Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
noob-ish question... (Read 25120 times)
Adrian D.
Ex Member

noob-ish question...
01/19/07 at 17:30:51

pics first

the sub is pictured with the magnet in the vented part of the db10. i didn't think about the spacing between the baffle and the basket.
at the moment i have the sub mounted the way it's shown in the plans. compared to the sealed box i previously had it sounds kinda hollow and the higher frequencies are very annoying even crossed at 60hz. i've used the sub as in the pics last summer, but all i can recall is that it didn't have as many high freq problems.
is the space between the 45 deg panel and the space between the baffle and the basket too small to let the sub breathe right ?
and no, i can't cut the second baffle.

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Re: noob-ish question...
Reply #1 - 01/19/07 at 18:24:21

the db is begining to annoy me. blanking hump between 105 and 115hz won't go away not even crossed at 50 hz and 12 db/octave and with the woofer mounted as in the pics.
maybe it's time to go ported or tl.
i'll try some fill in the sealed part tomorrow.
the hollow sound is killing me.  >:( Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry

IP Logged
AWDriven
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 01/21/07 at 14:48:25

It may have some strange loading effects on the cones dust cap, or create noise.  Did you ever consider using a ~1" spacer between the speaker frame and the insert surface?  You could cut one out of mdf similar to a speaker mount ring used when making a fiberglass enclosure.

Otherwise, It could be that the sub may not be compatible with the box.  I tried using an older RF Punch XLC sub and it didn't perform that well.  After reading many of the forum posts it appeared that the box works well with cheaper subs so I went looking for the cheapest I could find to try it out.  I bought a Visonik package deal from Walmart.  It included a 10" sub mounted in a small sealed box and a 70 watt RMS Class D amplifier for about $50.  I unscrewed the sub from the provided box and mounted in into the DB.  I had to add weather stripping around the speaker frame because it didn't have the cork/cardboard "gasket".  Also, the sub actually looks well constructed.

It works great!  I am still "tuning" the box, however it already sounds 10 times better than the best I could get using the RF sub.

So, you may just want to find yourself a "cheap" sub to use or I may have just lucked out with the Visonik sub.  I plan on trying several other cheap subs to see what happens.

AWDriven.

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 01/21/07 at 21:32:20

why not put the magnet in the sealed end?
yes things look a bit close for comfort in the pics.
the rl-p gets 'boomy' in a box thats too big for it, mabe thr rl-i is the same?

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 01/21/07 at 21:34:16

also if tyour getting annoying output (bumps) @ 100+ hz and things are xed over @ 50 id look at your xover?

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 01/22/07 at 18:30:33

i talked to mike about box size and he said it's best. and previous to the db, i had it in a .9 cf sealed box, which wasn't boomy at all. the xover is fine, it's something in the design. or maybe i got used to the previous sealed box. beeing crossed a bit too low (~65) it lacked something in between 100 and 120.
corner loading + lower gain seemed to help.
new mids ordered. i'll play a little with the settings once i throw something together for them.

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 01/29/07 at 06:51:55

Adrian
How are you making out. I would like to know how the MAW driver is working out in the DB.
what changes did you make?
I am "thinking" about building a baltic birch MAW  DB12 and would like to know about your results.

They are Maw mach5 are they not?

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 01/29/07 at 10:01:00

it's the soundsplinter rl-i10.
there is a mach 5 in plan, but i'm thinking about the 18 Kiss
i've managed to tame most of the high freq's. and, boy, does it sound nice on rock.
it's low ('bout down to 33), loud and punchy. and takes gobs of power.
more detailed review after the new mids come on. i'm finally going to have a soundstage.

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 01/29/07 at 13:23:37

Ya I was guessing
they look big, I guess much bigger than I thought.
33Hz that sounds pretty good to me for a 10DB. How did you tame the boomy curse?
Anything unique beyond the mods and tweaks that I have already talked about on the forum.

In any case I am glad that you were able to put a smile on your face  :)
Gex

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 01/29/07 at 18:31:36

this db is in a room not a car am i right?

if so,

i hope your db is tucked away in a corner somewhere, with the port fireing into the corner. if not, you must try this way of useing it, immediately.

my wo32 sounds like a horrible boxy waste of time if i fire it straight into the room via the port, fire it into the floor on small legs and tuck it away in a corner and it sounds like the most detailed fast and accurate sub i have ever heard, filling the listening space with beautiful musical bass.litterally not messing with the xover points ad volume, only the location of it makes that much difference

placement is everything.

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 01/29/07 at 19:05:59

tucked in a corner.
pics of the current setup tomorrow.
i really began enjoying rock.
i set the x-over as low as possible. corner loading improved a bit the low-end and things ended up quite level.
yeah 60, it's in a room Sad

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 01/29/07 at 19:50:33

try positionong the db so the port/opening fires off the floor with about 2 or 3 nches between floor and box.

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 01/30/07 at 13:09:54

current position of the sub in the room. notebooks above the sub are all math homework notebooks. yeah, i study. a lot  :-/

soundstage what ?
new mids will be part of a 2-way system. one speaker will stay in the right corner and the other next to the amp. on a stand
i listen facing the computer screen, so if you've got any other ideas as far as placing some MT's, shoot.

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 01/30/07 at 13:48:39

db is the wrong way round, turn it 180 degrees so the opening /port fires straight at the wall. or flip it so the opening / port fires at the floor. haveing the port/ opening fire  straight into the room like that is bad.

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 01/30/07 at 13:56:51

i would also sujjest turning the desk around 180, have your seat against the wall desk out 2 feet, and set up your speakers and sub on the opposite side of the room.

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #15 - 01/30/07 at 13:57:54

will do.

IP Logged
60_and_up
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 02/06/07 at 23:38:01

[quote author=Adrian D.  link=1169231451/15#15 date=1170165474]will do. [/quote]

well what happend?

IP Logged
Adrian
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 02/07/07 at 07:07:39

nothing, since i didn't have time to try it  :-/

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 02/07/07 at 13:14:55

What?
I thought you single buys have all the time in the world. no kids, only one full time job, no mortgage, a wife with a big appetite in all things that life offer ( except Hi Fi ).Etting out because you don't have 5 mouths to feed.

Get on it Adrian lol  :)

PS caught your recommendation on using one sub.
if your using two of the same type its a little more manageable, but   I have to agree for simplicities sake.

Gex

IP Logged
Adrian
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 02/07/07 at 14:42:18

lol
students are busy studying.
i promise i'll try it by the end of the week.

IP Logged
60_and_up
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 02/07/07 at 23:48:12

studying would be so much easier if your speakers were positioned to give you a soundstage and image and your sub played dry and low.

IP Logged
Adrian
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 02/09/07 at 09:27:02

lol
working on getting a soundstage Smiley
mids are on their way. mdf is beeing cut as type this. router is on it's way Smiley

IP Logged
60_and_up
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 02/09/07 at 14:51:52

[quote author=60ndown  link=1169231451/0#13 date=1170164919]db is the wrong way round, turn it 180 degrees so the opening /port fires straight at the wall. or flip it so the opening / port fires at the floor. haveing the port/ opening fire  straight into the room like that is bad. [/quote]

^x2

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print