Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/20/24 at 12:53:48 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The Ultimate Wrecker - Update (Read 19779 times)
hesster
Ex Member

The Ultimate Wrecker - Update
09/21/07 at 01:54:16

Some more pics.  This thing is unbelieveable with DVDs.  Like Star Wars Phantom Menace with the racing scene cranked.  My friends are simply in disbelief - first when looking at it, then when you turn on the internal LED flashing light bars, but of course - when you play it loud.  It is UNBLELIEVELY clean, which is probably a result of building it like a bombshelter.
I also build cars - like this beauty in the last picture.

IP Logged
Bart_West-VL.
Ex Member

Re: The Ultimate Wrecker - Update
Reply #1 - 09/21/07 at 06:09:28

Very nice car! Is that scaled 1/8?
Or bigger?

For the HouseWrecker; I'm sure it plays lower than the normal version, because of the long ports in the bottom chamber, the tuning is maybe too low.
Did you calculate the frequency with these ports in it or did you meassure it?

Bart

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Reply #2 - 09/21/07 at 12:12:38

Bart,
       I can't say how "THE ULTIMATE" sounds or responds but I do have some info on my set up. Using two Series II Daytons with the magnets in the center chamber produced excellent results for my HWK. With the HWK15 in stock form the bottom ports usually peak in the 50Hz to 63Hz with 40 Hz not too far behind. After test after test with different port lengths I settled for set up that best filled in where my other subs have a hard time going. With the ports in place response shifted down from 50Hz/63Hz to 31Hz/40Hz/50Hz with the peak now at 40Hz. The top port also changed from peaking at 63Hz down to 50Hz peak. My goal was to use the HWK15 to supply 31Hz/40Hz at loud volumes with 50Hz starting to roll-off but also get away from the 63Hz roar. Yes I know that is what a crossover is for but it also helps to tune each enclosure to fit its environment. All testing and results were taken at a 3 foot(1 meter) set distance and power was limited to 250 watts max output. If you want more info let me know.

HT-EXT

" I TRY TO THINK BUT NUT'EN HAPPENS! " CURLY
  IP Logged
Bart_West-VL.
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 09/22/07 at 07:52:58

Yes please, more input! Smiley

It looks like the sound is better that way, lower is good for such a big box and for DVD-view.
Cross-over modules are sometimes needed of course, but can't cut the frequency off, just roll it down.
even at a setting of 50hz, there's allways sound way up there, just silent. If this can be reduced even further, that's a big bonus, so it doesn't mix with the main speakers, wich should only take care of the rest.
It IS interesting to read that the top port also lowerd the peak, just by changing the lower ports? :confused:
So, yes, I would like more info about the HWK and you're findings.
This is why I didn't start building it yet.
Well... one of the reasons anyway. Wink

Bart

IP Logged
Bart_West-VL.
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 09/28/07 at 06:17:59

HT-EXT, Can you please give more info?  :)

Bart

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Reply #5 - 09/28/07 at 12:31:33

I have tested a variety of port combinations in both the HWK10 and HWK15. Due to the ports being longer in the bottom it seems to me that the bottom chamber woofer is being loaded different and in turn affects the top chamber woofer, I THINK?. This is my opinion, I know the center chamber acts like an air spring so any changes to the lower chamber will affect the upper. The longer you make a port the lower the tuning will be, at least that is what my results showed. There are limitations to the length of the port and most of the time port fart will be the first sign. Flared ports will help but only so much. Another thing is in a bandpass enclosure you could be destorting the woofer and might not be able to tell. All these factors determine what length you will need to run with whatever speaker set up you decide to use. You need to understand that the way I tuned my HWK was for low power application(250w or less). For the high power PA amps this might not be suitable. Using these ports will limit the amount of air that can get out of the enclosure so this might not work for everyone. I would prolly go by the specs first and then if your not happy you could do the mod. I have two friends that are perfectly happy with the original design. I just have a hard time settling for a standard knowing I can change anything to fit my taste if I put my mind to it. If you have specfic questions please ask I will try to reply ASAP.

HT-EXT          

IP Logged
Bart_West-VL.
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 09/28/07 at 15:06:31

Thank you HT-EXT,

For the moment no questions, the house needs some work first.
I do have some info to think about now, it's allways good to wait a bit longer, more ideas get the chance to pop up this way.

Bart

IP Logged
Azul Shiva

Visit
www.ambiophonics.org
for a better sound!

Reply #7 - 02/25/09 at 15:58:31

Does anyone have a frequency response graph (Even if its just based on calculation) or at least a table of the housewreckers performance?

Visit www.ambiophonics.org for a better sound!
  IP Logged
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Reply #8 - 02/25/09 at 20:14:21

Do you want original or the modified response? I use to have both but can not locate the original test. My HWK was retired by my WO410 but if you would like more recent test run I might be able to this weekend. Let me know and I will reply ASAP.

HT-EXT

IP Logged
Azul Shiva

Visit
www.ambiophonics.org
for a better sound!

Reply #9 - 02/26/09 at 06:29:14

Dear HT-EXT,

I would greatly apprechďate any measurement with any driver which doesn't cost too much in the HWK 15 or 18. It would be interesting to know how you've set them up.

Thanks a lot!
Wolfgang

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Reply #10 - 02/26/09 at 15:14:26

Looks like a rainy weekend here in Mayberry and the boss told me I haft to work Saturday. I will try to run some test but you should know I have a modified HWK15 with two Dayton Series IIs. The 15"s are mounted with magnets in the center chamber. Top port is 6" x 12" and the two lower ports are 4" x 10" flared from PE. My results will not be the same as the original design. I sorry but I can not remember what your application was going to be for the HWK. Please remind me and maybe I can figure out what you can shot for with this design.

HT-EXT

IP Logged
Azul Shiva

Visit
www.ambiophonics.org
for a better sound!

Reply #11 - 02/26/09 at 20:20:36

I intend to use two Dayton Series II both facing upwards.

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Reply #12 - 02/27/09 at 11:22:33

Sounds like a great plan. I can vouch for the Series IIs. Just about a perfect woofer for the design if I do say so myself.

HT-EXT

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print