Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 11:18:48 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
CSP with a pair of Selects (Read 5625 times)
Andy831
Seasoned Member

CSP with a pair of Selects
07/16/07 at 07:52:47

The CSP arrived yesterday and like most stuff sourced within the UK it turns out its Georgio`s old amp.

Well I uncoupled the switchbox and inserted the CSP, turned everything on for half and hour to fully warm through, and started to play an album by Capercaillie  that I had been listening to the prevoius evening with just my pair of Selects.

Now I know that opinions are divided on this forum about the benefits of a preamp when using Selects so I will just describe what I heard.

The slight hum (NOT VOLUME RELATED) I got from the Selects alone is definately reduced with the preamp in place.

The musical performance has become more coherant, Instruments appear more readily identifiable, as is there location on the "Stage"

The music has a clarity about it that was not there before, with slightly more detail.

The bass is snappier and more controlled.

I am not sure if the potential volume is increased as I did not crank it up beyond my normal listening levels, except to say the CSP Volume control was only on a quarter to.

I will continue to listen for a couple of weeks, and then I intend to go back to a single select with the Pre to see what diffence that makes. Incidently I was listening in "Standard" Triode mode which I prefer.

Andy

Nottingham Analogue Spacedeck with Spacearm with Denon DL301mk 2 Cart.
Decware ZP2
Sony CDP X-3000 ES
Decware CSP Pre amp
Two Decware SE84CS strapped in parallel
Tannoy Grf Memory Speakers
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: CSP with a pair of Selects
Reply #1 - 07/16/07 at 12:05:57

Andy, sounds as if really grand listening lies ahead! Cheesy

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #2 - 07/16/07 at 13:29:17

Andy,

Everything that you described is spot on to what I heard, the differences you heard will be exactly that much again better if you have the pre upgraded from the CSP to the CSP2. I'm not joking about that either, it really is that much better!!!

Happy listening, it really is funny how Georgino's  "stuff" does get around.
BobZ

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
Andy831
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 07/16/07 at 17:12:32

ZYGI wrote on 07/16/07 at 13:29:17:
Andy,

really is funny how Georgino's  "stuff" does get around.
BobZ

Bob

You bet I have Three of his items now, and my Mate has a pair of his speakers LOL

Whats happened to him, has he jumped ship and gone to another brand?

Nottingham Analogue Spacedeck with Spacearm with Denon DL301mk 2 Cart.
Decware ZP2
Sony CDP X-3000 ES
Decware CSP Pre amp
Two Decware SE84CS strapped in parallel
Tannoy Grf Memory Speakers
  IP Logged
veryoldcat
Seasoned Member

dam*ed if you do,
and dam*ed if you
don't

Reply #4 - 07/17/07 at 05:55:37

ZYGI wrote on 07/16/07 at 13:29:17:
Andy,

Everything that you described is spot on to what I heard, the differences you heard will be exactly that much again better if you have the pre upgraded from the CSP to the CSP2. I'm not joking about that either, it really is that much better!!!

Darn you, Zygi.

Andy,

The CSP does WONDERS for my SE84CS, especially cd playback. When I can get to it, I'm inclined to upgrade my csp to *2* status, and will report on the benefits.

Congrats!

Karl

SE84CS (vcapped), CSP, zbox, Dec685, ZP 1.0, Sota tt/Well-Tempered Arm/V15XMR, Parker 98's, Parker Audio *Power Chords*, cat 6 wires, OSX; a garage sale of other stuff...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print