Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 17:38:21 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
when mixing drivers in a hwk? (Read 8378 times)
60_and_up
Ex Member

when mixing drivers in a hwk?
06/04/07 at 03:17:35

i have a pair of jbl ??## in my hwk, and i just got these

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=003&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT...

shall i clamshell matched pairs or mix em up?

IP Logged
not_quite_deaf
Ex Member

Re: when mixing drivers in a hwk?
Reply #1 - 06/04/07 at 07:51:18

Auction says 15", looks like a 10" in the pictures.

IP Logged
stvcmty
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/04/07 at 16:38:41

I would be careful with that company/seller.

shredmuzic used to be music supply center which used to be steel sound.

I have ordered from them and had mixed results.  I ordered 2 12" round horns and 2 7" round horns.  They sent me 4 7" round horns.  I ordered speaker grills and rubber feet.  The rubber feet arrived significantly later than the rest of the order, it looks like they forgot them in the origional order.

My roommate ordered a speaker box from them.  They said it was in stock he went to pick it up in person and they did not have any in stock.

their tech support page has some errors in it http://www.shredmuzic.com/category_s/50.htm

They are a good store to get hardware from, but there is always some question about weather or not I will get what I ordered.  They have changed their name 3 times in the last three years.

Stv

IP Logged
60_and_up
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/04/07 at 17:22:49

stvcmty wrote on 06/04/07 at 16:38:41:
I would be careful with that company/seller.

shredmuzic used to be music supply center which used to be steel sound.

I have ordered from them and had mixed results.  I ordered 2 12" round horns and 2 7" round horns.  They sent me 4 7" round horns.  I ordered speaker grills and rubber feet.  The rubber feet arrived significantly later than the rest of the order, it looks like they forgot them in the origional order.

My roommate ordered a speaker box from them.  They said it was in stock he went to pick it up in person and they did not have any in stock.

their tech support page has some errors in it http://www.shredmuzic.com/category_s/50.htm

They are a good store to get hardware from, but there is always some question about weather or not I will get what I ordered.  They have changed their name 3 times in the last three years.

Stv

meh,
ive paypalled them $75 for 2 x 15" moofas, well see if they arrive?

16,000 deals and 98%+ve ffedback seems like a safe -ish bet to me?

IP Logged
musgofasa
Seasoned Member

Where is that
monkey? I want to
shoot something!

Reply #4 - 06/05/07 at 17:44:04

General opinion would be to not put different drivers in the same enclosure, especially not a 6th order type box. The theory is that the different xmax and different displacements will cause one (in this case one pair) to over extend and blow out.

My opinion would be to go ahead and do the clamshells as matched pairs. I have done mixed drivers in sealed and ported cabinets and found the average to be similar to what happens with an ABC box (in theory anyway). The reason I say match the pairs is the xmax. If the speakers are matched and facing each other (out of phase of course) then they will move the same displacement the same distance at the same speed. Mismatched drivers might not work together in which case you would likely have lost spl and possible high distortion.

Of course ymmv as always, but I have done the mixed drivers in this way before without too much trouble so I would say go for it.

Take care,
Robert

The graveyard is full of important men
musgofasa   IP Logged
60_and_up
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/05/07 at 20:10:49

mugs,

i read somewhere in steves writings that the hwk can benifit from mixed drivers, or at least that it doesnt suffer?

ymmv? what does that mean

would clamshelling mixed drivers even out any descrepancies and make all 4 drivers behave similarly?

IP Logged
musgofasa
Seasoned Member

Where is that
monkey? I want to
shoot something!

Reply #6 - 06/06/07 at 12:49:08

60_and_up wrote on 06/05/07 at 20:10:49:
mugs,

i read somewhere in steves writings that the hwk can benifit from mixed drivers, or at least that it doesnt suffer?

I believe it, personally. Not unlike the Imperial, having two different drivers can even out spikes from each driver. It can have positive or negative effects. With low frequency reproduction, I don't find the changes to be severe, but rather beneficial to both drivers. Whatever one is lacking, the other will usually bring up and what one is too strong in, the other will usually bring down a bit. Bear in mind that this is for 2 drivers and not 4. With 4 drivers, each pair will likely have the same effect so long as the pairs are matched. I still wouldn't recommend combining different drivers in each speaker location. Only 2 of the same driver mounted face to face. (Clamshell)

ymmv? what does that mean

LOL  ymmv=Your mileage may vary

would clamshelling mixed drivers even out any descrepancies and make all 4 drivers behave similarly?

I think so, When I have mixed drivers in the past, it usually helps with the dips and spikes. See what happens with only two drivers of different types in the box first and then try adding the other two to see what happens. One good thing about the HWK it is certainly flexible. You already have a reference with two jbl speakers so try all methods of mounting them. IE jbls in the two speaker locations firing out, in, with the magnets together, clamshelled in each location only etc. Then try two different woofers in the different positions. Then you can try one pair of matched and a single driver in the other and then go to the double congifuration with 4 drivers and see what happens. This is the only configuration where you won't have flexibility to tune it so I would experiment all the way up to this and then see what was the best.

Take care,
Robert

The graveyard is full of important men
musgofasa   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print