Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/26/24 at 09:59:07 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Test Your DeathBox......or anything else.. (Read 7624 times)
VexorgTR
Ex Member

Test Your DeathBox......or anything else..
01/07/07 at 18:39:29

I built my DB's a year or so ago...  and when I tuned them,  I just used music and set the slider where I liked the sound.... That's not a very scientific way, but it worked.   The DB has been in my house for a year and I've had a DB12 in my car for 3 years.   Today I got to test my house DB... hooray.

http://binkster.net/extras.shtml

There's a nice free test CD you can make yourself.
The driver I used has an FS of 30hz...  so I didn't think I'd go any lower...... Surprisingly,  the 25hz tone is barely audible,  but the stuff in my room vibrating says it's definately there.  The 20hz tone moves a few things too.   the 31.5hz tone makes things dance on the tables,  and the 50HZ tone gets really big and shakes up the place.   Grin  The test CD gets things moving more than my music tests did.   I'm surprised to get the response below 30Hz,  but the response above 30hz is dynamite.... and that's where most of the music is anyway. Just if you were wondering,  I used the Dayton Quattro 10" Sub....  a bargain at 65$

Hope you all find it useful.   I'm busy making PA speakers now.  There's lots of great designs online if you just know where to look.   Why buy when you can build?

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Re: Test Your DeathBox......or anything else..
Reply #1 - 01/08/07 at 11:47:03

did the insert cover the port at all ?
seems like i need more powah. gotta shake some things.

IP Logged
Wreckinthehouse
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 01/08/07 at 17:26:12

[quote author=VexorgTR  link=1168198769/0#0 date=1168195169]I built my DB's a year or so ago...  and when I tuned them,  I just used music and set the slider where I liked the sound.... That's not a very scientific way, but it worked.   The DB has been in my house for a year and I've had a DB12 in my car for 3 years.   Today I got to test my house DB... hooray.

http://binkster.net/extras.shtml

There's a nice free test CD you can make yourself.

Which PA plans are you looking at?
The driver I used has an FS of 30hz...  so I didn't think I'd go any lower...... Surprisingly,  the 25hz tone is barely audible,  but the stuff in my room vibrating says it's definately there.  The 20hz tone moves a few things too.   the 31.5hz tone makes things dance on the tables,  and the 50HZ tone gets really big and shakes up the place.   Grin  The test CD gets things moving more than my music tests did.   I'm surprised to get the response below 30Hz,  but the response above 30hz is dynamite.... and that's where most of the music is anyway. Just if you were wondering,  I used the Dayton Quattro 10" Sub....  a bargain at 65$

Hope you all find it useful.   I'm busy making PA speakers now.  There's lots of great designs online if you just know where to look.   Why buy when you can build? [/quote]

IP Logged
VexorgTR
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 01/09/07 at 13:51:54

In my case, the slider just comes up to the edge of the port...  and there's a bit of stuffing in the chamber.   It doesn't take much power to get things to dance....  The 31.5 hz tone will begin to distort if the volume is too loud.. the 50hz is clean all across the board.   The super low tones at medium volume make things rattle... it's not loud to the ear, but you find it hits the resonant frequency of lots of stuff.

The PA Speakers I am making are from the Fitzmaurice line.
http://www.billfitzmaurice.com
Bill and friends can be a little brash in the forums,  so be prepared.   The designs are very good...  although some are difficult builds.  Horn loaded anything is normally very sensitive,  more volume per watt...  very logical in a PA

IP Logged
Wreckinthehouse
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 01/09/07 at 17:38:49

Brash? Which model are you considering? I use DR250's and T48's. I havn't really heard any brashness, but I'll check again Undecided

IP Logged
VexorgTR
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 01/10/07 at 14:30:18

I built a t24/DR250 bass rig...  and WH and WH10 monitors.  Working on other stuff.

When I first started reading the BF forums, I always sensed a "read the plans dummy!"  attitude  when you ask certain questions.   That's what I mean by brash.   Not everyone is a good builder, or even qualified to try,  but we need to be benevolent to those who want to learn.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print