Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 16:19:00 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ohms Ohms Ohms for the poor!! (Read 5234 times)
Hellion DarkLord
Seasoned Member

Ohms Ohms Ohms for the poor!!
04/15/08 at 02:59:45

I have a very simple question which many of you may think is funny, but I have not a clue about.

I recently reverse engineered an accurian wireless rear speaker set and caused it to no longer be wireless.  THe question that I have is whether or not I should be adding ohms to my poor highly abused JVC receiver when hooking up these active speakers.  My JVC needs 8 to 16 ohms, and I am unsure whether or not the active speakers will provide that much impedance.

THanks for any input.

Hellion

IP Logged
Bart_West-VL.
Ex Member

Re: Ohms Ohms Ohms for the poor!!
Reply #1 - 04/15/08 at 17:20:24

use the 'audio out' cinch plugs from your receiver if there is an input provided on the rear speaker set.
Otherwise you'll have to open the speakers, so you can wire directly to the drivers after unhooking the original wires.
If you don't have basic understanding about this, maybe leave it to someone else.
Or you can post pictures of the back of you're speaker set so we can have a look at the possibilities first, before you rip them open. Smiley

IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #2 - 04/16/08 at 15:44:48

The only reason that I can think of where you would need to add ohms would be when your speakers were very low impedance, like less that 4 ohms.  In your case, with active speakers, your speaker load is probably quite high, like over 100 ohms and possibly even a lot higher.  Your JVC specs of 8 or 16 ohms is a minimum ohms value that the amp can safely drive.  A higher ohms load will not damage the unit.  Your problem with active speakers might be that the speaker level output from the JVC might be too high a level of output.  If this is the case you might want to try a line out level, preferably one that varies with the volume control (headphone output?).

Dan

IP Logged
Hellion DarkLord
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 04/18/08 at 22:30:14

OKay thank you you have answered my question, I really should have asked what kind of ohms were present when driving an active speaker set.  I already broke the speakers open, and reverse engineered the internal amp and wireless receiver so I could wire in the speakers and not have to spend any money on the wireless transmitter.  

All is working quite well thank you, the volume dial on the speaker set is able to tone it down enough.

Another mod which I haven't had time to do yet is to change out the two crappy 4556 opamps in the amplifier. I would think that changing these to a better dual like the 5532 would make the amp sound a lot better.

THough I'm not sure where to get them.

Thanks for the info!

HD

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print