Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/18/24 at 23:22:05 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
DECWARE SILVER REFERENCE INTERCONNECTS - DSR II (Read 73657 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

DECWARE SILVER REFERENCE INTERCONNECTS - DSR II
03/12/07 at 13:39:19

I have been enjoying a pair of these new cables for over a month now.  I have the cable placed between my DEC685 and my ZBox, and it replaced a cable which was the previous version of the Silver Reference interconnect, the DSRI.

I am happy to report that this is a fantastic value of a cable.  The cable sounds better or as good in comparison to cables that cost three times the cost that I have on hand.  It has a clarity and an openness that is stunning in use with a fine system.  There just isn't any accenting of any frequency levels.  High, mid, and low are all presented with an honest and open feel.  This somehow frees the music to both flow and to fill.  There is less of an etched soundstaging, and a natural feel to the presentation.

I did not really expect to experience a profound difference between version I and version II of this great cable, but I did.  In comparison, there's a slight emphasis on the high frequencies on version I and that adds a slight "hifi" feel to the sound.  That also seems to lead to a bit of rigidity to some imaging.  This is absent in the new cable and as a result the new cable is slightly more relaxed and nautral sounding--to me, in the same place in my system.

And version II is much more of an attractive cable than version I--to me.  I like the looks of the woven covering.  Pretty cables!

I know that eventually I will purchase another set of version II to replace my version I in my future system, which will include a CSP2.  Now that I KNOW the sonic improvement version II provides, I'll always have a motivation to replace my version I cable.

Kudoes Steve for improving on a great design!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
DaveCan
Ex Member

Re:  DECWARE SILVER REFERENCE INTERCONNECTS -
Reply #1 - 03/13/07 at 05:47:37

This is great to see your report of the DSRII's Lon.  When I ordered my Taboo last summer I also ordered a pair of 0.5 meter  DSRII cables at the same time, as it just seemed like the right thing to do.The cable I was using before to my cd player was a fairly decent fiber optic but the DSR rca cable just blows it away, glad to to see someone who's ear's I respect feeling good about these cables also..  Dave Smiley

IP Logged
MikeW
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/13/07 at 13:59:15

Thanks Lon for the great observations. This cable is on my short list to try.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 03/13/07 at 15:45:42

Dave, not surprising that you also really appreciate this cable.

It is sort of. . . seductive.   Wink

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 03/13/07 at 15:47:59

Mike, do be sure to audition it before you spend that kind of money and certainly more on another cable!

I have a pair of PS Audio XStream Statement interconnects that I really love that run from the ZBox to the Decware EL34 Monoblocks right now. . . . I think they're the equal of the Decware, while being slightly different.  I bought them heavily discounted (thank goodness) and they ended up costing the same price as the same length of the DSRIIs would be, but the usual price on those was three times that or more!  These are the best two cables I've owned.  They better another cable I've loved for years, the TARA Labs "Referrence," that was about twice the price of the same length of DSRIIs. (I now use the TARA Labs cables from the Sony DVD recorder I have to the Trinitron cd. . . sure makes the little tv speakers sound great!  In the future I'll run that TARA Labs into the CSP2 instead of the tv).

IP Logged
Corey
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/20/07 at 18:45:03

Lon wrote on 03/12/07 at 13:39:19:
It has a clarity and an openness that is stunning in use with a fine system.  There just isn't any accenting of any frequency levels.  High, mid, and low are all presented with an honest and open feel.

I have owned both the DSR and DSRII as well and have to agree that the DSRII is a much more open cable. Still, Lon, I urge you to try the MAC Braided IC. It does everything the DSRII does as far as frequency balance and soundstaging is concerned but in addition to offering a great open sound like you describe, it also offers a greater immediacy.  I did not expect that, I expected the trade off of a overall warmer sound and smoother soundstage but I am getting greater perceived detail AND an immediate bloom with the MAC cable that makes the music more lively and realistic. This really shocked me since the MAC cable is copper and the DSR is silver. Silver usually has a greater presence to it.

I think you would really enjoy the added immediacy through your triode strapped EL34's. The Decware output iron really allows these differences to shine through.  Actually talking to Steve at MAC about his Silver Braided IC might be a good idea as well. Still the MAC Braided IC is $30. All you need to do is buy some tech flex and some shrink tubing and you can easily duplicate the DSRII look, all in a $35 cable.

Quote:
 This somehow frees the music to both flow and to fill.  There is less of an etched soundstaging, and a natural feel to the presentation.

Yup, the DSR was etched. I am very curious to hear what Trevor has to say about it in his system using the DEC 343. His speakers are the same as your's and his SE84C is voiced very close to yours. The DEC 685 was a touch hot with the DSR in my system. That is why I believe the Braided IC is such a wonderful design in this particular application. I believe the topology of the braid naturally filters the digital top end which contributes to the etching.

Corey

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 03/20/07 at 19:02:40

Corey,

I'm happy with the DSRIIs and really don't want to try MAC cables.  But thanks for the information.

IP Logged
Corey
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 03/20/07 at 22:14:07

No problem, I just figured you'd be open to saving $140 and gaining a tad better low bass and immediacy.

Corey

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 03/20/07 at 22:17:57

Nope, not open!  :)  We have different systems and I'm not certain we'd get the same results, and as I'm so happy with mine I don't want to bother right now.  Don't yet know how much I'll need another cable. . .no CSP2 in hand yet.

Also, I'm just trying to keep my money with Decware for now, and if I need another cable, I'll likely buy a Decware one.  I like having a system that has more and more Decware components within.  And the more I add, the better it sounds.  :)

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 04/03/07 at 12:52:44

Well, I reconnected the DSR Is to the Zbox (from the DEC685) in anticipation of the arrival of the CSP2 in a few days (if not tomorrow).

In comparison to the DSR IIs the reinstated Is have just a slight emphasis on lower  highs and seem. . .more dynamic.  Just a tad. Also a bit drier.  BOTH are great cable designs.

I'm considering leaving these in place and running the IIs between the Zbox and the CSP2. . . I think that may be the best combination?

IP Logged
Tr3vWh0r3
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 04/04/07 at 03:27:21

"Yup, the DSR was etched. I am very curious to hear what Trevor has to say about it in his system using the DEC 343."

I think the 343 is said to be a little warmer sounding then the 685, so the cables might be just what I need. I feel right now using a generic cable that my sound is a touch "veiled."

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #11 - 04/13/07 at 13:52:14

Well, I just ordered another pair of the DSRIIs.  With the CSP2 in the chain, I just feel I have to have one so my DEC 685 to CSP2 to ZBox have identical cables, and astonishinly good ones too.

IP Logged
buzz
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 04/13/07 at 17:35:46

Lon wrote on 04/13/07 at 13:52:14:
Well, I just ordered another pair of the DSRIIs.  With the CSP2 in the chain, I just feel I have to have one so my DEC 685 to CSP2 to ZBox have identical cables, and astonishinly good ones too.

Hi Lon,

You are running the CSP2 and the Zbox?  I thought the output impedance of the CSP2 was already low enough... no?

Thanks,
-Buzz

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13 - 04/13/07 at 19:52:59

Yes, I'm running both.

At this point I would say yes, if one has the ZBox one doesn't really need the CSP2, though I have a feeling that the CSP2 when fully broken in and integrated (and with the right cables) will add another level of "realism" to the sound.

I've finally decided to and am able to listen to two sources though, and I didn't want to add a switchbox.  With all the talk of the CSP2 here, and all the love I have for units built by Steve Deckert, I spent my tax return on the CSP2.  I just didn't feel right ordering a switchbox.  I'm enjoying listening to the tv (through the nice Sony VCR/DVDR that I have) through the Decware system!

IP Logged
60_and_up
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 04/21/07 at 01:26:22

Tr3vWh0r3 wrote on 04/04/07 at 03:27:21:
I feel right now using a generic cable that my sound is a touch "veiled."

turn it up.  ;)

i always find music sounds veiled when i cant hear it  :)

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15 - 05/17/07 at 00:49:08

Lon wrote on 04/13/07 at 13:52:14:

Well, I now have DSR IIs in place as both the link between the DEC 685 and the ZBox, and the ZBox and the CSP2 and boy am I happy!

IP Logged
60_and_up
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 05/17/07 at 15:30:08

lon,

do you believe cables get old?

or do they have exactly the same performance 30 years after they are first connected.

oxyodization etc im thinking?

even the actual rcas seem weatherd on some cables ive seen.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17 - 05/17/07 at 20:04:48

I do believe it's possible some cables get old. . . Yes, it's possible especially if insulation or sheathing cracks, etc.

I've been lucky.  I've a pair of TARA Labs Reference interconnects that I've had over eleven years, and they are still in great shape and sound the same they did after they first broke in . . . I've used them in several different systems and they've been really good performers with no diminishment of sound or looks.

They were expensive, they should be that way!

I've had good luck with Decware interconnects and PS Audio interconnects as well.  All are well made and hold up!

IP Logged
Stone Deaf
Ex Member

Re:  DECWARE SILVER REFERENCE INTERCONNECTS - DSR II
Reply #18 - 02/17/09 at 05:35:27

I bought a .5 meter Decware interconnect when I bought my Taboo and CSP2 and have no regrets. I had been using Kimber KCAG and Hero cables but have ordered more Decware.

I have also done the sleeving trick using black tec flex and heat shrink tubing over Mapleshade Golden Helix. The wires look very classy now and I notice no difference in the sound. I may sleeve my Kimber 8TC next it's a cheap way to enjoy the hobby.

IP Logged
mike_gagne
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 02/18/09 at 06:45:49

On old cable I can tell you that copper romex house wiring has a "life" that is known and cannot be installed beyond a certain date that is in the code stamped on the sheathing. It does in my experience become brittle and this with just the passage of time say 30 months. Building inspectors can disallow the use of such "out of date" product. Why would any other metal product be different?      aloha, mike

IP Logged
Imkhawx
Ex Member

Re: DSR II & ZSTYX
Reply #20 - 12/22/10 at 13:33:04

I'm afraid my experience so far with both the DSRII interconnects and the ZSTYX speaker cables have not been too impressive.

I've only received them today and they've been in the system for around 6 hours now and I'm afraid that I just can't listen to them.... On either of my 2 set-ups.

They are simply too harsh and bright with a glare in the midrange which I find intolerable and a bloom in the bass which muddles the soundstage.

This totally caught me by surprise as I was expecting great things based on my experience with the newly purchased NFX speakers and ZP3 Phonostage. When I switched back to my Hisago interconnects and Siltech speaker cables, I returned to a state of bliss again.

I hope that it's just a case of needing time to burn in but I seriously don't know how to go about doing this as the normal route of running them in is out of the question at the moment as I find them (in this current condition) just way too harsh and unlistenable..... In fact, the thought of re-introducing them back into the system fills me with dread...

Maybe it's just a system mismatch....

My set-ups are listed below.

Main system
2A3 monobloks (self made)
Self made TT with 2 arms
Decware ZP3 phonostage
Loth X Polaris speakers

Bedroom system
Decware SE84
Dynavector P75 phonostage
Clearaudio Magnum TT
Decware NFX speakers

Cables
Siltech LS38G3 speaker cables
Crystal Piccolo interconnects
Hisago Interconnects

I'm afraid me and the Decware cables aren't a match made in heaven.
I'm going to see if I can find someone who can oven cook the cables and see if there are any improvements. But at the moment, I cannot say that I'm impressed.

More than a little disappointed.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21 - 12/22/10 at 15:14:20

Sorry to hear of your disappointment. These cables are significantly different sounding after a few hundred hours of use.  I understand it can be hard to handle those hours of use. If you can set them up in a little system somewhere and just run them for a week quietly, they should sound totally different the next time you put them in.

All I can say is they'll totally reveal the sound of what drives them. The only equipment of yours I have any experience with is the SE84, so I don't know how those other components "sound."

I found the ICs to be not quite my cup of tea for a while. . .until I changed some source components and then it was revealed that what I most disliked of the ICs were. . . problems with the source.

Anyway, you gave them a shot, and I'd advise somehow burning them in and trying them again. They may surprise you then.

IP Logged
Imkhawx
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 12/23/10 at 15:35:52

Thanks for the advice Lon.....

I may be taking them down to a shop that claims that they can run in the cables via some sort of heating element, ovenlike thingy.... They're not cheap @ 20 bucks a day and they reckon that it'll take at least 3 days. That's 60 bucks to run in the cables so I'm not too sure.

They claim it works but frankly I'm skeptical.... but I really don't know what else to do.... so short of just putting them in the cupboard at home, I may just try out this gizmo.

Will let you know if I decide to try it out. For now, they're definitely playing 2nd fiddle to my Siltechs and Hisago combo... All terminated with Furutech hardware.....

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23 - 12/23/10 at 15:52:41

Hmm. . . not sure I would spend sixty dollars for that . . . given the price of the interconnects, it seems counter-intuitive. If you're not happy with them, and you have interconnects you are happy with, are you still within the return window?  That would make sense.

If you do keep them, couldn't you run them in your bedroom system all the time that you aren't in the bedroom, quietly, just to get some hours on them?  If you're worried about the tube amp, do you have something of a solid state receiver or such in a closet somewhere you could use? I know I do. Smiley  

Anyway, I would have even bought the interconnects from you new, as I just ordered a half-meter and a full meter pair in the last week or so. Here's hoping you find a happy resolution in short order.

IP Logged
Imkhawx
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 12/24/10 at 09:24:59

I finally figured out how to break in the cables without breaking the bank.

I'm gonna hook up the interconnects from my TV output to my AV amp.
Will use the speaker cables as the cables from the AV amp to my front speakers of my TV set-up.

Hopefully that will work. Will keep you updated on the results.

Cheers Lon.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #25 - 12/24/10 at 14:47:40

Sounds like a great plan! Hope you like them when they're back in for audition!  Happy Holidays!

IP Logged
Imkhawx
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 12/28/10 at 14:04:23

Happy Holidays to you too Lon... Hope you had a good 'un.

Anyways, a quick update...

After 4 days in my TV set-up, I moved the cables back to my main system. There is an improvement, Lon.

But they're still way too harsh..... So I've returned them back to my TV set-up..... Will try again in a couple of weeks or so.... Will let you know.

Still not too impressed yet..... but getting there I hope. We'll see....

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #27 - 12/28/10 at 14:17:40

It DOES take time. I hope you get there in a week or two.

Glad you are enjoying your phono stage so much! If I were to "go vinyl" again I'd definitely get one of those.

IP Logged
Imkhawx
Ex Member

Reply #28 - 12/28/10 at 14:29:03

I am guardedly optimistic on that Lon..... I'm hearing improvements already so fingers crossed.

For me, I only listen to records... always have..... Never found a CD player that I even remotely liked..... The closest was a friend's Wadia (don't know what model) but the price put me off for what I thought to be a compromise option.

Maybe I'm just an old fogey and too set in my ways! Smiley

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re:  DECWARE SILVER REFERENCE INTERCONNECTS - DSR
Reply #29 - 12/28/10 at 14:41:03

I totally understand.  Vinyl sounds wonderful, and I could be totally nostalgic for the sound and the artifacts . . . but. . . . .

In the eighties I became even more obsessed with jazz than I was beforehand, and began serious collecting of jazz recordings, and recordings out of print for decades began to be available on cd and I began picking them up. There's no way I could have found even one quarter of my collection on lp here (very slim jazz pickings on lp or in live performance here) or even via ebay etc. I began trading for lps on cdr and cdrs of tapes never released officialy with others (especially some jazz musicians and a former manager of jazz musicians) etc. And spending all my money on cds; I had given up smoking and drinking, didn't have a car, and had money for recordigns. As a result I became a cd listener and collector and I've thousands of recordings. I have built my system around cd and it sounds great, especially since I bought the Sony SCD-XA5400 ES player, it is the best cd player I've heard, period, even better than the output of the ZDAC-1 for ME. So I'm invested in cd for the rest of my life, and it's not a handicap, I've learned to appreciate redbook sound done right.

For me, it's the music rather than the medium, there's so much more music to explore for me on cd than vinyl.

Anyway, that's the path I've chosen, I can certainly see that if I lived in a more jazz vinyl rich area, I'd be on the same course you follow.

IP Logged
proud_indian
Seasoned Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #30 - 12/29/10 at 05:06:37

I am using a similar cable, which is made by a company in India, who claim that they make it for some space program company Cool It is a 133 strand, silver plated copper with teflon, but it has lesser silver than the Decware cable. Prior to this, I was using silver foils.
The cable does take a long time to burn/break in. In my experience, they were times that the system would suddenly get harsh and remain like that for a  while. After about three months it got better. The highs were the problem for me, as they were a little distorted for quite a while. Don't know if the 1 watt of the Decware amp with the Lowthers, were too small a current to break it in faster.

shreekant Smiley

Oppo, hdd,84c, pm6a, cd200, foreplay lll, zbox, bottlehead sex amp, zob, various stuff that make up two systems
WWW   IP Logged
Imkhawx
Ex Member

Reply #31 - 12/30/10 at 13:05:22

Well I've always found that silver seems to take a little longer than most to burn in. I'm still hopeful this will work out well.....

But this is the 1st time I've encountered such brightness and harshness. fingers crossed.

IP Logged
Imkhawx
Ex Member

Reply #32 - 12/30/10 at 13:10:32

As far as the vinyl vs CD debate..... I tend to agree with Lon..... the music comes first and that should dictate your direction more than anything else.

My boy has been playing an ipod through an el cheapo dac that he bought on my main system and I can't believe how artificial it sounds.... Hell of a lot of compression and overemphasizing of certain frequencies in recordings these day.... I can't stand it but he loves it so to each his own I guess.....

IP Logged
Crazy Bill the Eel Killer
Seasoned Member

Tubes Rule !!

Reply #33 - 01/05/11 at 19:22:04

Hello Imkhawx,

Here's something you could try to speed up the process. You need to juice those babies.

Since you've built your own and therefore know how to be safe, just hook up a couple of 8 ohm power resistotrs at the end of your amp/cable setup and let them cook. You could let them go continuously if you're OK with the gear being on when you're not at home, since there's no sound to intrude upon the solitude. You could vary the volume of the source to change the signal/current amplitude through the cables, which I understand is beneficial to the process. After a couple of weeks you should be pretty close to as good as they are going to be w/o any ear pain in  the process.

I use silver interconnects and speaker wires, and I used this process. I found my situation to be similar to yours; i.e. unlistenable at first, but beautiful ( hopefully for you too ) sound when done. And I am anal about the sound. I can't listen to cds. While my digital gear certainly is just OK, my listening buddy ( whom I vist often ) uses a Mac laptop as a server/Burmeister CD linestage combo as sources feeding the Weiss DAC through Stax Omega SRII earphones driven by a Woo Audio WES upgraded w/ the VDH caps. It is absolutely unbelievable. That said, however, I listen w/ a Denon DL103R or Grado Statement/Mitch Cotter turntable through a Sonic Frontiers Phono 1 into the Stax SR007tII amp and SR OmegaI earphones. The vinyl listening experience, even through phones, is far more enjoyable and believable to me. But that's just my 2c.

I hope it works out for you.

Cheers,            Crazy Bill

IP Logged
Imkhawx
Ex Member

Reply #34 - 01/07/11 at 08:31:09

Thanks Bill..... That's actually not a bad idea. I'll probably give it a shot but definitely only when I'm at home..

Anyway, a quick update.... it's been another 2 weeks that the cables have been in my TV system which sees relatively heavy use as the kids and wife all use it on a day to day basis.... about 4 hours daily or so.

Today, I swapped them out and placed them back in my main system. Definitely an improvement..... quite a bit of the harshness has disappeared and they are sounding a lot better balanced with a nicer "body" to the sound.... Still a little bit clinical and cold but a vast improvement. Still prefer my Siltech and Hisago though..... so back in my TV system they go for another 2 weeks.

These are the toughest cables I've ever had to run in.
I'm praying that it's worth the effort!

IP Logged
Imkhawx
Ex Member

Reply #35 - 01/22/11 at 11:42:17

It has now been a month since I've been using the interconnects and speaker cables. They been run in as hard as I could (approximately 6- 8 hours a day) for 31 days now.

So, after 200 odd hours of running in, I figured that they are as run-in'd as their going to get.

I took them out of the TV system and replaced the Siltech speaker cables  and Hisago interconnects with the Decwares.

I am now finally ready to give up. The cables just don't go well in either of my systems. I'm calling it a day. They are going in the cupboard as spares unless someone else wants them.

c'est la vie.... these things happen.

The NFX speakers and ZP3 phono stage from Decware are simply superb..... The cables are just not to my taste... too bright and harsh for me.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #36 - 01/22/11 at 15:57:50

Well, you certainly gave it the good fight. Kudos for that!

I'm certain you could return them and get quite a bit of your money back. I have them everywhere in my main system and they just aren't harsh there. Yeah, I have the treble circuit in use, but that's true with any cabling.

I'm waiting for a few pair to be manufactured and arrive. . . . I'm starting to convert my second system to all Decware cabling. May take a yhear of so.

IP Logged
.:.impossible
Verified Member

Reply #37 - 01/24/11 at 21:19:06

Imkhawx,

I may be interested in buying a pair of DSR II's from you, if you are considering getting rid of them. Please let me know!

Cary

IP Logged
Imkhawx
Ex Member

Reply #38 - 01/26/11 at 08:25:17

Sure mate..... but may not be worth your while as I'm very far away in Singapore..... also mine use the Xhadow interconnects so they are dearer.

If you're still interested, you can PM me.

IP Logged
Imkhawx
Ex Member

Reply #39 - 03/02/11 at 13:00:29

An update......

Last Sunday, I took out the interconnects and speaker cables from my TV set-up to try again..... frankly it was coz I was bored and needed to do something to occupy idle hands.

Hugely surprised..... There was a massive improvement.... Harshness and brightness are gone.... sound is very quick and agile.... weight is back. Focus and soundstage are excellent..... most difference i'm hearing are from the DSR IIs which now sound much better than both my Crystal and Hisago interconnects.

The speaker cables are still not as good as my Siltechs but still very very good. So much so that I've installed them in my bedroom system.

I was frankly astounded how much of a change in the 2 months or so of running these cables in my TV system. In all the time I've been involved with sound systems, I don't think I've ever come across any cables that required to be run'd in as much as the Decwares..... But I must say that I am very impressed at the quality of the sound I'm getting for the price.....

Is this normal Steve? And if so, is there some way you'd recommend to hasten the burn in process?

I'm actually thinking of getting some more now ...  ;D

Very pleasantly surprised.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #40 - 03/04/11 at 17:20:26

Wow, that's an amazingly long breakin that thankfully has great results!

I was hoping you'd love these interconnects. There reallly is nothing like them in my opinion, at least for anywhere near the cost.

I think that you'll learn to love the speaker cables in time. They took a very long time to break in for me as well, but when they did. . . woah. I don't see ever having any other speaker cables.

IP Logged
Imkhawx
Ex Member

Reply #41 - 06/04/11 at 13:15:09

They've both (speaker cables and interconnects) broken in now Lon..... and they're great value for the price.....

In fact, the DSRII are better than my Hisago and Crystals now. The speaker cables are really good too.

I think my Furutechs are better but they are a darn sight more expensive!

For what you pay for these.... you'd be hard pressed to find anything better for 2 to 3 times the price.

The ONLY down side is the super long break in. I spoke to Steve about it and he reckons that this is probably due to the fact that the cables I used were a good match with my amps already and as such I was supersensitive to any sort of hardness or "wrongness".... He could be right... But once they do break-in..... they're wonderful.

I actually bought another 2 pairs of 0.5 meter DSR IIs and some power cords. I'm actually dreading the running in period but I've got a solution now that i know works so I'm prepared to wait to reap the rewards that I know will come.

I gave these a not too complimentary review when I got them..... but I was too hasty methinks..... these things ARE excellent.... if you're patient.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #42 - 06/04/11 at 14:44:12

It's so great to read how happy you are with the cables, and yes, they're worth the wait for burn-in,  and the burn-in is way too long.

When you have your entire system connected with them it will sing! So glad I hadn't steered you wrong as I feared I may have at first!

IP Logged
Imkhawx
Ex Member

Reply #43 - 06/04/11 at 16:02:17

:)

No worries mate. I've been doing this long enough to realize that it's always a little risky purchasing without an audition. I expected good things though based on my NFX and ZP3.... So I figured the risk was minimal....

It all worked out to my great satisfaction in the end though.

IP Logged
nico

Reply #44 - 10/02/11 at 09:12:16

I've been reading this thread and just wanted to say that breaking-in cables first to me sounded like just another way for people to sell bad, or more cables.
By now I know that when you have put a lot of time and money in selecting the components that sound "right" for your ears...finding the right cables is even more difficult. [and expensive].
I'll never forget what my first Siltech cable did for my install. I just could not believe I had been listening and enjoying music with my old cable after swapping back once. At this point I started to buy [and after breaking-in and listening, selling again] the best interconnects I could afford. Some were simply a vast improvement, others a waste of money.
In the end I only bought cables that I could try out at home first, and that worked for me.
Regrettably I'm a looong way from you guys, not beeing able to audition the Decware cables and having to pay customs and substancial shippingcosts for everything I buy in the U.S.
The speakercables I use are 100% pure "silver strips" [Siltech FT12, fragile...] which are about 15 years old; prob. my best buy EVER. I relined them with teflontape and finished them with braided nylon and shrink-sleeve; looking very nice and letting music through like I never heard before.
About interconnects; I once hooked up a new interconnect which sounded awefull ,to a fully charged car battery on one end and a headlight-bulb on the other and left it burning overnight. Repeated it 2 more times, each time after which the cable sounded better balanced, no more harsh highs after three times.
I've done this with a lot of cables now and it's a zero-cost upgrade for impatient people like me, who just want to flip the switch, sit down and enjoy music. I hate it to come home, knowing I'll have to listen to stuff still breaking-in...
Silver btw is a far better material to use for audio than silver-plated copper imo; when silver ages it produces silver-oxide, which is a excellent conductor. Copper on the other hand degrades over time because of the air molecules trapped inside during the fabrication process ; copper oxide is a BAD conductor.... [no such problems when using UPOCC wire].
Everybody can tell you "their cable is superior made" but nobody can tell you it will match in your install. Wink. Your taste and your ears are unique!
Just my 2cts.
Nico

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #45 - 10/02/11 at 23:20:25

I just added in what I think will be my last three pairs of DSR ICs. So, now, I have DSR ICs coming out of my Oppo, and into my Zektor switch, and out of that into the Ultra. I also have them running from the Ultra to one of the Toriis, and finally, from my Dolby Digital decoder into the Zektor switch. (BTW, the Zektor switch is a huge improvement over what I had been using.)

The two places I don't have DSR ICs are on the longer 4-meter runs from the Ultra to the second Torii and the Taboo. For those two runs, I use the AudioQuest Silver Extreme ICs available from HCM Audio that I believe Lon referred me to. For runs over one-meter, those prices are very hard to beat at that quality.

Nico, I love your method of fast break-in. Very clever, but is it as effective as variegated signals using discs like the Esoteric audio break-in disc?

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
nico

Reply #46 - 10/03/11 at 06:47:22

Don't know, after the method described I plug the cable into my system and play the Karma burn-in cd for 24 hours and I'm done.
After that my cables sound much smoother and balanced than when purchased.
The first cable I did this way still has the same neutrality and smoothness so to speak; it did not develope any further.
You should try it to know if it works for you; it is a cheap experiment.
Like we say over here; "there are many ways to get to Rome"
Good luck
Nico

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #47 - 10/03/11 at 16:14:36

"There are many ways to get to Rome, but all paths lead there," right Nico? Wink

What do you suppose it is that is different about the steady-state light bulb current that works better than playing music?

Last night, I played Muddy Wates' Folk Singer—the 192/24 HDAD as ripped to my NAS—and the sound was just magical. My 15yo daughter was entranced.

IP Logged
nico

Reply #48 - 10/03/11 at 17:52:42

Yep, you;re right about the ROME thing. About my remarks about burning-in cables ; I never said my way is better, it is CHEAPER.
Beeing a restorer of classic Mercedes cars, I'm often asked to integrate a good [BIG] sound system, navi, cruise control, electric windows, you name it,  in a car that does not have a wire harness suitable to handle the extra currents.
So calculating and rewiring a car means taking in account the continous maximum current needed per fuse etc. [easy enough].
One day, after a unsatisfying evening of listening with new cables, I took them to the workshop and just connected the signal wire like mentioned in my other post to a big battery and a lightbulb. Later I tortured new speakerwire, powering a startermotor drawing 90 amps out of another big 12 Volts battery and a time-relay "pushing the button" for 10 seconds on-five minutes off. After the battery gave up I took the cables home, connected them.....and they sounded like shit. [sorry for the bold expression]. Only after I reversed the signal flow [connecting the speaker where the startermotor had been] I found myself listening untill 3 o'clock in the morning. Lesson learned; be sure to mark which side comes where ,BEFORE burning-in, and be carefull during the whole process how you wire everything!
So this process was just a idea put to use, and in my case turned out to be working very well. I have not felt the need for trying out other cables since. [no more craving for "better" cables at last.... Smiley]
Nico

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #49 - 10/03/11 at 22:18:54

Ah, excellent background info. Thanks Nico.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print