Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 14:44:53 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
84CS and Taboo gain question (Read 7536 times)
Kelly
Verified Member

84CS and Taboo gain question
06/23/07 at 23:16:39

Hi,

Question maybe you guys can answer; i've got the 84CS and the Taboo, now along with the CSP2 rebuild (which I can't believe sounds so good).  With the CSP2 and the 84CS, I'm getting more gain then i'm getting with the CSP2/Taboo combo?  Why?  I thought I would be getting more volume out of my Taboo, but I'm not.  Still sounds good, but less volume, unless I turn up the gain on the CSP2 which is a tweek with pot dials on top of the unit.  Does the Taboo require more input?  The tubes are unchanged, but have checked to see if there is a difference with the output tubes, which is not much factor gain wise really.  The only thing I haven't done is change the input tube.  I'm using the original red label ECC81 tube for the input.  I'm not sure of the brand.  Is this gain lower in this tube?  Using the 84CS,  I'm getting substancially more gain. The 84CS sounds great at similar high volumes also.  I'm sure some of you know more about this than I. Regardless of the speakers.  The only thing I've done is put V-Caps in my 84CS, sounds fantastic. But I thought the Taboo, with more wpc would have more umph than the CS.  Not really in my case. Close but my 84CS is AWSOME. Taboo, good.  Is it the input tube?  I'd hate to ship it back to Steve and find out it's something I can take care of.  It sounds pretty good. But there's something about that CS that really sounds great.  I've written steve, He'll probably know right away.  I'm bypassing the volume pot on the 84CS when I use the CSP2.  

Thanks,

Kelly

IP Logged
KellyB

If you can't enjoy
the sound, it's just
noise!!!

Re: 84CS and Taboo gain question
Reply #1 - 06/24/07 at 01:40:44

Kelly,

I talked with Bob Z. about which amps might be better with the RL-3s & he preferred the two 84CS's to the Taboo, if used with the CSP2! Not to take anything away from the Taboo, it's a different "Flavor"!!!

I'm not sure about the technical terms, maybe Bob Z. or Steve will chime-in!!!

Take care,
  Kelly B.

Decware SE84CS X 2 (CCE-mod); Decware RL-3s; Decware Interconnect cables; ZenStyx speaker cables; Stax CA-Z Preamp; Stax SR-X Mk III Earspeakers; Pro-ject 2.9 Wood TT; Soundsmith SMMC2 Cart.; JBL Sig. Series Loudspeakers(vintage, '70); etc.
  IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #2 - 06/24/07 at 02:06:50

Kelly,

The Taboo does require more input, I think the SE84C is 2 volts for full output and the Taboo 2.3 volts for full power. It also makes a difference as to which input tube you have in your Taboo. It uses the 12A_7 tubes where as the SE84C uses the 6 volt 6922 series tubes.

I'm not sure the Taboo puts out more power as speaker impedance drops, like the SE84C does either.

Bob Z

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
Kelly
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 06/24/07 at 15:43:58

Anyone have a spare 84CS they want to sell?  Looking for about a Serial 142 Vintage.
I'd trade a Taboo for one.  Thanks

Kelly

IP Logged
Kelly
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 06/24/07 at 15:54:55

Hi, anyone know if Steve still will put one of the older 84CS's together so someone could have a matched set.  Any sites out there on how to mono these amps out of a pre-amp?  I was running it through my head while I was in bed last night and haven't got it yet.  You know I've seen it before too, I've starting to get oldtimers I think.  I know it's in my head, I just can't find it.  

Thanks,

Kelly

IP Logged
MikeW
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/25/07 at 20:25:10

drop a 12Ax7 input tube in the Taboo and see what happens...that has a lot more gain than the ecc81 (12at7)

Good luck. I am sure the Taboo is a great amp but I much prefer the Triode sound as opposed to pentode. Of course I could change my mind if I listen to the Taboo but the pentode designs I have heard to this point are not as good.

IP Logged
Brad
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 07/13/07 at 18:00:37

Yes, you very well might change your mind if you heard the Taboo.  I did!  ;-)
And I was a long time owner of the 84CS.

WWW   IP Logged
MikeW
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 07/15/07 at 02:14:28

In that case I shall not listen to one since I am broke Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print