Send Topic Print
ZEN HEAD now shipping! (Read 425 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

ZEN HEAD now shipping!
02/29/08 at 19:21:45

If you recall back in October I gave a sneak peak at the protoype Decware personal headphone amplifier.

Well received, but it had issues driving certain headphones and I really wanted it to work well with almost anything.  Turns out the capacitance vs frequency of some phones, or even the phone cords created a condition where the voltage rails would become unbalanced leading to premature clipping.  Even though this only seemed to happen on 2 sets of phones - I've only tried it on 20 different pairs so to me that's a potential incompatibility factor of 10%.

I redesigned the power supply portion of the circuit to include regulation from the 120+ miliamp BUF634P buffer chip by Burr Brown which turns out to be almost impossible to find.  (Lead times on this chip are running 28 weeks.  Meanwhile you can pay up to $45.00 each for them from you favorite parts brokers.)  

This had the desired effect in keeping the rails steady under adverse conditions and dropped the current draw significantly since the virtual ground reference is now 10 times it's prior value.  So battery life is likely to improve beyond the 50 hours it had been.

Probably not so surprising is that it also improved the fidelity by an obvious amount.

Anyway, here is the final result, and I've renamed it ZEN HEAD for Zen Headphone amplifier  

And the link:  https://www.decware.com/newsite/zenhead.htm

We hope you like it!

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
paulc
Ex Member

Re: ZEN HEAD now shipping!
Reply #1 - 03/01/08 at 18:12:27

Well that's it, no gold volume knob, I'm not buyin' one!

Kidding, of course. Smiley

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 03/01/08 at 20:24:44

What does Microsoft have to do with iPod?

Glad it's coming out, best of luck!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Eli Duttman
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/01/08 at 20:36:30

Quote:
Probably not so surprising is that it also improved the fidelity by an obvious amount.

Steve,

Shocking.  NOT!!   Smiley  A high quality PSU is the granite slab upon which all satisfactory audio gear is built.

Good luck with this little "fellow".

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #4 - 03/02/08 at 04:51:31

Lon wrote on 03/01/08 at 20:24:44:
What does Microsoft have to do with iPod?

Glad it's coming out, best of luck!

Good point - see the microsoft saturation index is so high it effected my apple neurons!  I deleted that sentence from the post.

Steve Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print