Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 13:27:18 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Can someone double ckeck my HW wiring? (Read 1324 times)
Iso187
Ex Member

Can someone double ckeck my HW wiring?
02/06/07 at 18:07:55

Just jotted down on a pice of scrap paper. This is probable the most complicated wiring i have ever done. I think the whole outta phase just plays with my head. But i was hoping that i can either get the "its ok" or the fix so that i dont have to piss with wiring later on. Im aiming for a 4Ohm total load so, i think i have it right. Anyone double check for me i would greatly appreciate.

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Re: Can someone double ckeck my HW wiring?
Reply #1 - 02/07/07 at 04:15:55

I think you may have them in phase with each other.

Got a meter? if you reverse the polarity on one of the pair and run them parallel then you will have a 2 Ohm load on a pair, that are out of Phase.

then you series the two sets together to make 4 Ohms.

Make sense ? I am terrible explaining this stuff.
I always check with a meter.

Get a meter

IP Logged
Iso187
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/07/07 at 15:37:36

Ok thanks, will check. Only reason i asked, is that a typical series connects a (+) to a (-), so i figured seriesing a (-) to a (-) would throw one woofer out of phase. But I will check with a meter. Thanks for the help.

IP Logged
Jet-Lee
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 02/21/07 at 21:41:22

I think I simplified your drawing, and I do believe it's correct.

WWW e3_wizard jetleeamc   IP Logged
musgofasa
Seasoned Member

Where is that
monkey? I want to
shoot something!

Reply #4 - 02/23/07 at 01:58:49

Hey Lee,

I feel disadvantaged here, but would this work too? The whole out of phase thing has me confused too

Take care,
Robert

The graveyard is full of important men
musgofasa   IP Logged
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Reply #5 - 02/23/07 at 11:28:54

I am in the same boat with everyone here when it comes to wiring that many speakers in one box. The best way I have found is the good old nine volt battery. I would wire up one set of the speakers check with the "9V" to make they are phase right. Then wire up the next two check it with the "9V". Wire it all together and repeat test until everything is moving in the right direction. Now I would not put the battery on it for a long time just love tap it to the terminals or speaker wire to check the speakers movement. Hope this helps.

HT-EXT  

" I TRY TO THINK BUT NUT'EN HAPPENS! " CURLY
  IP Logged
G
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 02/23/07 at 11:44:25

HT-EXT wrote on 02/23/07 at 11:28:54:
I am in the same boat with everyone here when it comes to wiring that many speakers in one box. The best way I have found is the good old nine volt battery. I would wire up one set of the speakers check with the "9V" to make they are phase right. Then wire up the next two check it with the "9V". Wire it all together and repeat test until everything is moving in the right direction. Now I would not put the battery on it for a long time just love tap it to the terminals to check the speakers movement. Hope this helps.

HT-EXT  

Now we are talking! this is what I do when I am getting scrambled about the wiring. I get everything going in the right direction first.
Its my understanding ( never had more than two dirvers in a HWK) that you could even have the top pair opposed to the bottom pair and it sound good in a HWK.
I would have the pair working together all moving up and down at the same time at first.
Assemble the dirvers outside the box and line them up like the HWK configuration and get them going in the right direction.
then you can meter it to check your resistance.

Why didnt I think of the 9 v battery one. Pro vrs rank amature i guess. me being the rank one of course.

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Reply #7 - 02/23/07 at 12:04:09

I am far from a PRO. The bad part is I have wired/rewired HWKs over 100 times and still resort to the battery test to get it right. I am thinking the PROs could wire it up with there eyes closed and laugh at me with my little "9V" making that popping noise over and over again.

HT-EXT

IP Logged
G
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 02/23/07 at 18:05:43

LOL
ya but WOW thats a lot of HWK wiring!. Can't say I have done that much rewiring on a HWK.
I just do it right the first time!.. lol. kidding.
thats experience in my book HT-EXT!
G

IP Logged
musgofasa
Seasoned Member

Where is that
monkey? I want to
shoot something!

Reply #9 - 02/24/07 at 09:25:49

lol

Ya know, I have probably wired a thousand Iso loaded enclosures and no few of them with 4 or 8 or even 16 woofers. I have been called "Pro" more than I have been called anything else (at least that I could repeat in public) lol. But I just realized that I nearly always run things in parallel and then series the sets rather than the other way around.
I will see if I can draw that out and I bet it makes more sense lol

Take care,
Robert

edit: Et voila 4ohm load (with 4 4ohm speakers) each pair is out of phase and the two pairs should be in phase

Of course, i always test with a 9V before closing it up lol
Take care,
Robert

musgofasa   IP Logged
musgofasa
Seasoned Member

Where is that
monkey? I want to
shoot something!

Reply #10 - 02/24/07 at 09:48:19

Same thing, maybe a little easier to look at:

musgofasa   IP Logged
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Reply #11 - 02/24/07 at 12:51:39

Now dern-it I am confused again but it don't take much. I thought if two speakers were iso-loaded one would haft to be hooked out of phase. I know we are dealing with two sets but lets start with one set at a time. One set iso-loaded would have the negative to negative and positive to positive I think? Where in the heck is my battery?

HT-EXT  

IP Logged
musgofasa
Seasoned Member

Where is that
monkey? I want to
shoot something!

Reply #12 - 02/24/07 at 14:45:34

It's been a long while since I did this one, but the two speakers that face each other need to be wired out of phase so that they fire in the same direction at the same time.

Hence positive to negative wiring on each pair

The trick is wiring the other pair in phase with the first pair so that all four speakers move in the same direction at the same time.

This is why I always stuck to amps that would run 1 channel per pair of speakers. Wiring to the same channel required a 9V every time lol

Take care,
Robert

musgofasa   IP Logged
Adrian
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 02/24/07 at 18:28:14

looks good Robert.

IP Logged
musgofasa
Seasoned Member

Where is that
monkey? I want to
shoot something!

Reply #14 - 02/24/07 at 18:31:46

Hey! Somebody agrees??

Maybe I am right?

maybe a decent educated guess??

lol

Thanks Adrian, to be honest I looked at it cross eyed 3 times before I posted and to tell the truth, I would still wire it up and test it with a battery lol.

Take Care,
Robert

musgofasa   IP Logged
Adrian
Ex Member

Reply #15 - 02/24/07 at 18:40:06

battery beats paper Smiley
educated ? more like studying my ass off saturday evening  >:(

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Reply #16 - 02/24/07 at 23:12:59

"Battery beats paper" that is funny I don't care who you are. Please don't take offense Robert, I am the one fighting the wiring curve and it usually beans me on the head. For some reason even when I draw a wiring schematic down on paper it just does not jive with my limited IQ. I think the booze might have alot to do with it. For all you out there "DON'T DRINK AND WIRE HWKS" have a designated audio tech do it for you after too many snorts from the bottle. From most of your post Robert, I can tell you have a right smart of knowledge in the audio field and beside I am just a little fish in the shark tank waiting for his turn. Thanks for the help.

HT-EXT

IP Logged
musgofasa
Seasoned Member

Where is that
monkey? I want to
shoot something!

Reply #17 - 02/25/07 at 02:57:11

LOL

Actually whenever I talk to the like of Zygi or Steve, I feel like the little Donkey in the Budweiser commercials.

http://www.ifilm.com/video/2532913/collection/18509/minisite/superbowl

had to throw that in there

Take care,
Robert

musgofasa   IP Logged
Jet-Lee
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 03/05/07 at 20:58:51

Robert, your last one was right, mine was giving 1ohm.

I dunno what I was thinking, I got all confused.

WWW e3_wizard jetleeamc   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print