Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 13:32:43 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Unbelievable sounding synergy with HDT's (Read 11463 times)
Jason

Unbelievable sounding synergy with HDT's
02/17/08 at 18:05:08

For those of you have (or had)  HDT's and weren't quite satisfied with them - News flash:  It's not the speakers fault.
When I first built the HDT's There were certainly some things about them that I didn't like, and of course I initially blamed the speakers.  They are ruthlessly revealing and a bit 'hot' on the upper frequencies.  Well, I found the cure for both of these things.  First, enter the Torii MK II.  The upper frequency trim on this amp makes it a perfect for these speakers.   They certainly don't need the power that this amp offers but the ability to taylor the frequency response makes it well worth it.  Sometimes one of those 'ghastly tone controls' is just the icing on the cake.   Wink

HDT's are very revealing, garbage and all.  Well, that's an easy fix too.  It's your source.   Enter the new ZCD tascam.  It fixes everything else.
A few comments from other HDT's owners include things like, they don't don't make quite enough bass, you still have have a sub.  They are too forward sounding.   They don't image unless set up perfectly.  They are hard to listen to except on really good recordings....  etc.
Well, the ZCD fixes every one of these complaints.  For those of you wondering about the new decware player:  All I can say is that it will impress you.  Teaming it in front of the Torii Mk II makes the HDT's really wake up.
the first thing I did was turn the sub off.  It was adding a bit of fill 50hz down...  but it can go now.  
Imaging is to die for, not only on really good recordings, but most everything else too.   No more picking certain tracks just to get that 'special' sound.  It's there all the time (well, except for the REALLY bad recordings).

I could quite easily dump the rest of my gear and listen to this combination from now on.  It really is that good.

Jason

IP Logged
musgofasa
Seasoned Member

Where is that
monkey? I want to
shoot something!

Re: Unbelievable sounding synergy with HDT's
Reply #1 - 02/18/08 at 17:33:10

That's great news jason!
And with a third (or thirtieth) review praising the HDTs, I am looking forward to getting started on my set soon.
I take it you have the single driver version with the Decware modded drivers?
I am looking at the second version with the Sliver Flute drivers. I am wondering if it may be more forgiving of things upstream than the Fostex driver. I can't wait to get them fired up though.

Congrats on getting something working so well. Also congrats on the All Decware system! I could only wish to be that far along at this point! LOL

Take care,
Robert

The graveyard is full of important men
musgofasa   IP Logged
Jason

Reply #2 - 02/19/08 at 01:56:34

First version Decware driver plus the foam with 'alternate' (now standard I think) tuning.  Other than the latest phase plug, they are basically the DFR8's.   The only thing bad I'd have to say about them is they take FOREVER to loosen up, like years if you don't play them every day!  :-)

J

IP Logged
Young_SC
Seasoned Member

I love Decware 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 02/20/08 at 09:02:59

Hi Jason,

I have to say I went through the same experience.

Instead of the Decware player, my Monica DAC provides a smoother source than my Marantz player.

I think I'll go and turn my system on now Smiley

Simon

Marantz CD 63KI (modded)
Monica 2 DAC with I/V output stage
ZBox
Decware SE84CEX
Homebuilt HDT's with doughnuts
Enamelled copper wire IC's with Eichmann plugs
Enamelled copper wire speaker cables
Young_SC   IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #4 - 03/11/08 at 04:41:08

AGAIN, all things must work together to produce the sound we desire. that may also mean that the sound we desire is like what sounds terrible to anyone else. be prepared for that reaction, or lack thereof.
i have found only recently that the speaker cable and the cd player that i was using, did not please me as i thought they should. it all made sense as far as consumer logic implied(spend more, get more). but the fact remained that the hdt speakers that i had purchased were too bright and unforgiving in many excellent recordings that i had listened to!  god, now what dod i do? the spkrs reveal all that i wanted and more. but more was expelling my taste for some music! good, and bad together. three things were at work here to my detrement; the spkrs weren't broken in, the old cd player needed work, and the spkr cable was not in 'harmony' with the needs of the system. i took a new plunge and bought mapleshades'  85.00 recipe for cable; then i bought a new cd player, the apollo by rega. yah, i know, i havent really had time to listen thoroughly to it all, but, you know when  RIGHT IS RIGHT. after 38 yrs. listening to many various pieces of equipment and music, i must admit that i have rarely been happier than i am right now. the point is, dont give up.     regards,   greg

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #5 - 03/15/08 at 03:08:22

jason, i do have a question about the passive radiators(alt tuning). did they seem to have a rattle in them? the ones that i ordered all do, probably from a mass increase for loading, but would be wrong since they would 'play' at certain freq. with the music.   greg

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Jason

Reply #6 - 03/15/08 at 15:15:07

4krow wrote on 03/15/08 at 03:08:22:
jason, i do have a question about the passive radiators(alt tuning). did they seem to have a rattle in them? the ones that i ordered all do, probably from a mass increase for loading, but would be wrong since they would 'play' at certain freq. with the music.   greg

No, the passives don't rattle at all.  I've sine sweeped them and driven them pretty hard with some SS to break them in and have never had any issue.    I do believe the alt passive's have a washer or something glued in them for a bit more weight.  Perhaps something's come loose?  Or something is touching them like the foam inside?

J

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print