreaus.htm

That's bass that makes you puke!

Jason

IP Logged
buzz
Ex Member

Reply #87 - 09/13/07 at 00:05:44

Jason wrote on 09/12/07 at 22:49:41:
Tight realistic bass should make you want to listen to it all night, not make you puke.

Did I miss something?

Jason

It is an interesting phenomenon, no pain is involved, and no other warnings signs of too high of volume, just nausea. The incredible realistic bass is addictive so perhaps I am listening at too high a volume, but I don't think so. Yes, it does occur more often with music with electronic bass, but not exclusively. I knew I shouldn't have mentioned this.  ::) It makes no sense unless you have experienced it. Effects of frequencies as high as 100hz have been documented.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3912/is_200702/ai_n18632410/pg_3

IP Logged
abluesky
Ex Member

Reply #88 - 09/13/07 at 23:14:14

SE84ZSM
120/240 volt Zen Triode Monoblocks (pr)
$2095.00

It seems my mouse is going into autopilot towards the master catalog page........help help......I can't stop......

C Evans

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #89 - 09/14/07 at 00:04:28

Well someone beet me to it..  [smiley=10.gif]  

I've finally calculated the price on these and it comes out to about 2250.00 for the pair so I'm going to sell the first 10 for 2095.00 pr.  I have added it to the master catalog but not yet to the web site.  That may not happen until after the Decfest07.  The master catalog can be found at this link:  https://www.decware.com/newsite/mastercatalog.htm

Thanks,

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Dirty_Dawg
Ex Member

Reply #90 - 09/14/07 at 05:19:43

buzz wrote on 09/13/07 at 00:05:44:
It is an interesting phenomenon, no pain is involved, and no other warnings signs of too high of volume, just nausea. The incredible realistic bass is addictive so perhaps I am listening at too high a volume, but I don't think so. Yes, it does occur more often with music with electronic bass, but not exclusively. I knew I shouldn't have mentioned this.  ::) It makes no sense unless you have experienced it. Effects of frequencies as high as 100hz have been documented.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3912/is_200702/ai_n18632410/pg_3

I don't think anyone is referring to infrasonics in reference to music, are they?

You should be safe from nausea at normal listening volumes, even if you are sensitive to higher bass frequencies.

IP Logged
Terry
Ex Member

Reply #91 - 09/14/07 at 06:05:20

All I can say about this whole transformer thing is that I like what I hear, and have added subwoofers, biamped, super efficient large 30" woofers, and it just doesn't add much to the music for me.  I guess I just am not into bass that much, but I am still playing around.  Intraman on this forum was going to try an interesting infinite baffle subwoofer with the Select, haven't heard any resulting feedback yet.

I can't wait to hear them, I hope Steve has a regular Select handy to compare at the Zenfest.

TG

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #92 - 09/14/07 at 16:52:12

Corey wrote on 09/12/07 at 19:29:35:
Enter the next step into an SET amp: large iron. Is large iron a trade off in sound? Not if you go with the good stuff. The trade off is cost and space. You can't sell an amp to broke audiophiles using expensive iron and you can't tuck that iron inside your amp making everything look all clean, petite and pretty. Amen?

In my experience large iron favors bass performance at the expense of some magic in the upper ranges. This would hold true with any type of transformer regardless of cost. So I have to respectfully disagree with this statement.

Quote:
That leaves myself and the thousands of others owning full range cabinets with the option to spend more money and enjoy the attack and authority that only expensive, large wound transformers can produce. This means getting in touch with someone who CAN build you an exceptional sounding, one-off custom amp and it also means starting at around $2000. If I am going to be spending $2000 on amplification, I certainly am not going to limit my low end response with Decware iron. Scrabble wound, monopoly wound, call it what you like. The low end pressure is severely lacking compared to what's available.

Am I making many friends with this post? Most likely not. Am I against Decware? Not at all, but when I think of the name, I think of speakers.

Corey

Well I appreciate your enthusiasm for your findings but it is after all largely your opinion - results will vary for other people. Those with speakers that have real bass to begin with... and or those who would place more priority on the overall signature of an amp than visceral bass, for example.

In any case Decware is proudly known for it's amplifiers and will continue to be regardless of the fact that when you think of the name, you think of speakers.  You really have to wonder why a guy would make a statement like that in the very thread I used to announce our best SET amp ever...

Just out of curiosity I'd like to know why it was so important for you to get involved in this thread to begin with?  I'm sorry you tried to alter the design of your Decware SE34I and failed.  If you wanted that SET sound with superior bass performance you should have just got a TORII.  I don't care how much money you spend on iron for an SET, it will never have the bass performance of push-pull.  

For the record I know and like Eddy too.  I think his amps are great.  Hopefully I don't have customers over there in his forums trying to explain why Decware amps are so superior... that would be rather embarrassing.  Especially in a thread where he announces his latest new amplifier.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
musgofasa
Seasoned Member

Where is that
monkey? I want to
shoot something!

Reply #93 - 09/14/07 at 17:43:24

Hi Steve,

I was just telling Bob how sorry I am that I won't be able to come to Decfest with him. I would dearly love to hear these amps. It looks like budget may allow me to make a major audio purchase sometime near the end of the year so I am looking forward to hearing reviews before I make that move.

I have heard the TorII and I love the sound. I have also heard a SE34I.2 with some tube rolling and I have to admit, I was very taken with it as well. Add that to a Taboo, and an Eddie Vaughn amp and I have to admit, I like the Decware signature sound. Although each amp has it's own characteristics, they all seem to have something in common.

For the record, I am in the process of building several experiments. A couple of these include the Fostex FE126E drivers and there is a very distinct possibility that I will be building a set of corner horns and ordering your new drivers to put in them.

Considering those drivers and the fact that for general listening, I am not looking to make myself sick, do you think these amps would be a better choice than the TorII?

I will likely be running a seperate subwoofer for those times when I feel like pounding the walls, but generally, I will just be running the stereo pair of corner horns for listening enjoyment. I think the TorII may be overkill, but then I am thinking the same of the Monos to be honest. I was very seriously considering the SE34I.2 (the $1495 price tag is rather playing a part in that as well).

Just wondering if you thought the new amps would be more suitable, especially considering my tendency towards speaker swapping all the time. And the fact that my music tastes are rather eclectic.

Either way, these are super sexy and I can't wait to audition them somewhere, sometime!

Take care,
Robert

The graveyard is full of important men
musgofasa   IP Logged
morpheous85
Ex Member

Reply #94 - 09/14/07 at 21:21:52

Now if only this thread https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1189017032 got this much attention! I'm still very excited! What's the cost of the ZPOD Steve????

Jason

IP Logged
giorgino
Ex Member

Reply #95 - 09/15/07 at 12:03:24

Quote:
For the record I know and like Eddy too.  I think his amps are great.  Hopefully I don't have customers over there in his forums trying to explain why Decware amps are so superior... that would be rather embarrassing.  Especially in a thread where he announces his latest new amplifier.

I think Eddie would be just as embarrassed to learn that this level of evangelical zeal was being preached in his name. For what it's worth Steve, I'm sorry. Smiley
We all know Eddie and have witnessed examples of his integrity. When he decided to go into business building amplifiers, he immediately took himself off the Decware forum to avoid conflicts of interest. Steve was also gracious in wishing him well in his venture. It's easy to forget that in terms of hi-fi philosophy, the two people are much more similar than different. There's sufficient room in the market for both brands to exist without the need to denigrate either. Unfortunately, some people seem to have lost perspective on this matter.

IP Logged
paulc
Ex Member

Reply #96 - 09/15/07 at 12:31:29

Well said, both Steve and Giorgino!

I look forward to listening to these new amps real soon.

IP Logged
Eli Duttman
Ex Member

Reply #97 - 09/15/07 at 14:13:35

giorgino wrote on 09/15/07 at 12:03:24:
I think Eddie would be just as embarrassed to learn that this level of evangelical zeal was being preached in his name. For what it's worth Steve, I'm sorry. Smiley
We all know Eddie and have witnessed examples of his integrity. When he decided to go into business building amplifiers, he immediately took himself off the Decware forum to avoid conflicts of interest. Steve was also gracious in wishing him well in his venture. It's easy to forget that in terms of hi-fi philosophy, the two people are much more similar than different. There's sufficient room in the market for both brands to exist without the need to denigrate either. Unfortunately, some people seem to have lost perspective on this matter.

Hear, hear!!

There's always room in the marketplace for 1 of the folks who gives a damn.  One size does NOT fit all.

IP Logged
Dirty_Dawg
Ex Member

Reply #98 - 09/15/07 at 14:42:23

giorgino wrote on 09/15/07 at 12:03:24:

Even as much as I avoid agreeing with anyone on anything, I have to whole-hearted agree with you, here.

I honestly don't understand what Corey is trying to do with his wide-brush statements, but his credibility is taking a hit.

IP Logged
MikeW
Ex Member

Reply #99 - 09/15/07 at 16:43:56

Corey has his opinions and makes valid points in some of his arguments. They can be agreed with or disagreed with. But I believe Steve hit the nail on the head. This thread was about Steve's new amp and to spur excitement from the community that is interested in them and may indeed even buy a pair of them. I am quite sure Steve shared this with the forum folks because he is quite proud of what he believes is the best work he has done. Bottom line, Corey...right or wrong, showed poor taste in using this thread to express his opinions.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print