Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 16:52:40 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
passive pre for Zens ? (Read 7489 times)
skiroe

passive pre for Zens ?
06/11/07 at 20:00:34

Considering trying a passive with my SV83S no longer made I would think.   So far it seems like the  Promitheus and Luminous are good possibilities.    The pro has the tranny  which puts it up in the league of much higher dollar passives.   The  Luminuous can be speced for what its going to be used for...  Interested in knowing what others have done...    [smiley=cloud9.gif]

IP Logged
rayd
Seasoned Member

Re: passive pre for Zens ?
Reply #1 - 06/11/07 at 23:25:55

I'm using the Promitheus TVC (Ref 1) with a Eddie Vaughn customized Select. I like it a lot! The unit is not even close to broken in (only 25 hours or so on it - needs 100 - 400 hours from what I have read), but I'm liking what I am hearing. The TVC does not color nor get in the way of the music at all and does not introduce any hum or noise - it may have even lowered it a skooch - and feel I have gained a bit more bass and top-end. I like it for it's "Zen" simplicity - no tubes or power cords to worry about Smiley

It recently favored very well in a friend's system (Den) who has all Eastern Electric MiniMax gear: amp, pre, cdp, & bba, and the Brines single-driver speakers (TL's I think). We ran the TVC in place of the EE pre first without the bba. There was a noticeable lack of gain and a drop in bass. Very non-involving and a bit boring. However, when Den reintroduced the bba, the TVC had no problem being on par with the active pre. Both of us liked what we heard and were a bit amazed how it stood up. As far as audible differences, I think it sort of tamed or rounded off the sound a bit - but in a good way. The highs weren't rolled but more like the sound was reshaped. Hard to describe. I really liked it in his system though. (Sorry, not good with all the superlatives) Folks on the Audio Circle forum are talking about using the passive with an active and getting good synergies. Den's bba is an intriguing piece of gear.

This is my 3rd TVC as there were quality problems with the 1st two but Nicholas took care of me right away and was very accommodating. I'm also using two of Nicholas' 1.5m silver IC's. Highly recommeneded but YMMV.

Good luck!

- Ray

Decware SE84CS Zen Select, vintage Philips CD880 w/CDM-1 MK2 transport & TDA1541A S1 DAC, Parker 95's, Promitheus Audio TVC Reference 1, Blue Jeans Cables, NOS Tubes, HAL-Os
  IP Logged
DrN
Verified Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 06/12/07 at 00:43:25

You are correct there boobie!
The TVC with the BBA sounded nice. Lets just say it put a smile on our faces.
I'm not too good on superlatives either but I know what sounds good. It was real good!

skiroe, I had the SV83S Sig Monos too.  They were fantastic especially with the Speltz Zero Autoformers. I probably should not have sold that system. I had them at least 6 years and I got bit for a change. The Mini Max system in no way gives up anything it's just different.

Ray, I will be paying Zygi a visit soon. Since He is not too far from where I am going to be in NC
I will just have to pay old Ed a visit too in SC.

D

Pathos Classic One mkll Usher Cp6371 CA Emotion CMB Carbon Satisfy Arm Falcon PS Heed Quasar AT33PTGII Cambridge CXC Schiit Yggdrasil Itona Curious link
WE16ga SC Belden 8402 Int Wywires Litespeed SPDIF Juice "Silver" Series SC and interconnects out for now
  IP Logged
rayd
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 06/12/07 at 00:51:06

DrN wrote on 06/12/07 at 00:43:25:
skiroe, I had the SV83S Sig Monos too.  They were fantastic especially with the Speltz Zero Autoformers. I probably should not have sold that system. I had them at least 6 years and I got bit for a change. The Mini Max system in no way gives up anything it's just different.

Den, I wish I bought those to keep them in the family sort of speak but I wasn't in the right frame of mind. They were sweet amps!

DrN wrote on 06/12/07 at 00:43:25:
Ray, I will be paying Zygi a visit soon. Since He is not too far from where I am going to be in NC
I will just have to pay old Ed a visit too in SC.

Den, have a safe trip man. It was good knowing ya' and thanks for all the audio fun and gifts over the years! Maybe I'll make it down one of these days! Have fun and keep in touch!!

- Ray

Decware SE84CS Zen Select, vintage Philips CD880 w/CDM-1 MK2 transport & TDA1541A S1 DAC, Parker 95's, Promitheus Audio TVC Reference 1, Blue Jeans Cables, NOS Tubes, HAL-Os
  IP Logged
Eli Duttman
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 06/12/07 at 01:27:38

Passive preamp IS an oxymoron.  >:(  Passive control center, fine.

Before you buy anything, check with Mr. Deckert to see what the drive requirement of the amps is.  It's possible that a small amount of gain in the line stage could be beneficial.

IP Logged
veryoldcat
Seasoned Member

dam*ed if you do,
and dam*ed if you
don't

Reply #5 - 06/12/07 at 07:59:17

This may not add any new data...

Not to side with Eli (well maybe I am), but no matter what I do to my select, which is similar to the monos, is on its best behavior with the volume pot down just a bit from all the way (maybe at 11 o'clock if 12 was all the way) with the gain made up from from my pre.

I DO notice the additional transparence going straight into the select's purist inputs that bypass the input pot, but still, musicality is noticeably better as per above, which seems counter intuitive.

Karl

SE84CS (vcapped), CSP, zbox, Dec685, ZP 1.0, Sota tt/Well-Tempered Arm/V15XMR, Parker 98's, Parker Audio *Power Chords*, cat 6 wires, OSX; a garage sale of other stuff...
  IP Logged
MikeW
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 06/12/07 at 15:19:50

veryoldcat wrote on 06/12/07 at 07:59:17:
This may not add any new data...

Not to side with Eli (well maybe I am), but no matter what I do to my select, which is similar to the monos, is on its best behavior with the volume pot down just a bit from all the way (maybe at 11 o'clock if 12 was all the way) with the gain made up from from my pre.

I DO notice the additional transparence going straight into the select's purist inputs that bypass the input pot, but still, musicality is noticeably better as per above, which seems counter intuitive.

Karl

Me and Karl do the same thing......seems to work very well.

IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #7 - 06/24/07 at 05:12:11

MikeW wrote on 06/12/07 at 15:19:50:
Me and Karl do the same thing......seems to work very well.

Ditto!
                                                                      Don

Decware, Rega, Heybrook/Linn/Ortofon
Goertz/Wireworld/cat-5/MarkAudio Alpair 10.2 drivers
(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
NHT SB3’s
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print