03/29/24 at 16:30:04 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
RSB 6 Switch Box (Read 5439 times)
Andy831
Seasoned Member

RSB 6 Switch Box
03/30/07 at 09:06:23

As I will very soon need another set of inputs to take my Turntable, and I dont use a pre amp with my strapped selects, I was wondering about the RSB 6 switchbox. (Nor do i want to use a preamp)

Does anybody use one? does it effect sound quality, (suppose it must as its a switch in the signal path)

Am i correct in thinking its an "Unpowered" switch with no connection to the mains required?

Would be interested to hear of other peoples experience with this bit of Steve`s kit.

Nottingham Analogue Spacedeck with Spacearm with Denon DL301mk 2 Cart.
Decware ZP2
Sony CDP X-3000 ES
Decware CSP Pre amp
Two Decware SE84CS strapped in parallel
Tannoy Grf Memory Speakers
  IP Logged
MikeW
Ex Member

Re: RSB 6 Switch Box
Reply #1 - 03/31/07 at 03:32:43

I used one of Steve's switch boxes for a while and thought it was very good indeed. If I had a need for it I would not hesitate.

IP Logged
Andy831
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 03/31/07 at 07:00:53

Thanks Mike thats good enough for me, I will order one without delay.

As an aside what do you think of the Ah Njoe Tjoeb. It`s a cd player I quite
fancy trying. What prompted you to go for it, and did you audition it against
many other machines

Regards

Andy

Nottingham Analogue Spacedeck with Spacearm with Denon DL301mk 2 Cart.
Decware ZP2
Sony CDP X-3000 ES
Decware CSP Pre amp
Two Decware SE84CS strapped in parallel
Tannoy Grf Memory Speakers
  IP Logged
MikeW
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/31/07 at 10:07:39

Andy,
I bought the Ah! without the benefit of an audition. Word of mouth on it's performance and price were the main factors. It is a very musical CD player that does a lot of things right. It responds well to tube rolling. There are interesting comments of the player in different threads on the digital sources forum. (Check the best digital front ends less that $1000 at the top started by Steve Deckert) Also this unit is not a true tube output. The tube stage is just a buffer stage. If you were to decide the Ah! is the right machine you would need to make sure it has the opamp upgrade and you may or may not want the upsampler board.
What I like about the player is
It is very musical, can be tailored by tube rolling, big soundstage, glorious midrange with good bass and highs. Bass is not flabby and highs are detailed but not sharp.
What I do not like about the player:
It is 'cheaply' built. Drawer mechanism is not of the caliber of that of other players in it's price range. It is very picky about (at least mine is) about tracking CDR's and mine will cut up a little too with a worn or dirty CD. The makers of the Ah! take a middle of the road Marantz player and mod it.
Would I buy it if I had to do it over again?
Probably not. I have had the opportunity to hear the Decware 685, a Rega Apollo and I have done a side by side with the California audio unit it replaced. Don't get me wrong, I am not sorry I bought it I just wish I had been patient enough to have done some audtioning. The Decware 685 and Rega Apollo do not trounce it but they do better it and the build quality is superb. It only beat out my California audio lab player in the bass reproduction and the  Ah's highs are a little more extended but hey the Cal audio stuff is 16 years old too.
Based on some converstaions I have had and things I have heard in other systems and further reading on the forum about players that have a good synergy with Decware stuff I would try to hear the following (now I am speaking from my budget perspective as well)

1) Rega appollo
2) Arcam FMJ23 (would be a used player)
3) Music Hall CD-25
4) Used Sony SCD XA777ES (top of my budget)
5) Believe it or not a Jolida Jd-100.
6) and of course the Decware 685 if you can find a donor unit for Steve to mod

Also on Audiogon there is a player I have stared at a few times:
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlplay&1180391162

Hope all the rambling helps.....

Trot over to the digital sources forum and ask a few questions, I am sure others will weigh in.

Good luck if you decide to pick out a player

IP Logged
rmt
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 03/31/07 at 20:48:30

I have one of the switch boxes.  I cannot tell that it affects the sound in any way.  Very handy little box for when you need to hook up more items with convenience.  I don't think Steve would have allowed it out of his store if it affected the sound of his products.

Lots of discussion on the the Digital Sources forum about Ah Noeb players.

Select, CSP2 upgrade, Dec 685, DSRii, Nibbelin NFX w/DFR-8s, SE34.I, Zbox
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print