04/25/24 at 09:54:31 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Started my WO's (Read 12171 times)
jimt
Ex Member

Started my WO's
03/07/07 at 03:51:13

Picked up the 3/4" MDF and brought it to school, i laid the lines out on a sheet, and my teacher is bringing his circular saw in tomorrow so i can start the cuts.

Now i have all the lines, and the shape on the board.   Do i just cut pieces of wood to fit on the respected lines, miter, and glue them in place?   Are there any tips for the internal boards? Mitering?  Anything?

Also:  I didn't measure it out, but can 1 WO be built from a single 8'x4' sheet of MDF?  I only bought 2 sheets, but if i need another, I'll go buy it.

Expect some pics tomorrow, hopefully.  I'll bring my camera into school.

IP Logged
jimt
Ex Member

Re: Started my WO's
Reply #1 - 03/07/07 at 04:26:57

I also wanted to ask-    Should i glue and screw the box?   Or just glue it?   I'm scared of screwing it for fear of cracking the MDF, so i'm leaning towards just gluing and clamping everything.

IP Logged
dbjunkies
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/07/07 at 05:18:05

pre-drill the holes...helps tons!

IP Logged
aznboi3644
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/07/07 at 07:32:01

wood splitting can be virtually elimated by predrilling.  I have never split MDF when predrilled.

There is one exception though...do not put a screw too close to an end piece...I would go any closer than 1 1/2-2 inches from the end

IP Logged
musgofasa
Seasoned Member

Where is that
monkey? I want to
shoot something!

Reply #4 - 03/09/07 at 01:20:54

From experience, you will likely need one more sheet of MDF for two of these things.

Pre-drilling should work fine so long as you stay at least an inch or so from the ends, but brad nails are much more efficient and cause less damage if you take your time. You got a compressor and access to a small brad nail gun? I would've hated building one of these with all screws. Of course, I put my screws about 2.5 to 3 inches apart at the outside so that's a whole lot of screws for a WO.

Keep us posted. Take pics too lol

See I told you that you would get the jump on me lol. Are you really going with Steve's woofers for all 4? I can't wait to hear your impressions if you do.

Take care,
Robert

The graveyard is full of important men
musgofasa   IP Logged
Jet-Lee
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 03/09/07 at 16:42:44

pre-drill Pre-Drill PRE-DRILL!!!

I've split many-a-wood panels because I didn't pre-drill. I'm waiting to invest in an electric brad nailer. I use Elmers' 2-ton strength glue, that stuff it STRONG. It took a few whacks with an 8lb sledge to break a piece of scrap wood free from a drop on the driveway.

I glue, screw then silicone the inside and outside of my boxes. I could probably drop them from the roof of my house and seams would be intact; now the boards breaking, can't help that.

I'm pretty sure it requires 1.5-2 sheets per 36x36 WO.

WWW e3_wizard jetleeamc   IP Logged
jimt
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 03/10/07 at 05:34:40

Constructing has been started on 1.    Construction time is through the roof, and quality is extremely low.    The teacher wont let me do any of the cuts my self, so i get maybe 1 panel done per day. And he's horrid with a saw (table or circular) so i'm anticipating my first WO to be a total failure.

I pre-drilled all the holes and i'm screwing/gluing the entire box, the bottom, back, and 2 sides, are done now and i cant even separate the 2 side walls even a little bit with force, showing a great gluing/screwing job on my part.

I'll keep everyone posted, but its looking like this WO may end up being a waste of wood and i'll be stuck listening to a brick-and-mortar store bought box.

-Jim

IP Logged
musgofasa
Seasoned Member

Where is that
monkey? I want to
shoot something!

Reply #7 - 03/10/07 at 15:37:47

Don't be surprised if it sounds better than you expect. As long as it resembles the right dimensions and it doesn't leak too badly the WO is happy. It is a very forgiving enclosure.

The learning curve for cutting and fitting is usually pretty steep. Basically most people get it right after a few tries. The WO looks complicated the first time you build it. I would almost recommend building one out of some junky, cheap wood first just to get the feel for it before endeavoring to build a permanent one. I will say that wood glue and a brad nailer cut construction time by at least 100%.  Do the math:

1 brad nail = 1/2 second. * 1000 nails = 500seconds/ 60 = 8.3333 minutes

1 pre drill = 30 seconds
1 counter sink and swapping drill bits = 60 seconds
screwing in full length screw and tightening correctly = 45 seconds
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
135seconds per screw * 1000 screws = 135,000 seconds/ 60 = 2250minutes/ 60 = 37.5 hours

Seriously doubt the WO would have 1000 screws, but you get the idea lol

Take care,
Robert

BTW Gex, when you put it in that light, how valuable would an electric nailer or a air tank and air nailer be?
Cheesy Cheesy

musgofasa   IP Logged
jimt
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 03/10/07 at 18:52:20

Well its not the pre-drilling/screwing process that's taking forever,  whats taking forever is the teacher doing 1,000,000 other things, then i catch him for 3 minutes to butcher another piece of my expensive (to a full time student) MDF.

My Dad's an ace with wood-working, but he moved to Florida, so i'm on my own.

IP Logged
musgofasa
Seasoned Member

Where is that
monkey? I want to
shoot something!

Reply #9 - 03/10/07 at 20:00:57

Yikes,
They say it's in the genes. You think you can sneak and make the cuts yourself? Or is it just a class project sort of thing at this point?

Can't wait till the project is done either way. It should be impressive

Take care,
Robert

musgofasa   IP Logged
jimt
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 03/10/07 at 22:17:40

No, its my own project, the problem is-  It's actually an automotive class, we don't have wood shop anymore, and he's worried about me chopping a finger off or something.

IP Logged
jimt
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 03/11/07 at 02:26:05

I was getting a little impatient, so i quickly through something together for tonight.   I put my "1000 Watt"  car amp under the seat, and i have it pushing an EAW LA118z   18" Sound Reinforcement woofer.     The bass is absolutely insane, but i cant keep it in there, its a speaker i use for my DJ/Pro Sound rig.

IP Logged
BUGGERS
Verified Member

Reply #12 - 03/13/07 at 16:27:10

My first WO was extremely ugly. Not a single angle cut actually came out the right angle. I use eurathane glue for all my speakers because it expands and fills the gaps. It is still pounding in my living room today Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print