Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 07:32:26 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
HWK15 bottom port modified? (Read 31469 times)
HT-EXT
Ex Member

HWK15 bottom port modified?
11/17/06 at 17:12:59

I want to know if anyone has experimented with using extended flared ports in the bottom chamber. I recently wanted the HWK15 to play lower for HT. I put two 4" x 9.5" (flare to flare) ports and fell in love with the results. A shift from 50/63Hz down to 31/40/50Hz(40Hz peak). Just as I started to change the top port I check the output and it to was down also around 40/50Hz(50Hz peak) from 63/80 (6"x 6" port). Is the extra back pressure in the bottom causing the top to also play lower or is it my imagination? If anyone has some mod info please pass it on to me. Replies welcome.       HT-EXT

IP Logged
Bob in St. Louis
Ex Member

Re: HWK15 bottom port modified?
Reply #1 - 11/17/06 at 21:58:57

John helped me with some good mods (for HT).

It's about time to close down shop tonight or I'd elaborate more.

I'll probably check back here in the AM.
For now, if you check the last severl pages of my two very lenthy threads in the HWK forum you'll find John's mods in one of them.

Bob (good night all) TIME TO CLOCK OUT!!!!  ;D

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 11/18/06 at 02:26:36

im sorry, i must be missing something very important? when steve deckert sais,

"Responses range from narrow bandwidth to wide bandwidth with typical responses down to 13 HZ on the all three models. Box can be built for 8's,10's, 12's, 15's or 18 inch woofers.  Note: The design is for a 15, however the the box can be scaled down (and so the performance) to smaller drivers but you will have to specifically tune anything below the original 15" design.
Using musical instrument woofers (ex. PEAVEY BLACK WIDOW) you get tight full accurate bass from 200 down to 40 HZ. Using subwoofers you get big warm full bass that can on command create Subsonic pressures lower than 20 cycles."

i go with that,

why modd something that already works? it already gets down real low?

if we ever have to get into a spaceship and go into space, i want to go in the craft that was designd by scientists, not modders!

im a little tired........

im off 2 bed

IP Logged
bassboy
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 11/18/06 at 03:16:14

60, we've already been through this, remember?  This sport is all about tweaking.  If you are serious enough to swap drivers in search of something better, it's only a small step to trying different ports.  And from there to more serious mods like Bob's, which is still not really that different.  If you can successfully mod something to suit your personal taste, why not?

From my own personal experience I can tell you that since I have achieved greater bass extension I never turn it up as loud as I did before.  It is just more satisfying at any volume level.

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 11/18/06 at 11:54:41

Thanks for the replies and if I oaf-fended anyone by changing an excellent design I aplogize. I believe you build a enclosure for two reasons. First is to listen to it. Second is to tweak it and listen to it again. I am the type if I bought a tank I would want to put a bigger cannon on it eventually. I am modding it to fit my environment and taste. Bassboy had a good point, it takes less power, plays a little lower and is more pleasing to my ears in my environment. I sure BOB changed his to fit his taste and set up. You go BOB and tell them where you got it from! Experimentation and imagination is the only thing that keeps me getting out of bed every morning. This is the mod-oaf over and out.     HT-EXT

IP Logged
Bob in St. Louis
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 11/18/06 at 12:56:01

Quote:
if we ever have to get into a spaceship and go into space, i want to go in the craft that was designd by scientists, not modders!

The first thing that come to mind is: Apollo, Challenger, Columbia  ::)

Since modding a sub has no real potential of physical risk, and no threat of death, shall we continue?

HT-EXT, here's a link to the numbers I tested after John's mods in my room, for my situation. Check post #253:
https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=Housewrecker;action=display;...

That being said, I've had numerous members PMing and emailing me regarding the specifics of the mods. I'll cut and paste the specifics of the mods.

Since most of the LFEs seemed to come from the 'bottom' holes, I flipped it over. I thought the sound was being trapped behind my seating, so flipping it would put the sound over your/my head.

The actual mods done were:
- Tube removed from upper port (the real upper)
- One lower port sealed (Pick one 4" hole. Doesn't matter)
- Other port, install lenth of 4" PVC 13"-17" (you can play with final lenth. If memory serves, I think mine is 17"
- Drivers isoloaded(clamshelled) on top baffle. (the real top)
- Flipped it upside down.
- Build a "stand" from MDF. The stand is (4) pieces that are square, slightly larger dimentions as the HWK. (2) pieces (platform) glued together with {8} six inch long dowel rods 1.5" diameter are the 'columns' seperating the other platform. A hole in the top of the stand (same diameter as the hole in the top of the HWK) is centered so when I flipped it, the top (now bottom) hole isn't covered.

The only money spent was for a lenth of 4" PCV. No harm, No foul, No death, No life ending events.
All mods can be undone if desired to get the device back to "unmodified sonic purity".

Bob

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 11/18/06 at 13:07:21

Thanks Bob. Did you take any pictures of mods as you were building the HWKBOB. Oh yeah, I eyeballed your pics and that is a sweet set up for HT. What have you decided to build next and don't tell me you have not thought about it?     HT-EXT

P.S. My spaceship will be faster because it is "MODIFIED".

IP Logged
paulc
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 11/18/06 at 14:27:35

That "Bob" guy talks stuff but to my knowledge he has never posted any pictures of his "bastardized" HW.

I think he is just pullin our legs and waitin for us to mess up our homebuilt speakers.  I'll bet he is just laughing his arse off at us.

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 11/18/06 at 18:40:40

he Homewreaker lends itself to tweaking more than the other designs.
the 15 requires the least because it is designed for the 15. As we know all drivers are not created equal.
One thing about Steves designs is that they are flexible and he decreases the fart factor for the less adventureous. And those
who cannot spell adventureous.
building by the book is the way to start, but it gets to be downright fun when you play around. I love, to play oh I love to play.

Play play and play....
I believe in you Bob, I believe, oh yes I believe..
ya I know your jus playin paulc Smiley

IP Logged
paulc
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 11/18/06 at 19:45:43

and that "Gexter" fella might be a myth also.

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 11/18/06 at 20:29:35

Yes
I am the myth inc link to everyones myth conceptions of the fallacy of myth information.

I am but a myth to some but well known in myth applications of what is deemed reality.

PS
Good one LOL

IP Logged
paulc
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 11/19/06 at 11:47:25

Well, the Gexter might not be all that bad after all.

BUT, it's been 24 hours and that "Bob" guy has not responded.  That speaks volumes!

IP Logged
Bob in St. Louis
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 11/19/06 at 12:04:14

[quote author=paulc  link=1163787179/0#11 date=1163936845]That speaks volumes! [/quote]

........be right there Dennis, lemme get some coffee,.. jeeezzz!
Keep your pants on.

IP Logged
Bob in St. Louis
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 11/19/06 at 12:20:45

HT-EXT, sorry, no pictures. Really all you'd see is a standard HWK with two drivers clamshelled, a piece of MDF blocking a port (from inside), and a foot and a half section of 4" PVC.
It's not a radical "looking" design.
The stand, I think, is cool looking though. You can't really see it. It's back in a dark corner, under the HWK, behind all the seating, painted black.

Thanks for the support Guy! It's nice to know I've got a friend, albiet a distant friend. These local fellows are "fair weather chaps" you know. Tongue Kiss Smiley

Dennis, you should tell your doctor to lower your perscription of "synical".

Bob

IP Logged
paulc
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 11/19/06 at 12:25:43

In December I'll come bearing incence, muir and jolida.

IP Logged
Bob in St. Louis
Ex Member

Reply #15 - 11/19/06 at 12:27:46

[quote author=HT-EXT  link=1163787179/0#6 date=1163855241]What have you decided to build next and don't tell me you have not thought about it? [/quote]

I've got a few thing in mind to build. It'll be awhile though. I've got a new receiver with too many bells and whistles, mated to (4) new 15" Open Baffle drivers. Trying for that 'synergy' thing is taking longer than expected.  ::)
Trying to get all the new toys to play together nicely is trying my patience......

Quote:
P.S. My spaceship will be faster because it is "MODIFIED".

you mean like these folks:
http://www.xprize.org/

Yea baby, that modding!!!  ;D

Bob

IP Logged
Bob in St. Louis
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 11/19/06 at 12:35:23

Dennis, when you speak to me please use small words. I confuse easily. I had to look up 'muir'.

Webster.com:

"Muir";
Pronunciation: 'myur
Function: biographical name
John 1838-1914 American (Scottish-born) naturalist

Please don't bring a 92 year old corpse into my house. ???

Bob Wink

IP Logged
paulc
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 11/19/06 at 12:44:34

busted!

IP Logged
Bob in St. Louis
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 11/19/06 at 12:50:48

Oh, I get it.....the incense was to cover the smell of the dead guy!   Gotcha!

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 11/19/06 at 17:07:27

[quote author=Bob in St. Louis  link=1163787179/0#13 date=1163938845]

Thanks for the support Guy! It's nice to know I've got a friend, albiet a distant friend. These local fellows are "fair weather chaps" you know. Tongue Kiss Smiley

Dennis, you should tell your doctor to lower your perscription of "synical".

Bob [/quote]

Thanks Bob no prob....
I will not even mention "synical"
LOL

PS you fellas are making me laugh you wil have to stop now.
I guess I am bringing the frankincense

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 11/20/06 at 13:28:04

No worries Bob. I was thinking Steve's deputys were going to run us "free-grazers" out of town. For the record it's not "bastardized" it's "BOB-ized". Besides I have been breaking the rules/standards most of my life no sense to stop now.   HT-EXT

P.S. My spaceship is still faster and has a sound system that will go low in zero gravity.

IP Logged
paulc
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 11/20/06 at 14:18:27

Guess he told me!

IP Logged
Bob in St. Louis
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 11/20/06 at 14:59:42

Dennis, that may have been your payback for telling to go 'Google' himself.  :-*

Bob Smiley

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 11/20/06 at 15:21:59

paulc quote:
None of this equipment is modified, I have faith in Mr. Deckert's ear

How much did it cost to sew Mr. Deckert's ear onto your head?     HT-EXT

IP Logged
Bob in St. Louis
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 11/20/06 at 16:06:36

LOL, HT-EXT!!

Doesn't that affect the imaging Steve hears?

Bob

(Love ya' Dennis  ;D)

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 11/20/06 at 20:30:30

[quote author=Bob in St. Louis  link=1163787179/15#15 date=1163939266]

I've got a few thing in mind to build. It'll be awhile though. I've got a new receiver with too many bells and whistles, mated to (4) new 15" Open Baffle drivers. Trying for that 'synergy' thing is taking longer than expected.  ::)
Trying to get all the new toys to play together nicely is trying my patience......

you mean like these folks:
http://www.xprize.org/

Yea baby, that modding!!!  ;D

Bob
[/quote]

Why don't they just slap some speedy stickers like NOS, Brembo, APEXi, etc on the current spaceship?

IP Logged
Bob in St. Louis
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 11/20/06 at 20:38:35

Who knows, it may show up at the next NOPI fest with some hot lookin' almost naked chickys standing next to it.

Bob

IP Logged
paulc
Ex Member

Reply #27 - 11/20/06 at 22:36:10

Easy there Robert

IP Logged
Bob in St. Louis
Ex Member

Reply #28 - 11/21/06 at 03:22:57

[quote author=paulc  link=1163787179/15#27 date=1164062170]Easy there Robert [/quote]

You're right Dennis. I'll chill out. Sorry.  :(

I was going to say something about "modifying" someone's 'bottom port', but I won't.

Bob(tee hee, giggle, snicker Wink)

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Ex Member

Reply #29 - 11/21/06 at 10:21:13

No stickers just flat black. NMRA or Outlaw 10.5 but not NOPI! Who wants to hear a bunch of "mad weed whackers" race? Bob don't let the WAF know you have been thinking about other bottom ports or it will be the end of HT for you.        HT-EXT

IP Logged
Bob in St. Louis
Ex Member

Reply #30 - 11/21/06 at 11:01:21

She knows she's got the best bot...... Oh hell, nevermind. Smiley

Bob

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Ex Member

Reply #31 - 11/22/06 at 16:40:28

Hey BOB I was curious to know how much wattage you are putting to your HWKBOB. Just a ballpark nothing exact. I was reading some of the test you conducted and the DB output you recorded. How far away is HWK from your main listening area? I am only putting about 100 watts or so to mine and love the results. I don't on the other hand think the HWK is ideal for HT. I've got it so I use it. The main reason I started modding was due to the low power application. Shot me a reply back when you get a chance.   HT-EXT  

IP Logged
Bob in St. Louis
Ex Member

Reply #32 - 11/22/06 at 18:35:05

900 watts bridged from a Legion LSA-900.

Distance wise, well,... put it this way, when I had the ports FACING the listening position, you could feel the breeze.
I had to turn the ports facing the other way. (scared the HELL out of me when the air hit the back of my head) Grin

IP Logged
Bob in St. Louis
Ex Member

Reply #33 - 11/22/06 at 18:38:08

Of course the pic doesn't work,
You can right click on the pretty little red "x", 'copy' the address found in the properties, then 'paste' in another window.  ::)
Sorry

Bob

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print