Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/26/24 at 16:22:43 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A new Environment for my Imperial (Read 18218 times)
BIG_GEOFF
Ex Member

A new Environment for my Imperial
11/08/06 at 02:49:08

I decided to use my Imperial as my graduation project for school and im due to present it the week of thanksgiving.  I plan on bring it to school in a van, and setting it up in the gym, to play it a bit during my presentation.  Im sorta psyched to hear it in the gym, ive never heard it, or any other imperial in a large gymnasium before.  Ive had it outside and in my basement but im interested to hear the effects the gym has on it. Ill keep you guys posted on that.  Oh, and ill also be bringing in my 12" WO, im not sure whether to have that play in the classroom i present in or the gym, what are your suggestions?

IP Logged
Buggers
Ex Member

Re: A new Environment for my Imperial
Reply #1 - 11/13/06 at 15:24:07

The Gym The Gym The Gym WoooooHooooo!  :D

IP Logged
BIG_GEOFF
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 11/14/06 at 00:10:16

OKay, sounds good.  I just painted my imperial this past weekend.  I put two layers of primer down and then just 2 layers of white.  Im going to cover the entire front of the speaker in a giant grill cloth with a thin 1"x1" frame for suppport.  I was originally going to just cover the drivers but i dont want things crawling up the horn (insects, mice, cats, small children, etc.,) plus i think it will look pretty nice.   Ill post some pictures this week some time.

IP Logged
BIG_GEOFF
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 11/15/06 at 01:18:33

Heres the pictures.  Haven't finished the front grill yet.

IP Logged
Mike W
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 11/15/06 at 12:29:07

Nice work Smiley

IP Logged
bassboy
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 11/15/06 at 16:51:18

I painted my imperial white as well.  Thought I might be the only one, but I guess not.

Anyway, I'm not sure how you painted yours, but here's a hint for anyone that wants to paint one of these.  Don't try to paint the inside with a brush.  It took me 20 or 30 minutes per coat just to do the inside of the horn with a brush.  It's not quick or easy, as you have to get right up inside there and twist your body in ways it does not want to go.  For the last coat I smartened up and used a roller.  If you do it that way it's a 2 minute job (just remember to do the corners first with a brush).

Geoff's imperial looks great now, and since mine is white too and I've never posted a pic of mine you can get a good idea of what mine looks like as well.  Mine does not have the dual driver, or the bracing on the back wall and my wood is almost 3x thicker, making the entire box a few inches larger overall, but other than that mine is exactly the same!

IP Logged
BIG_GEOFF
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 11/15/06 at 23:45:57

Yeah, i did the same thing with the inside of the mouth.  I rollered mostly the entire thing, and came out really smooth, but the inside corners i had to break out the brush.  Overall took about 3/4 gallon of primer and about 1 gallon of interior white.  I really like the look.  Now i just need to get the grill done.  Can i purchase grill cloth at a cloth warehouse? I dont really feel like ordering any offline...
Thanks for the comments Cheesy

-Geoff

IP Logged
Valiant_ap6
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 11/25/06 at 23:04:26

Hiya BIG_GEOFF,
I guess my reply is a little late coming, with all sorts of things happening around here my pc time is limited. Interested to hear the various comments re: painting the imperial. I too rollered mine, seeing as I used particle board for the panelling. Jake and I painted many of the interior panels before assembly, leaving only narrow, bare strips where the panels and the braces would be glued and screwed. After filling all the screw heads and seams, our choice of colour was black undercoat, followed by a rich black hammer finish gloss. I think it looks superb. Definately roller is the way to go. I only wish I thinned the hammer paint slightly, it had a tendency to pull some fluff off the roller brush here and there.

I've done a few speaker grills in the past, it's not too difficult. I bought the cloth through the various electronic hardware suppliers here in Oz, it is is invariably black. I had a browse through various manchester stores in town and never saw quite the same cloth, some might do the job, but perhaps not look quite right. Of course, you don't have to use black!

I use 1/4 round wood, about 3/4 radius. Glue and screw the corners. Extra bracing across the middle of the frame is optional, you don't tension the cloth so much that it is going to bend the frame. Paint the frame flat black (If you are using black cloth).

I also use the little clip on 'noddies' near the corners for frame removal. They only cost a couple of $$ and are easy to install. Fix the 'male' end to your frames - suitable hole and some glue, then lay the frame on the speaker box and mark where the 'female' insert will be located. etc.

Oh, we didn't cover the Imperials, they look just fine as they are. Standing with the speakers on top keeps all the good things out of reach of little hands. (Oh, and dogs  >:( Sad Shocked).

If you get stuck with the grill cloth, give me a yell, I may have some laying around.

Cheers,

Gazman.

IP Logged
Valiant_ap6
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 11/25/06 at 23:22:36

Oh, and your Imperial looks fantastic, must tell us how the presentation went.

IP Logged
BIG_GEOFF
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 11/28/06 at 02:16:15

I think a grill may be needed very soon.  I had my entire family over for thanksgiving; including all 20 of my younger cousins on my father's side, and yeah, they all found a huge interest in my imperial... maybe too much interest.  I walked downstairs to find that the dust caps on my two 15's were dented in.  I had the same problem on my line arrays.  Why is it that little kids love to press the dust caps in on my speakers?!?! Cry Cry  Has anyone else ever had this problem?

I've popped them back out before on other speakers, although my method was rather crued: get a pin and bend it at a 90 degree angle in the middle, poke it through the dust cap, and using the bent part of it to pull the dented part out.  It leaves a little hole in it though.  Any suggestions on how to fix this w/o adding further damage to the dust caps?

Quote:
Posted by: Valiant_ap6 Posted on: 11/25/06 at 17:22:36
Oh, and your Imperial looks fantastic, must tell us how the presentation went.  
My presentation at school went better than i could have expected.  The teachers that i had grade my presentation were all younger teachers who were all right out of college pretty much so they loved the loud music aspect of it.  I had my imperial in the gym with my 12" WO by its side.  It sounded fastastic.  I had a lot of other students wonder in to the gym thinking there was a dance going on or some other big event.  Probably about 25 students said my Imperial sounded better than any dj's speaker system thats ever performed at my school.  I walked away from that all with a huge grin on my face and a big thanks to Steve for designing an amazing speaker!

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 11/28/06 at 03:13:14

Hmmm
the dust cap problem.. never heard of it.

No I am Kidding. I have lost count of all the speakers that have been modified by kids. They like to poke sharp pointing things in the cone as well.
one of my full range fostex had a close call a couple months back. the heavy doping on the come saved it from a puncture.
I use the same method of repair on my speakers with the pin, but it only works well once or twice.
I learned to put grills on them right away because it saves the speakers from felt pens, pencils, fingers, and hockey balls.
I have a custom colored grill cloth that has a wonderful pattern of a blue jiffy marker on it.
All speakers should all have covers because they are an easy fix, the cool factor goes down but thats only with speaker geeks.

PS your a lucky fella to be able to build and keep an imperial.
and you do nice work!

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 11/28/06 at 13:28:24

you could try to pop it out using some stickers ? maybe try to attach some duct tape to the dented part and pull on it...
i've seen the 'press on the dustcap' syndrome quite often.

IP Logged
stvcmty
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 11/28/06 at 19:46:59

If the drivers have a vented pole peace, remove the screen in back, and slide something that is not metal though the back of the magnet/basket to push the dust cap out.

IP Logged
dank
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 11/29/06 at 00:02:43

I have heard, but have never tried, that a vacuum cleaner works for popping the dents out of dust caps.

I have also heard a story, again un-proven, involving a dented dust cap and a voluptuous female's mouth that resulted in the dust cap popping right out (up?).

Dan

IP Logged
Braggi
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 12/04/06 at 17:38:36

Dust caps can be removed with careful scalpel or Xacto knife work. Replacements are pretty easy to glue back on. Most speaker repair places have replacements for a few bucks. Just give them the make and model of the speaker and the diameter of the dust cap (as well as the material).

I usually remove the grilles when I'm listening to music but put them back on the rest of the time. The cloth on mine really kills the sound. I'd like to build new grilles that I could leave in place. I like the black plastic mesh/cloth you see on guitar amplifiers and pro sound cabinets since it seems to affect the sound very little but I don't know a source for it.

IP Logged
Terry
Ex Member

Reply #15 - 12/24/06 at 07:55:00

I have used a vacuum to pull out dust caps before, care is needed though.

TG Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print