Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 21:18:19 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
is this design correct? (Read 8428 times)
brian84corvette
Ex Member

is this design correct?
12/17/07 at 21:01:20

I have a 84 vette,  and the rear hatch back area is verry small.   it measures around 32" by 28" or so.

I wanted to make a 1/2 a wicked one to put back there.    I have just finished a death box and put it back there,   and it is a good sound,   but not exactly what I was looking for.

so I real quick drew this up to ask if this is the right way about making a 1/2 of a wicked one from the 36" by 24" design - by cutting out the ither part it would measure around 24" by 22"  and keep same height. - and there for fit in the back of my car.

this is the same thing but using the 36" by 36" wicked one design in 1/2

but I think its final demensions will not fit in my car  :-/   it should measure 26" by 36"

is this the right way to split a wicked one?   it keeps the same inner air path as the full  one I think.

IP Logged
60_and_up
Ex Member

Re: is this design correct?
Reply #1 - 12/17/07 at 21:07:56

your db looks good, what dont you like about the way it sounds?

you seem very able to scale a design, you can probably keep working on the half wo until it fits.

but im pretty sure you can make that db satisfy.

have you tried aiming the half moon opening towards the rear of the vehicle?

almost all subwoofers sound better aiming towards the rear of a vehicle.

IP Logged
brian84corvette
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 12/17/07 at 22:10:59

I truthfully think its my crappy driver.   a sub you can get from walmart that costs 45$ probly wont sound good even if its in the best box.    -  dont get me wrong,  the db sounds great compared to the 12" in a bass tube I had before,     but there is a range that it "breaks up" when I listen to my music loud.     it could also be my amp.   I have a kicker 350 by 4 channel amp running the db on 2 channels crossed - the amp papers tell me that its putting 160 wats to the db like that.   im thinking thats not enough power.  - the other 2 channels of my amp are running my rear 6by9's

im going to try and hook up my other amp with some jumpers on the imput line and power my db with the 600 wat amp and see how it does.

I was pondering the wicked one design because I like the way it looks.
simple eazy and already done math for good sound.    

I have a 84 corvette,  and the rear section is rather small,   to complicate things I have to put the top back there when its off,   so im limited on height and space.        in a ideal situation for the top to go back there,  I would need a box that is 10.5" high by 32" wide and 17.5" long  - so I can still get to my cargo storage areas.

in made up a design of a wicked one that uses two 8" subs   and its a bit out of the range of 36" by 24"
because I wanted to still have axess to my storage bins.
here is a pic.    let me know what you think of this scalled down design.

IP Logged
brian84corvette
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 12/17/07 at 22:12:16

and here is a look at the space I have to work with
notice the storage bins up by the seats,

IP Logged
60_and_up
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 12/17/07 at 22:24:35

you need to decide whats more important to you,

great bass? cheap speakers? storage bin access?

you cant have em all.

IP Logged
brian84corvette
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 12/18/07 at 00:04:12

I just got back in from "testing" my db.    you are right   with the moon port facing rearwards I get more of a "ground shaking" pump from it.     and I did find the position I liked its sound best.
dont get me wrong,   it sounds great.   its tight and puchy.     my volume range on my stereo goes from 0 to 34,    and it sounds nice and crisp up to about volume level 28  ( wich is seriously loud )
and im not shure whats breaking up more,  the highs above that level,  or the lows.   maby its a combo of them both starting to drownd out.       its hard to tell because my car is so severly small inside.

on a final note,   I have decided to go ahead and make my small version of the wicked one.
I have all the wood and materials at my disposal for free,  and id like to hear the diffrence between the 2 box designs,   and my bass tube.

I need to find a pair of 8" drivers for my box build
id like to spend around $80-140 ish on the pair.   does any one have any recomendations?

they will be going in a small sealed box ( W.O. only smaller )

and just so I know,   can some one tell me the pros and cons of speakers,
I know if it has a big magnet  its good for sealed boxes,   but how big is big enough?
and what makes some speakers good ,  and some like poo.
I have been searching ebay and found tons of diffrent speakers,  most of wich im shure are poo.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print