04/19/24 at 15:56:21 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
another DB (Read 10645 times)
bayrat
Ex Member

another DB
02/03/07 at 20:27:20

Ok its taken me quite awhile to get into this forum, but here I am. I have already built some of the boxes here (2 DB10s, the Wedge, and  a HW). My question is....I have a DB10 with a pretty massive 10 in it, I am extremely happy with it, so next project is either  2 DB12s with cheap subs or another DB10 and go and buy another sub? I have 2 cheap 12s, and would like a pair instead of a single sub because of imaging problems. My DB10 dominates the room. I have it in the corner, port facing back, but still a little to much highs out of it. I really dont see how 2 of the DB12s with cheap subs is going to keep up with the one I have.

IP Logged
Adrian
Ex Member

Re: another DB
Reply #1 - 02/04/07 at 17:04:13

lower the x-over point. or use a steeper slope.
i hate 2 subs in a room. i'd stick with one sub.

IP Logged
aznboi3644
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/04/07 at 20:26:39

two different subs in the same room in different locations would be a nightmare to make them sound good together...stick with the the same subs in one location

IP Logged
bayrat
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 02/05/07 at 02:49:19

i suppose the question would be....a DB10 with a decent woofer or a DB12 with a cheesey woofer.....I havent built a DB12 yet. As for the imaging problem...well the DB10 puts out way more bass than I need, I do have it crossed over at 120hz, I guess I should just turn it down some.

IP Logged
60_and_up
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 02/05/07 at 04:56:34

x it over @ 60, maybe turn it down a lil, and maybe move the insert down also.

you could build a db 12 with the 2 cheesey subs 'clamshelled' ?

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Reply #5 - 02/06/07 at 00:34:18

I would proably build another DB10 with the same sub as the one you have now. If you have different phase controls (plate amps will help) for each sub, running two in the same room should not be a problem. If you can not adjust the phase room placement will be very important. As for the DB12, if you are going to the trouble build it, a good quality speaker makes all the difference. I am like you, if I have a speaker laying around I won't to build something for it. After the build most sounded average because of an average speaker. I finally was convinced by Adrian D that better constructed speakers can make hugh gains in spl, sq, and lower response. I say build everything you can and let your ear decide what you like. GOOD LUCK.

HT-EXT

" I TRY TO THINK BUT NUT'EN HAPPENS! " CURLY
  IP Logged
bayrat
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 02/12/07 at 02:42:17

thanks for the support all.....I been visiting this site for quite some time now. I have built the wedge and installed it in a 03 mustang...it wasnt a spl sound, but oh the low bass. I strive for the low end when it comes to building a system. I been putting together car audio systems for...well not quite the 8-track days, but I did have one. Steve has quite a few nice designs here, if only I had access to this site years ago.

IP Logged
BUGGERS
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 03/13/07 at 14:58:56

I have found that plate amps allow allot of higher freq's to get through.

IP Logged
JRock
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 03/25/07 at 22:57:31

This thread could very well be dead already- but I would vote for 2 DB12s vs. 1 DB10.  I love the DB10 when compared to a DB12- but 2 DB12s is an awesome setup.  Anytime I can do 2 subs in a room- or even a car- I always try.  The increase in displacement (usually- although a good 10 vs 2 crappy 12s may not be quite so big or might not even exsist.) and the ability to place 2 subs to better fill a room makes it a no brainer to me.

If you are deciding on building 2 more DB12s for the 12" Subs you already own vs. purchasing another 10. I would build and try the 2 12s.  The 12s tend to dig lower and 2 subs can usually fill a room better then 1.

XO point is definately something that varies greatly from install to install, but I never like a sub XO above 100HZ 12db/Octave. (80Hz 6dB/Octave is usually my favorite in home) I just can't stand the honkyness higher XO points or shorter slopes allow through.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print