Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/26/24 at 10:31:19 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Another "Wicked One-Half" topic (Read 9225 times)
Pete
Ex Member

Another "Wicked One-Half" topic
04/15/08 at 10:32:59

Hey guys, couldn't sleep, so I thought I'd do a little tinkering.

I do some DJ work here and there, and for subs I use a pretty straight forward ported enclosure that houses two 12" subs. I'm always looking for ways to improve my setup, so I've been seriously thinking about building a WO. The problem is, the trailer I use to haul my equipment is VERY small (40"x52"x ~25" enclosed), and with my other gear, a typical WO (even the 24x36) wouldn't fit. So, I started thinking. If I could build two Wicked One-Halves scaled up to fit my 12" subs, I could fit one in the trailer and the other in the back of the suv. But from what I've read, you can't just bisect a WO and call it done, you have to leave the horn the same dimensions. So, here's a stab at my design. Yes indeed, ripped directly off of the main WO page, slightly photoshopped.

Will two of these provide me with the same spectacular output as one traditional WO would? Thanks guys!

IP Logged
Bart_West-VL.
Ex Member

Re: Another "Wicked One-Half" topic
Reply #1 - 04/15/08 at 17:24:19

Hi Pete,

It will work but it will be -3dB.
Of course, if you build two, it would be the same as if you would build on original WO.

Good luck and please take some pictures.

B.

Here is a good thread for you:
https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1186391559

IP Logged
aznboi3644
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/18/08 at 06:13:44

I've always wanted to build a half wicked one for my EHQS 12 to see how it would perform

IP Logged
60_and_up
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/18/08 at 18:44:04

Pete O Day wrote on 04/15/08 at 10:32:59:
Hey guys, couldn't sleep, so I thought I'd do a little tinkering.

I do some DJ work here and there, and for subs I use a pretty straight forward ported enclosure that houses two 12" subs. I'm always looking for ways to improve my setup, so I've been seriously thinking about building a WO. The problem is, the trailer I use to haul my equipment is VERY small (40"x52"x ~25" enclosed), and with my other gear, a typical WO (even the 24x36) wouldn't fit. So, I started thinking. If I could build two Wicked One-Halves scaled up to fit my 12" subs, I could fit one in the trailer and the other in the back of the suv. But from what I've read, you can't just bisect a WO and call it done, you have to leave the horn the same dimensions. So, here's a stab at my design. Yes indeed, ripped directly off of the main WO page, slightly photoshopped.
http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/2324/wickedonehalfhd2.jpg
Will two of these provide me with the same spectacular output as one traditional WO would? Thanks guys!

my thinking is the flare at the end is to accomadate the output from 2 x drivers, so i wonder if  the last section of the flare of the horn needs to be reduced by half?

IP Logged
Adrian
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/30/08 at 18:38:01

That picture is just what I was thinking of doing if I ever need 1/2 wicked one.

According to my logic : considering it's a horn, one would need to keep the same throat area and expansion rate  :-/

IP Logged
Slisgrinder
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 09/04/09 at 05:51:57

i realize that this thread is old, but what about increasing the area of the horn by a quarter of the original horn (the horn of an entire WO)?

IP Logged
THE dawg
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 09/14/09 at 22:39:04

Uhm, HI, 60!  Long time, no see.

I think when you only use one half of the outer dimensions, you have effectively cut the mouth to something similar to one half.
I thinkyour concerns have been met.

You and I should go, right now(!!!) and try one. Then check back.

(I have been wanting to do one, anyway!  I have two twelve inch mis-matched drivers with which I simply MUST do "something."   LoL!)

IP Logged
Alan B.
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 10/22/09 at 21:41:13

the way i read it, you dont vut the mouth in half.
the mouth should be that big for each horn,
the whole idea behind the WO is that you can fit 2 horns in a smaller space by them sharing part of the throat between them.

this doesnt mean cutting the throat in half for one speaker, it means that your 2 throats overlap to save space, thats all. you stil need the same size throat.

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 12/02/09 at 00:30:14

Well, 60, since you have not yet responded, I plan to build a "WO One Half," soon.

I have acquired a number of tens to try in this set-up.

Almost forgot to mention ...

... some free wood (MDF) as well.

IP Logged
jay.jghs83
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 04/25/10 at 12:51:12

this is a realy interseting theory and would like to have a go a building one my self. ive recentley fininshed a dual WO and im really impressed but its HUGE!!!

so a single could be the way forward. keep us posted on the build and good luck.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print