Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 12:18:20 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
HWK 15 ports size/ tuning and wiring ? (Read 6926 times)
asiquis

HWK 15 ports size/ tuning and wiring ?
08/04/07 at 02:09:51

The HWK 15 plans call for a 6" diameter port I can get 5.75" ID PVC is this close enough or do I need to change port length or?.
I was reading an old forum post where the person said they had tuned the HWK 15 to 13 Hz--is this changing the original design?
What software would one use for this subwoofer if the 13Hz tune is different from Steve's design?

Would I be better to wire the 2 subwoofers (8 ohm) to give a 4 ohm load in order to take advantage of teh higher output of the (which is 4 ohm stable)?

Fr.Ray

IP Logged
Bart_West-VL.
Ex Member

Re: HWK 15 ports size/ tuning and wiring ?
Reply #1 - 08/04/07 at 08:28:03

I used WinISD to look at the port changes and here is what it gave me:
port shortening factor for tube diameter 5.75" instead of 6" :
divide the original tube length by 1.1153
or multiply the length by 0.8967
(no, I'm not going to put the actual length here Lips Sealed Tongue)

Be careful with turbulence noise, making the port diameter smaller will limit the amount of power you can push the drivers with.
The more wind you want to blow through a hole, the larger the hole needs to be. Wink

Yes, wire two 8ohm drivers for 4ohm total.

How are you planning on putting the drivers in?
Clamshell, top or bottom?
Or one driver in top and one bottom?
Magnet up or down?

I'm planning a build of the HWK15" myself, so I'm looking forward to you're experience with it... build and sound.

Good luck and post some pictures please!  :D

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Reply #2 - 08/09/07 at 14:19:19

Port length and diameter will affect the tuning. It is really up to the person or persons personal taste that will determine how to tune the HWK. There are many speaker arrangements that can help you accomplish the 16Hz tuning you desire. The environment the HWK will be located in or around will affect overall tuning. Trial and error will be your best bet. Start with Steve's standards and go from there. As for speaker impedance try to run the lowest possible ohm load your amp will allow without overheating. I have used 4" flared ports(Parts Express) in the bottom of my HWK15 to lower its response but also had to shorten the top port to 6" X 6" to cut down back pressure/turblence from both the top and bottom ports due to the modification. I say build it, test it, and then boom it.

HT-EXT

" I TRY TO THINK BUT NUT'EN HAPPENS! " CURLY
  IP Logged
asiquis

Reply #3 - 08/11/07 at 01:49:57

Bart_West-VL.
How are you planning on putting the drivers in?
Clamshell, top or bottom?
Or one driver in top and one bottom?
Magnet up or down?

I plan on installing the 2 drivers both with cones firing up.
The plans mention this lowers the low end by 10 Hz or more. The plans also mention the "airspring' caused by this alignment causes interesting results with different drivers...
Thanks for the info. 4 ohms it is

HT-EXT thanks for the info....again!  :)

IP Logged
Bart_West-VL.
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 08/11/07 at 09:07:52

asiquis,

The plan is to put all 4 woofers in mine, I have these RadioShack drivers laying in the garage for about 18 years now.
This box is the only one (that I know of) that has place for four drivers and isn't the size of a truck. Wink
But I will try to get them in from the center chamber, as this has a lower tuning then putting them in from the top and the bottom side. It does give a smaller center chamber though.
I vote for a removable side too, like speakerfreak7 said in the other thread
https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1186777776#2.

Wiring will be:
each clamshell = 2x 8ohm = 4ohm
one clamshell; left channel
other one; right channel

I agree with your choice of install, both firing up, if you like the lower notes.
But remember, not all possibilities are drawn on the site, you could put both magnets in the center chamber.
I would say, that gives the most of the low notes but may have too little higher bass and you need that too!
It's your choice of course.

good luck and happy building. Smiley

Bart

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print