Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/20/24 at 03:34:47 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
BURN-IN :  A Myth or  A Must ??? (Read 9049 times)
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

BURN-IN :  A Myth or  A Must ???
03/08/08 at 12:52:37

Just wanted to make sure I would get everyone's opinion so I posted this subject in both forums.

I was unsure of where to post but I am very curious to hear opinions on the subject. I have been told that speakers change there specs the longer they play until a proper burn-in time has been allowed. Is the burn-in time different for different speakers or is there an all around standard time that most will adhere to. I have been told 80 to 100 hours should be enough to break in any speaker or subwoofer. If anyone has an opinion on this subject please post it. I would like to hear all the different myths, legends, and folklore behind this process.

HT-EXT

links:

http://www.vikash.info/audio/audax/
This test seems a little harsh !!!

http://www.matrix-hifi.com/ENG_contenedor_rodajealtavoces.htm
You will find this link very interesting.

http://www.gr-research.com/burnin.shtm  

" I TRY TO THINK BUT NUT'EN HAPPENS! " CURLY
  IP Logged
Bart_West-VL.
Ex Member

Re: BURN-IN :  A Myth or  A Must ???
Reply #1 - 03/08/08 at 18:11:39

I didn't look at your links, but this is what I believe:
Woofers are stiff and have to move a lot, so it's plausible that the material will become more flexible by flexing it a long time, just like leather for example, but to a much lesser degree.
Other, small drivers are less effected. Tweeters (almost?) not at all.

Sweeping the woofer from f3 to about 100hz, at half the RMS power, should loosen it all up in about 10 hours.
But the neighbors might go crazy and you might too.
Use two woofers, place them in front of each other and connect one of them out of phase, you won't hear much, if anything, anymore.
If you have only one, then get it out of the enclosure and do the sweep.
Not a lot to hear at the neighbors either.

Or just let it play and enjoy the music! Wink

Bart.

IP Logged
musgofasa
Seasoned Member

Where is that
monkey? I want to
shoot something!

Reply #2 - 03/08/08 at 20:30:59

Actually I would almost say the opposite from experience. Woofers with high excursion may need to "break in" a while before really throwing the low freqs at them if you are worried about the suspension, but smaller speakers seem to benefit more from "burn in".

From what I have seen, the smaller speakers with low excursion will take a lot longer to burn in simply because they don't flex much. The thing is if you keep listening to them, you will here them start to "warm up". I think that is just a product of their suspension and material getting adapted to use. This seems to be especially true of high end "full range" drivers like Fostex.

I would say the average "break in time" for subwoofers is somewhere in the 2 to 3 hour range, but for those little drivers it could more like 200 hours depending on use and driver specifics.

What I don't know if is the "break in" appreciably changes T/S params. Something tells me it may make a very slight difference, but not much.

Take care,
Robert

The graveyard is full of important men
musgofasa   IP Logged
Bart_West-VL.
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/08/08 at 21:37:56

The break-in for small drivers and the long break-in time is in your ears I'm afraid, you get accustomed to them.
If there is a change, then that will be visible in the T&S parameters.
So far I have only seen such changes in woofers.
And even that is not always audible.

Bart

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Reply #4 - 03/08/08 at 23:00:58

THANKS, for the replies.

I really like the fact there are difference between opinions. I have notice a change in my home built center channel from day one. I set the EQ fairly flat to start with and let it play for about week with about 20hrs. burn-in. Done the set up and everything was amazingly off by a long shot. Set it flat again, waited a week and done a another test. Again, off from flat but not as bad as the first time. Now after four months it seems to be leveling out. As for subwoofers I have notice improvements almost immediately but they seem to need at least 80/100hrs before they settle in. I like to start out slow for about 10hrs with around 3 to 4 watts of output and usually playing some type of music during this time. I gradually increase the power as the hours count down. This procedure applies to all my speakers big or small. If anyone has their own procedure please post it.

HT-EXT

IP Logged
60_and_up
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/09/08 at 16:23:40

pics of your new wo4ho sub ht?

tired any other locations but behind the captains chair?

i have a new ht sub also

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31369

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Reply #6 - 03/10/08 at 13:05:53

What up 60 ???

Nice sub dude. It blends so well with the surrounds it hard to see at first. Always good idea with the stealth look but my new sub sticks out like a sore thumb. I have some pics but got busy or should I say "into the build" and forgot to take any final assembly pics. I  now have a sub with 10"s that hits hard and fast but can be heard far away like 15"s.

What is your opinion on the BURN-IN subject? Do you think all speakers need some or just a choosen few? How long has it took for your latest enclosure to become pleasing to the ears?

HT-EXT    

IP Logged
60_and_up
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 03/11/08 at 01:24:18

im no expert, but id say burn in effects tweeters more than subs. put 300 watts on a sub its going to move some air, if the box is good, it should sound good immediately.

my guess is in order of burn in importance

tweeters, midrange, subs.

my tube sub sounds excellent, and it did first time i connected it.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #8 - 03/16/08 at 17:51:49

i really have to chime in here since i feel that the hdt spkrs that i made only a few montha ago were less and more than i expected. less bass, and way too much treble energy in the 3k range. i was patient, but wondered if things would ever change. now, it is correct to some degree that we do get used to the sound of our equipment in time, whether with a placebo effect, or maybe we become a little tone deaf to some of the annoying frequencies, he he. even pride of building something ourselves carries a certain prejudice. but, the mechanical nature of the speaker surrounds themselves breaking in, as it were, do have an audible effect. i know this just by what was almost an unbearable peak to me became much less noticible, and the bass response seemed to need less and less subwoofer input. i couldnt be more appreciative, since the hdt spkrs had so many benefits that i like in the first place.
to tak the subject a little futher, i am not one who believes that there are as great of differences, if any, in the breaking in of cable, and even some electronics. ok, i'm done here, whew!    greg

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print