Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/26/24 at 13:24:07 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Build an SET amp for $300? (Read 8787 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Build an SET amp for $300?
02/17/08 at 01:50:33

No doubt those interested in building an inexpensive tube amp have plenty to choose from, but limited by the quality of the iron these kits can only sound so good...

I have figured out a way for the sincere but broke audiophile / kit builder to have a Zen Triode amp for less than $300.00  And it should be foolproof and easy enough to build that even first time builders can succeed without problems.

Here is a link to the kit: https://www.decware.com/newsite/SE84CDIY.htm

I am announcing the kit here in the forum for a week or so prior to linking it to the web site so that those of you wanting to try one won't have a long wait while we try to restock parts.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Re: Build an SET amp for $300?
Reply #1 - 02/17/08 at 02:48:24

Congrats on these Steve! Anybody contemplating the leap into tubes/DIY is sure to be very happy with these! 2 mono's for 600 bucks! Lots of room for different chassis too Smiley
Well done!
                                                                                                                      Don

Decware, Rega, Heybrook/Linn/Ortofon
Goertz/Wireworld/cat-5/MarkAudio Alpair 10.2 drivers
(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
NHT SB3’s
  IP Logged
veryoldcat
Seasoned Member

dam*ed if you do,
and dam*ed if you
don't

Reply #2 - 02/17/08 at 04:01:24

I've a friend or two I hope to push into this kit.

Really really nice.

Karl

SE84CS (vcapped), CSP, zbox, Dec685, ZP 1.0, Sota tt/Well-Tempered Arm/V15XMR, Parker 98's, Parker Audio *Power Chords*, cat 6 wires, OSX; a garage sale of other stuff...
  IP Logged
Bugman
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 02/17/08 at 05:24:06

Steve

The spec sheets on the Decware Zen and the set kit are very simular. The small differences being, the circut board as opposed to point to point wireing, the rectifier tube,  the signal cap, the power cord, and the warrenty.

It would appear the two amps are very simular in sound, would you agree or disagree ?

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #4 - 02/18/08 at 00:12:38

Bugman wrote on 02/17/08 at 05:24:06:
Steve

The spec sheets on the Decware Zen and the set kit are very simular. The small differences being, the circut board as opposed to point to point wireing, the rectifier tube,  the signal cap, the power cord, and the warrenty.

It would appear the two amps are very simular in sound, would you agree or disagree ?

Yes, this is the second week I've been listening to them and they sound like an SE84C.  The differences between the two are mostly attributed to the rectification.  The SE84C has a slightly smoother signature with a bit more graceful clipping.  The SE84CDIY seems a little more neutral, slightly tighter, slightly faster.  

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
chrisby
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 02/18/08 at 22:10:05

While it wouldn't be as easy as rolling rectifier tubes, which can affect to the sound as much output types, the curious could try different types of  rectifier diodes.   They don't all sound the same.  

Too bad this kit wasn't available a couple of years ago  :'(  

Next up a phono pre-amp kit?

Dec-kits  - that's got a cool ring.

not so easy, this giving it up thing ...
  IP Logged
Bugman
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 02/19/08 at 15:56:19

Thanks for the prompt answer Steve.

A couple more questions if I may.

I know you have made a point of letting it be known that the Select prefers a 2 or 4 ohm load. When the Zen Select in in bridge mode, does that load preference change any ?

And, is changing the load the amps sees as easy as doubling speaker pairs of the same drivers ?

Thanks again.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #7 - 02/19/08 at 22:58:44

When the Zen is bridged each channel sees 1/2 of the total load, so a 4 ohm speaker would look like a pair of 2 ohm speakers to the amp.

Of course you could show a bridged zen the same 2 ohms per channel by running a pair of 8 ohm speakers in parallel on each side, meaning a total of 4-8ohm speakers per amp.  This would be 3dB louder than the first example.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
scott_m
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 02/20/08 at 01:37:00

Doesn't the circuit board negate the benefits of the original Select's point-to-point wiring?  That was a big selling point on the original select if I recall.  I'm also scared by the pcb and the transformers bolted to a chunk of wood.  Is there a simple metal box you can source to at least keep things safe?  

(...and if there is, can you make a similar kit for the Tori? Smiley)

My two cents.

Scott.

IP Logged
musgofasa
Seasoned Member

Where is that
monkey? I want to
shoot something!

Reply #9 - 02/20/08 at 17:53:10

I was wondering that myself Scott,

I would love to build an SET amp just to be able to say I did it, but I would much rather do PTP wiring than circuit board soldering. I just don't like working on boards.

I might do this one, though so I can have a decware amp without spending the moolah on a pre-built one.

I wonder if there will be a kit for the SE34I? I am still considering that amp just because I like it lol. (I will have a Tori one day one way or another, lol)

Take care,
Robert

The graveyard is full of important men
musgofasa   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print