04/18/24 at 10:40:04 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Wicked One Volume (Read 4047 times)
KFan58
Ex Member

Wicked One Volume
07/16/07 at 04:29:05

Klipsch 5.1 subwoofer 8 " speakers usage in Wicked One.  Klipsch does not give out speaker design parameters.

Do I have this right?  This is how I understand the Wicked One dimension variations.

I drew the 3' X 3' Wicked One in AutoCad, using 8, 4, 2 dimensions, according to the download plans for the 10" speaker.  In AutoCad you can scale with a few mouse clicks, so I scaled the 3X3 by 0.8 for the 8" speaker (8/10 = 0.8) and the speaker enclosure comes out to be 28.8" square.

Next I drew the 3' X 2' enclosure in AutoCAD using the 8, 4, 2 dimensions.  Somewhere in the Wicked One posts Steve said to use the 3' X 2' for an 8" speaker.

AutoCad can calculate areas of odd shaped surfaces.  I had AutoCad calculate the areas of the sealed chambers of the two enclosures and to my surprise the areas are exactly the same, which means the cu. ft. volumes are the same at 0.63 cu. Ft. with brace.

My question is, which enclosure gives the better low end frequency response and gain, or is there a difference, because between the two enclosures, the horn flare length, shape, and exit opening are different?

If you use the Klipsch 5.1 subwoofer dimensions (available on klipsch web site in downloadable owners manual) and subtract, assuming 3/4" thick MDF, I get 1.2 cu. ft.; however, the Bash amplifier takes up internal space and this volume I do not know, but the 0.63 cu. ft. could be reasonable depending on the amplifier volume.  The speaker voice coil volume is 0.0135 cu. ft. which should be subtracted from the 0.63 cu. ft..  The spider sheet metal that holds the voice coil also occupies volume, and I did not try to estimate, so the volume of the sealed chamber is close to 0.6 cu. ft.

I looked at various 8" sub speakers on Crutchfield's website and the listed chamber volumes vary between 0.35 and 0.65 cu. ft.    

Anybody care to speculate?  Unless someone can tell me different I am going for the 0.6 cu. Ft. volume, but also what about using the 28.8" square vs 3' X 2' enclosure?

Regards,
Kfan58

IP Logged
Blotch
Ex Member

Re: Wicked One Volume
Reply #1 - 07/16/07 at 13:36:36

The WO is basically the same as a horn. The 36x36 will play lower than the 24x36. output level shouldnt be effected much just frequency response (think Steve posted this somewhere...). If you can get your hands on a copy of Loudspeaker Design Cookbook it shows how you can test a driver to get its basic parameters - usually takes me 15-20 mins to test one. You will need 1 frequency generator, a frequency counter or multimeter with frequency function, and digital voltmeter and a special calibration/hookup box which the plans are in the book, oh and a large handful of nickels Smiley . As for the amp(s), i'd mount them outside in a separate enclosure just so they weren't wasting valuable space in the sealed chambers. Look out for people saying your material was too thick...like Matthew - LOL. If you want to get super technical the long side boards and rear long board should be 5/8" material so the line length and compression chamber opening aren't changed at all - hehehe. Good luck, id like to know how it turns out when you finish it Smiley.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print