04/16/24 at 19:31:35 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
C or EX amp? (Read 4348 times)
Gexter
Ex Member

C or EX amp?
07/03/07 at 05:52:55

I would like to know everyones opinion on using these amps with my frugal horns. Which one would be the best choice?
the C or the EX Not sure on one over the other because I have not spend anytime in the tube forum and I have no idea at the moment which is which. But I am sure I will be filled in shortly.
The frugals have the Fostex 126's

Now for the rest of the story. A very kind Decware member has offered to send me one or the other as a gift.
When I was sent this PM I just about fell over. It has been countless years since I used a tube amp and when I revived my hobby a couple years ago by visting this site I wanted one all over again.
I was planning to make the El cheapo but that was fading into a dream even before it really got started. Some others things that I was looking forward to also got cancelled. I am in a situation of catch up after my wifes illness so I never know how things turn out.  
By the way she is doing awsome and you would never know how sick she was most days. Thought I should add that because things are going well.

My deepest thanks to the member that is shipping me one of these amps and also to the members that have helped and encouraged me over the last year or so.

Do what do the decware dudes say?

Gex

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: C or EX amp?
Reply #1 - 07/03/07 at 11:37:24

Well my heartfelt praise for the kindness of this gentleperson!

Gex. . .I think it depends on the ohm/load/crossover of the speaker as to which amp is best.  I don't know any of that for sure with your horns. . .but my guess. . . the C would be the best fit.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
tomp
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/03/07 at 17:53:20

I was driving the Hornsoppe Horns (fostex 126) with the Zen C standard. I thought it sounded good but lacked some weight. I converted to the EX version and got some weight back, but also got more hum. It just did not sound like the Zen I knew.

Converted back to the original. I like it better. An active preamp might address the weigt issue. I am using the ZLSA now.

Good luck.

IP Logged
Gexter
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/04/07 at 07:15:51

Lon and tomp
thanks for your posts they help tip the scales but the giver put his foot on the scale shortly after I made up my mind on the C.
Everything is all worked out between the giver and the receiver.
thanks for your input.

Gex

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print