Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 12:46:58 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Driver recommendations (Read 6452 times)
megatr0n1
Ex Member

Driver recommendations
12/20/06 at 20:57:35

I was looking at building the housewrecker with 4 Adire Audio Brahma's. But I wanted to gather some other opinions on subs. I don't want to go over the 350 per driver limit.

Thanks,

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Ex Member

Re: Driver recommendations
Reply #1 - 12/21/06 at 15:35:36

Check out this site http://www.mach5audio.com. The shiping is a little expensive but the quality is excellent. I would proably start with two speakers and then if you are not happy you could install the others later. From my experience just about any woofer/subwoofer will work descent it depends on what your application is going to be.

HT-EXT

IP Logged
Wreckinthehouse
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 12/28/06 at 17:05:09

Loading House wreckers with that kind of X-max is a waste of time and money. The port's are gonna whoosh no matter how much you flare them. Eminence has a couple of nice subs, the Kappalite 3015lf at about 120 bucks or the more powerful Definimax 4015lf can be had for about 225 bucks. Peavey lowriders would also be a good choice for about $175. They all have more than enough x-max to walk those HW's across the floor. Mine were loaded with Black widows that had a X-max of 2.7mm, and I'd have to go bring them back to the stage every so often. Remember Steve designed and tested these HW's with Peavey drivers and in my opinion going with such extravagant woofers is just not needed. Oh, did I mention that the Kappalites have a sensitivity of 99.8db and only weigh 9lbs. Good luck!

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 12/28/06 at 18:35:39

maybe seal the brahma's or put them into a tl or a ported box. but no way a hw. too little port area.
the mach5 idea is great.
now, about pa woofers : i've recently been o a friend's house and listened to his system. 1 15 in a 4th order bandpass. i was thinking where are the lows ? it's a 15 dammit.

IP Logged
Wreckinthehouse
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 12/28/06 at 19:16:49

have you ever heard one horn loaded? Now, I'm not talking about exaderated bass, I'm talking about flat bass response the way it is intended. As far as going low the HW will do it regardless of the driver being used, so his box must not have been right. My horns wont go as low as a HT sub, but WILL spank a HT sub in every ther aspect. Sensitivity, output and the most realistic live sound your gonna get without a band. Horns rule without a doubt. My autotuba will outplay both of my db 10's with a cheap $35 woofer. I'm not in anyway disrespecting Steve's designs, as I have 4-dual 15" loaded HW's and 2- Kove audio loaded db10's, but the horns are so much more efficient and sound so much better to me. There must be a lot to this horn theory or there would be no Imperial.

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 12/29/06 at 07:26:15

[quote author=Wreckinthehouse  link=1166651855/0#4 date=1167333409]have you ever heard one horn loaded? Now, I'm not talking about exaderated bass, I'm talking about flat bass response the way it is intended. As far as going low the HW will do it regardless of the driver being used, so his box must not have been right. My horns wont go as low as a HT sub, but WILL spank a HT sub in every ther aspect. Sensitivity, output and the most realistic live sound your gonna get without a band. Horns rule without a doubt. My autotuba will outplay both of my db 10's with a cheap $35 woofer. I'm not in anyway disrespecting Steve's designs, as I have 4-dual 15" loaded HW's and 2- Kove audio loaded db10's, but the horns are so much more efficient and sound so much better to me. There must be a lot to this horn theory or there would be no Imperial. [/quote]
i haven't heard a horn. yet  :-*
in the end it's all about the application. you don't need sub 40hz in live events but you need them in a ht setup. for IB it would be very sad to use a pa woofer with 3mm x-max. and horns are a little impractical in a smallish room.
light cones vs heavy cones ? application dependent IMHO.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print