Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 12:52:59 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Newbie First Build Questions (Read 1628 times)
Blake
Ex Member

Newbie First Build Questions
10/24/06 at 15:42:20

I've been reading the posts in this forum for a couple of weeks.  There are a couple of questions I still have regarding my particular application.

I'm planning to build two 15" or 18" HW cabs for music playback in my recording studio.  They will be in a 20'X30' room for the bands to hear what they've recorded.  The "top" speakers will be JBL 4311B's, ( 12"WMT), W/2 stereo amps and an active x-over.   I'm primarily concerned with a good, tight "true-to-life" sound and not really concerned with anything below 20Hz.

My questions are:  
1)  Best way to load?  Seems like 1-up/1-down is recommended for music by several people...

2)  Best Speakers for this cabinet considering my application?

3)  I'd like to place the JBL's on top of the HW's.  Has anybody moved the port?  I know. . . "don't change the design"!  But, Ive heard that a port can be moved if it is: "at least the width if the port" away from an edge, and "at least the width of the port" away from the closest speaker.  There was also a post about a slot port but I can't find it.  

Thanks in advance for your patience in revisiting these questions.  I know that they are probably listed elsewhere, but after a couple of weeks of looking, everything isstartingtoruntogetherandi'mgettingconfusedandi'nfeelinflikesuchadumbs#!t.

-Blake

IP Logged
Bob in St. Louis
Ex Member

Re: Newbie First Build Questions
Reply #1 - 10/24/06 at 17:42:31

Blake, I've got some experience with the HWK, however my goal was not musicality. I would think the room would have a huge effect on driver placement and quantity needed. That's a huge room, so you'll be needing at least 2+ per enclosure I'm sure. What kind of music? How loud?

My first build was two drivers with magnets in center chamber, wired p/p, with a 900 watt amp bridged. Seemed pretty musical to me, but It didn't take me long to deviate from that to Home theater.

Hopefully one of the "HWK pros" can help you better.
--Check out the HWK white sheet for Steves recommended loading, also.

Bob

IP Logged
paulc
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/24/06 at 18:29:35

Hey Blake,

Welcome to the forum.

Someone I know has turned his HW upside down with little feet on the bottom(top).  This way you could stick to the plans and be able to put whatever on top.

Just a thought.

IP Logged
Bob in St. Louis
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 10/24/06 at 18:36:25

Kiss  Thanks Dennis    ;D

The feet were glued, screwed, and nailed.
Very permanent.
So when I flipped upside down, it looks funny. Embarrassed

Bob Wink

IP Logged
paulc
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 10/24/06 at 18:38:11

Looks funny?  But, do it ROCK?

IP Logged
Bob in St. Louis
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 10/24/06 at 18:48:21

[quote author=paulc  link=1161704541/0#4 date=1161711491]Looks funny?  But, do it ROCK? [/quote]

There was a day here awhile back that I could tell you the resonating frequency of every light fixture in my room.... and upstairs.

Yea, it rocks.  :D
Blake will like it if we can "get him hooked up". Grin

Dennis, how is yours set-up?

Bob

IP Logged
Blake
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 10/24/06 at 19:23:40

Thanks for the feedback!

The "upside down" idea makes a lot of sense. . . like sofa feet-size?

The JBL's are old-school 3-ways that can get pretty loud.  If anyone remembers the old L-100's, they are the same thing with upgraded components designed for studio use.  I just had them rebuilt (cost a small fortune).  They can make your ears distort before the speaker does with only about 150 watts.  Now I need some, "knock-your-di Shockedk-in-the-dirt" subs to finish the job.  This system will allow the clients (who wish) to hear their stuff back real loud.

I'm not an audiophile. . this system is for the "wow" factor, as we say in this business.  Mostly for metal and rap clients.

-Blake    

IP Logged
paulc
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 10/24/06 at 21:24:55

Hey Blake,

You may just be a candidate for  Imperials instead of the Housewrecker.

A thought.

IP Logged
Bob in St. Louis
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 10/24/06 at 21:30:45

[quote author=Blake  link=1161704541/0#6 date=1161714220]The "upside down" idea makes a lot of sense. . . like sofa feet-size? [/quote]

Yea, kinda.... What I did was took one of the waste pieces from the driver cutout (15" diameter MDF circle), cut it like pizza into 4 equal 'slices'. I then ran the 'slices' across a router table to "get the edge off" using a roundover bit so the heavy S.O.B. could be scooted across the carpet easier. Then attached them to the bottom of the HWK (which has since become the top Roll Eyes)

Quote:
They can make your ears distort ........"knock-your-di Shockedk-in-the-dirt" ........... hear their stuff back real loud .......... this system is for the "wow" factor, as we say in this business .........  Mostly for metal and rap clients.

I think we might just be able to thow the 'musicallity' thing out the window and try to break some of your windows......
Follow this thread...
https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=Housewrecker;action=display;...

I'd recommend building one or two, listening for awhile, if it's not enough, do the mods. I've got db/HZ numbers, but they are for a different driver.

Bob

IP Logged
Bob in St. Louis
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 10/24/06 at 21:32:39

[quote author=paulc  link=1161704541/0#7 date=1161721495]You may just be a candidate for  Imperials instead of the Housewrecker.
A thought. [/quote]

hmmm. More visual wow factor than a HWK...
Might be a good idea overall

IP Logged
Blake
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 10/24/06 at 22:09:40

..visual and audio "wow". . . however, I love the combination of beer, power tools and the smell of MDF in the morning; and I don't think my liver could handle a set of Imperials right now!  

-B

IP Logged
Bob in St. Louis
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 10/25/06 at 02:08:29

What about your lower back moving around an Imperial or two?
--Not that the HWK is an easy one to move around. (trust me, I threw my back out when I flipped it upside down Roll Eyes)

Anybody know what a HWK15 wieghs? with or without drivers?

Bob

IP Logged
Rap
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 10/25/06 at 14:16:25

[quote author=Bob in St. Louis  link=1161704541/0#11 date=1161738509]What about your lower back moving around an Imperial or two?
--Not that the HWK is an easy one to move around. (trust me, I threw my back out when I flipped it upside down Roll Eyes)

Anybody know what a HWK15 wieghs? with or without drivers?

Bob [/quote]

Depends on how much stuffing you have inside ??? Undecided Wink

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 10/25/06 at 14:43:16

id think youd need longer feet than a few inches if you flip the hwk, 6" minimum for an 18"

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 10/25/06 at 15:29:42

why would you need 6" feet for a hwk-18 ?
x2 on the imperial idea. that would really kill.
imo, you need a pretty accurate design is you will play mostly rap and metal.
i'd estimate an imperial at about 250 - 300 lbs if made out of mdf. so the hw won't be such a bish to move around.

IP Logged
Bob in St. Louis
Ex Member

Reply #15 - 10/25/06 at 15:48:05

The feet are 3/4" MDF, the only purpose was to have a nice, smooth, rounded edge that won't grab the carpet and snag it. Not nessesarily to "raise it up".
I would have routered the actual HWK, but the screws are close enough to the edges, they'd hit the router bit.

Bob

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 10/25/06 at 16:05:14

i think if the feet are too short it might restrcict the output from the port?

IP Logged
Bob in St. Louis
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 10/25/06 at 16:48:47

The feet are on the bottom (the true bottom, as it was designed).
Dennis is messing with me because it's upside down now, with the ports on top along with the feet.
The "top" is now on the bottom, I build a 6" stand for it, made with 2 pieces of MDF, one has a matching hole for the top port. Eight Columns of 1.25" maple dowel rod are the feet, countersunk into another piece of MDF.

Bob

IP Logged
Blake
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 10/25/06 at 17:14:50

That was in the back of my mind too.  It would be easy enough to expeirment with some scraps.  I have an old passive (BIC?) down-fireing 15" sub.  It's only a couple of inches up, but the entire surface area of the driver is exposed to the floor.  Not sure how a  port would react on a hardwood floor at that distance.  We'll see. . . got the MDF today.  

Blake

IP Logged
Blake
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 10/25/06 at 17:20:08

Beat me to the punch. . .why do I have the feeling that Bob is always going to be one step ahead of me during this whole build?  It's a good thing though. . . thanks.

-Blake

IP Logged
Bob in St. Louis
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 11/06/06 at 21:07:54

Well Blake, how's it going?

Bob

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print