05/03/24 at 14:03:43 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
6.5 deathbox (Read 16595 times)
json
Verified Member

6.5 deathbox
02/12/07 at 20:34:24

Has anyone had success in building a 6.5" version of the deatbox? I'm finishing up some speakers (Cyburgs Needles) and am looking at my enclosure options for adding a couple of existing 6.5" woofers to reinforce the bottom end. I have built the 10" DB and really liked it, but I'm not seeing anything conclusive on the 6.5", other than it seems more sensitive to different woofers that the 10".

IP Logged
G
Ex Member

Re: 6.5 deathbox
Reply #1 - 02/13/07 at 02:15:18

I thought that Steve himself had built one. I made a 8" one that was a failure but I admit I could do it 100 times better now.
my advice would be not to ratio down to much . keep in on the large size for the sealed area.
Thats just a quess and the way I would attempt it now.
No numbers just a thought
G

IP Logged
aznboi3644
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/13/07 at 04:54:09

Has anyone ever just built the 10 inch WO and put 8's or 6.5's in there...not scaling it down???

If so how does it sound???

IP Logged
Adrian
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 02/13/07 at 13:59:16

i've cut 1inch of the height if the wo and loaded it with some soviet made 8's. put in my friend's volvo, it could rattle the hell out of the license plate and kick you in the chest really hard, considering it was powered by the hu  :o
too bad the car broke down 3 days after we installed it.
still waiting for my friend to get back at my place and take some pics.
you oculd try searching the old forums https://www.decware.com/forums/Deathbox/  or the even older forums http://web.archive.org/web/20010207175817/www.decware.com/bbs/forum.html
there's a lot of info there, but it's burried deep.

IP Logged
json
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 02/15/07 at 17:26:56

Was looking at the WO as a possiblily too, but wanted to scale all the diminsions down. Something smaller that the 10" DBII.

I'll look through the archives and see what I can find.

Thanks

IP Logged
G
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 02/16/07 at 03:24:26

build a 36x36 or 24x36  6.5" WO  at least its narrow! and I know that it will work well
Adrians idea of the 8" DB is also a great one the shorter height is a good idea.
You could always try a 6.5" I am pretty sure that Steve had one at one time.
Go to the DB II page and click on  Technical explanation and pictures of how it works. scroll down to the bottom of the page and look at Steves little 6.5
G

IP Logged
aznboi3644
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 02/16/07 at 05:12:56

Adrian wrote on 02/13/07 at 13:59:16:
i've cut 1inch of the height if the wo and loaded it with some soviet made 8's. put in my friend's volvo, it could rattle the hell out of the license plate and kick you in the chest really hard, considering it was powered by the hu  :o
too bad the car broke down 3 days after we installed it.
still waiting for my friend to get back at my place and take some pics.
you oculd try searching the old forums https://www.decware.com/forums/Deathbox/  or the even older forums http://web.archive.org/web/20010207175817/www.decware.com/bbs/forum.html
there's a lot of info there, but it's burried deep.

Wow...that forum looks ancient.

And Steve, from what I've read, has a fetish of cumming all over his speakers and sending them out lol.

Steve
"I usually cum all over my freshly produced subs when I'm taking it in the ass from large black men. See ya you silly little freak."

lol

IP Logged
G
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 02/16/07 at 05:31:03

?

IP Logged
Adrian
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 02/16/07 at 12:30:57

i've read that too. but it seems like someone stole his password and posted using his screen name.

IP Logged
G
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 02/16/07 at 14:05:24

Ah
well it will be easy to delete and throw the trash and change the password. I went back and looked at his other posts and found it out of character so I was wondering.

Some people are so odd and not in a good way. Can't imagine them making the world a better place for mankind and themselves.

IP Logged
JimP
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 02/24/07 at 21:47:45

I built a 6.5 inch db just for fun.  I had a extra woofer lying around.  I scaled it down to fit the 6.5 inch diameter, but I think I may have made it longer than scaling would have given.  I posted the pics, probably last summer or fall.  It definitely lets that little woofer pound, but the low extension is only 50 Hz, maybe 45 Hz usable output.  That could be the woofer's fault, but I think the small box is as much to blame.  Without a good crossover the box is massively boomy with big peaks in the 150 Hz plus area.

Jim

Jim P
Teaching the virtues of horn loading one Open Jam at a time.
  IP Logged
musgofasa
Seasoned Member

Where is that
monkey? I want to
shoot something!

Reply #11 - 02/25/07 at 15:44:20

Haven't done  db, but I have made a standard WO with 8" woofers.
It worked great. Didn't sound hardly any different from the 10" version, but it was probably more efficient. Played almost as loud too.

Take care,
Robert

The graveyard is full of important men
musgofasa   IP Logged
dantimdad
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 03/26/07 at 03:17:00

I have built 4 different versions of 6.5" db's. (varying lengths and scaling percentages)

The best of the four (Tried about 6 different drivers in them all), was one that the measurements were scaled to .65 the original and then added 3" to the length.

I used 1/2" mdf for all of them (even though scaling would say to use 5/8" approx.)

The best one had extension down to around 38Hz and pounded like no one's business.  It topped out around 118Hz without a crossover but, did have some midrange trash coming through.

BTW, the best sounding driver combo in it was two clamshelled RS vintage poly woofers with a 1/2" spacer ring in between them.  I ran it with right around 125 watts at 4 ohm.  
AMAZING!

The second best was some cheap closeout DVC things from PE that were $2.97 a piece and shielded.  :)  They actually sounded like they went a little lower but were no where near as efficient as the RS drivers.

The worst, believe it or not, was some competition 6.5" Rockford Fosgate drivers.  They were $80 each years ago when I bought them but they sounded like slapping a wet rag on a table top compared to the two best.  Go figure.

DanTimDad

IP Logged
dbjunkies
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 04/03/07 at 20:54:40

what did the overall outside dimensions end up to be for the 6.5" DB?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print